Mazda 6 Forums banner

Which brand of power steering rack is best?

• OEM Mazda (GK2A-32-110A)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • AC Delco (36R0701)

• A-1 Cardone (262031)

• AAE (3086)

• BBB-Vision OE (3080147)

• Detroit Axle (25924)

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • BuyAutoParts - Amazon (80-00939R)

• ARC (70-4093)

• Other

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Rally Racer
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I am going to replace my power steering rack and I thought I would ask the community what peoples impressions were about better brands to go with. I have recently had poor luck with an OEM Mazda re-manufactured CV shaft so I am opening my source supply options.

If anyone has anything other than I listed please feel free to let me know.

·
Registered
603 Posts
While I can’t speak for the steering racks themselves I’ve had good luck with suspension parts from a company on eBay called Detroit Axle they are also fairly cheap, just throwing this out there as something to consider I have used their control arms on three vehicles (including my 6) and their struts on one vehicle (06 Chrysler 300)
At this point I’ve put over 13k on my control arms trouble free
https://ebay.com/usr/detroitaxle

EDIT:posted originally in Tapatalk and couldn't see the poll
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Rally Racer
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
While I can’t speak for the steering racks themselves I’ve had good luck with suspension parts from a company on eBay called Detroit Axle they are also fairly cheap, just throwing this out there as something to consider I have used their control arms on three vehicles (including my 6) and their struts on one vehicle (06 Chrysler 300)

I used them for U-joints and differential ring & pinion sets 20 years ago with good results.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Another option is a low mileage used one.

·
Registered
603 Posts

This isn’t a bad idea either, it would probably be the cheapest route too I know that my scrapyard of choice (Pull-A-Part) lets racks go for under $60

·
Registered
435 Posts
+1. If I had to replace mine, I'd go with the DA one. I have a complete front end kit from them ready to go on my car. Just haven't had the time to get to it yet.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
To comment on what else I've used....as far as my experiences with A1 Cardone, they have been good. I used a reman'd rack from them on one of my old 626s. I've used Delco and Buyautoparts before, but not for Racks specifically, but I've generally had good experiences with their parts too.

·
Rally Racer
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@bluedevil6 also suggested this.

I have thought about this option as well but with the rather large list of steering rack complaints for the 1st gen., and not being able to tell what the mileage is when I am at the yard, it would be a long shot. Pulling the rack is not an insignificant amount of work either.
I may use this option for the CV shaft.

Thanks for your comments about the other brands as well. I have used ACDelco Professional for all my suspension arms with good luck.

@DJ Raydiate thanks for the suggestion. My only hesitation is the price. I worry that they are nearly half the price of all the others. Price=quality?

Do people really replace all the rubber lines at the same time as suggested by A1 Cardone and others?

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Do people really replace all the rubber lines at the same time as suggested by A1 Cardone and others?
No I haven't replaced lines unless they look rough...ie leaking/weeping or frayed edges/cracks. When I took out my rack to replace the tie rods, everything still looked in serviceable shape. YMMV

Also you are right, the rack removal isn't exactly an easy one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
4 Participants
hurddawg
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing