Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a weird problem with my power steering. It quit working when at idle or low RPM's. When driving, it's fine. Also if I rev up the engine, it improves quite a bit, but still not quite normal. Any ideas? I'm unsure if it's actually the pump or something else.

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum

It would be most helpful if you could provide details about your car.

Also please note that you have posted in a section specific to the MazdaSpeed6, which varies in many ways from the standard Mazda6, and if your requesting info on the non-Speed version you may get better answers in their section.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Woops, totally forgot car details.
It's a 2006 Mazdaspeed6 with about 40k on it.
It sounds like maybe the pump is on its way out. Or a control valve, or whatever is used to control the hydrolics. I don't know much about PS systems, sadly. I guess you've checked for low fluid and leaks and such? The pump is variable with engine speed. Maybe low or dirty fluid could cause problems? This car is hard on its PS. Many have had problems. I think frequent fluid changes, with a higher temp tolerant fluid is beneficial.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just bought the car a few months ago. It looks like fluid has been leaking from the reservoir for a while. It was low, but not empty. I filled it up to the proper mark, but it didn't help at all. I know some cars have filters somewhere in the power steering lines. Do these cars have replaceable filters? Also, I noticed a wire is going to the pump. I'm assuming the computer is controlling when the pump is active. Is there some type of controller involved?

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
my first thought is that as a 2006 you should have warranty till 50,000 miles.

Much as I hesitate to suggest taking a Speed6 to a Mazda Dealer, in this case you may well want to start there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't reached the mile limit for the warranty, but I've reached the time limit. It ran out a month ago. I hate to bring it to a dealer as well. That's why I thought I'd post here first.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I had this problem when I bought my MS6 for the first week. The used car manager told me to report ANY issues in the car and bring it back to get it serviced. This was one of them. My fluid was filled to the proper level but it was dirtier than sin. I took it in to get it serviced and according to the techs, they flushed the system out, but didn't mention anything about filter replacement. That's all they told me. If you're going to take it to the stealership, I would strongly suggest to at least take it where they service Mazdaspeeds... at least.

Better yet, fock the PS, remove the pump. Less accessory drag :D

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
I think the wire you noted is to the pressure switch. Look at your fluid to observe how fouled or dirty it is. Hopefully something simple like that, bc it's a bitch to work on. And costly if you don't do it yourself.

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
Thanks for coming back and updating your post!
Always nice to hear what happened

Reactions: IHeartGroceries

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a PS pump on the way out. Where did you find the replacement pump? I've tried the usual NAPA, Advanced, etc and none carry MS6 pump. The only source I've found is online at autopartswarehouse. Is there a better alternative?

·
Registered
738 Posts
try rockauto.com .... they have great prices.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts