Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to advanced auto parts and saw that they had power steering fluid so i bought it. then i checked my manual and noticed that we have to use Atf Dexon III??? so does this mean i can't use the power steering fluid?

Thanks,

And sorry if this is a stupid question.. i don't want to put wrong fluid in my car.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I and others have used Mobil-1 Mercon V ATF without any problems. I have a turkey baster in the garage I've used to change out the old ATF for new. There's a how to somewhere around here....search and you'll see.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Yup must use ATF fluid, I too made the mistake of putting power steering fluid in there and good thing caught it in time.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol thanks guys good deal.. I put a little of some Atf Dexron III fuild that i had laying around... just to top it off.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I used Redline PS fluid and haven't noticed any leaks, maybe I got lucky.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Turbo it may not show any leaks, but it may damage the steering system. Like what zoom zoom said it may cause corrosion and unwanted wear in the system...

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
QUOTE (djmarkian @ May 21 2009, 03:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1563221
Turbo it may not show any leaks, but it may damage the steering system. Like what zoom zoom said it may cause corrosion and unwanted wear in the system...[/b]
Good to know, all Ive heard previously is that it causes leaks. Looks like I'll be swapping fluid this weekend.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Yah very sorry turbo for making you work this weekend lol...

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
QUOTE (djmarkian @ May 21 2009, 04:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1563246
Yah very sorry turbo for making you work this weekend lol...[/b]
Thats okay, I'll be sure to call you a jackass to your face if we ever meet. HATEHATEHATE!

Redline has ATF fluid that meets the Dexron III requirements so I'll just switch to that.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
QUOTE (Turbo6Girl @ May 21 2009, 03:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1563250
Thats okay, I'll be sure to call you a jackass to your face if we ever meet. HATEHATEHATE!

Redline has ATF fluid that meets the Dexron III requirements so I'll just switch to that.[/b]
LOL dont hate im just looking out for ya... and I mean who wants to spend money on fixing our cars especially with this situations right?...

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
QUOTE (djmarkian @ May 21 2009, 04:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1563252
LOL dont hate im just looking out for ya... and I mean who wants to spend money on fixing our cars especially with this situations right?...[/b]
Pfft, you know I was joking. I appreciate the lookout, the last time I saw this brought up people had only mentioned that leaks could occur which I haven't seen but if it's going to eat and abuse my PS pump then I'd rather change it. Rally Sport can get me the fluid in 24 hours for $10 so it's not a huge ordeal =D

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
QUOTE (Turbo6Girl @ May 21 2009, 03:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1563256
Pfft, you know I was joking. I appreciate the lookout, the last time I saw this brought up people had only mentioned that leaks could occur which I haven't seen but if it's going to eat and abuse my PS pump then I'd rather change it. Rally Sport can get me the fluid in 24 hours for $10 so it's not a huge ordeal =D[/b]
I know you were just kidding, but like I said im just looking out for you and the other members here who has the same question and problem...

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
QUOTE (djmarkian @ May 21 2009, 04:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1563267
I know you were just kidding, but like I said im just looking out for you and the other members here who has the same question and problem...[/b]
Hehe.

Maybe I'll even do my PTO fluid, just need to get a wrench that will fit and then she will be done for the year.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I'm sure glad I saw this! I was at the track this weekend and I figured out what my leak was PS fluid. I went to PepBoys and bought some PS Fluid and its in there now! Will change to ATF this week.

Thanks for the heads up!

Y

Now to search for the link to the "how to replace PS fluid".........

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Replacing it is a bitch, to be honest. I used a hand pump from AutoZone, out cars have a little ledge type thing keeping it from being an easy process. Pump x amount out, put x amount in. Wash, rinse, repeat. Took me forever to do with the hand pump but dammit I got it.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
It was messy and irresponsible for the environment, but what I did was just remove the bottom hose and let everything out. It worked and stuff... just a tip lol... then I cleaned the whole area with brake cleaner and stuff... good luck ppl.

·
Registered
480 Posts
THX DJ!

Y

1 - 20 of 22 Posts