Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats wrong with the world ive just noticed I need a power steering fluid top up so I look at the manual, its says dexron II or equal right no idea what that means but halfords will...nope, theve sold me castrol automatic TQ Dexron III transmission fluid.

Before I put it in my car id thought id ask the boyz..

so what should I do boyz..

cheers

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Um, the ATX uses Mercon V for tranny fluid, not sure about the MTX.

Also, I am not sure what you are talking about, so please type something coherent

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sory little bit over worked.

ive a 2.3 sport Mazda 6 02 16v, need to top up my power steering fluid and want to know what to use, im in england and a newbie so ive not a lot of knowledge on what all these captial letters mean?

Halfords advised me to buy Castrol Automatic TQ Dextron III transmission fluid and I just want to know if that is okay to top up my power steering fluid? if not I dont know what to buy and where to buy it from.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
What is Halford's??? Just use what ever the book calls for. Or, check with your local dealer if you are still unsure.

BTW, welcome from the other side of the Big Pond.

·
Registered
275 Posts
That is what he is trying to ask.

Cliff Notes:
His manual says to use Dexron II or equivalent for power steering fluid. So he went to an auto parts store (I assume) named Halfords. Halfords doesn't have Dexron II and tried to sell him Dexron III instead. ScRipt wants to know if Dexron III is a safe alternative before he actually tries it and potentially ruins his PS pump.

ScRipt - I don't know whether Dexron III is a safe alternative for Dexron II. I wouldn't trust a min-wage parts junkie or most ppl that post on a general auto forum (with a few exceptions) on something that could potentially cost you a LOT of money if they are wrong.

IMHO, call your local dealership and see what they recommend. Alternately, search/post on www.bobistheoilguy.com and see what recommendations you get there. That forum is much more specific to the type of info you need.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
Monk
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing