Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed some LED fogs, DRLs and a footwell light kit recently. I blew the ignition 30 amp fuse during install, replaced it right away. Now the power seat (drivers side) is not working. I checked the 30 amp fuse on the interior fuse box "P.Seat (D)". Appears to be fine. How would you guys go about diagnosing this?

2014, Touring

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts
I'd unplug everything that you installed recently and see if it worked then. Eliminate all changes to the environment to isolate the issue.

Double check fuses and replace the driver's one just to be sure it's not the cause.

Come back here with anything you find :)

·
Registered
704 Posts
^^ agree with Byakuya.

The led fogs and drls should be plug and play. Did you tap into any wires for those? Where did you tap into for the power for the footwells? I'm leaning here for this issue.

Check all fuses inside the hood and inside the car.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I'll do that and report back. Probably not till this weekend though. Pesky job

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow. I'm an idiot. I took a harder look at the interior fuse box and found my 30 amp seat fuse in the wrong slot. Thanks for being a sounding board for this silly mistake.

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts
Wow. I'm an idiot. I took a harder look at the interior fuse box and found my 30 amp seat fuse in the wrong slot. Thanks for being a sounding board for this silly mistake.

D'oh!

Glad you found what it was :)

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts
^^ Looks great. May I ask which LED strips you used for the footwells and how you hooked them up? I desperately miss the ones I had in my V6, but the same kit didn't work with my 3rd gen and never bothered getting a new one.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^^ Looks great. May I ask which LED strips you used for the footwells and how you hooked them up? I desperately miss the ones I had in my V6, but the same kit didn't work with my 3rd gen and never bothered getting a new one.
Thanks @Byakuya! The pictures of your older 6 was a big part of my inspiration!

I bought the OPT7 Aura kit on Amazon @ $45 you can't beat it.

• every color you can think of
  • smart dimming settings that "remember" how bright you like each color
  • color strobe... at it's slowest setting looks like like the car is breathing
  • courtesy light wire... hook it up to your dome light circut as an alternate power source. However I haven't hooked it up... more on that later.
For install I used this thread as my go-to reference: http://forum.mazda6club.com/3rd-gen/379633-opt7-interior-led-system-installed.html

INSTALL & WIRING

For the FRONT, I just used the 3M tape that comes on the back. Glovebox had a good location. Drivers side had very few options. The best spot left the strip exposed so I painted the edge with black nail polish. It's not perfect and I'll most likely install something to cover it. Maybe a piece of foam core?? Suggestions welcome.

For the BACK I installed strips under the lip of the rear seat bench, right where the floor panel meets the leather. The strips face forward but the edge of the seat blocks them from view. Totally invisible. Passengers legs may block the light but I like the ambience better. I used the included brackets and zip tied the edges to secure them inplace. Holds up great even with a curious 3 year old.

All wires are routed to forward middle console footwell area. For the back I got a trim removal tool set and routed wires along the outer edges of the car (where factory wiring goes). I'm really happy with how it turned out in the back. You can't see anything.

For power I was using the 12v adapter plug until I could hard wire this week. Kit came with 3 sizes of add-a-fuse. I connected to the r.outlet1, 3rd fuse down on the right column of the inner fuse box. The smallest size fuse didn't want to stay put so I went with the longer pronged add-a-fuse. I connected the negative lead to the nut that is in that same fuse box. Don't expect the power to work until you actually unscrew and screw in the nut connected. I kept testing via touch and it didn't work. I guess it needed more surface area.

First time I've vever done anything like this to a car. Can't say enough good stuff about this kit. I'm planning on doing the Opt7 Underglow kit down the line, but might have a pro install it.

If you ever figure out the courtesy light feature please respond to here with some pics. I think I found the right wires but am afraid to mess with them. The easiest place I access famed "violet and red" wires was in the middle column where wires lead to rear door.

Happy installing Byakuya!

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts
Lol, that's a LOT more information than I was expecting. Thanks sir.

I like the "breathing" ones as well, the V6 had those and it was such a nice setting rather than always a single brightness.

The driver's side is what deterred me from installing my set when I got the car; there's almost nowhere to put the silly strips. To cover yours up, you could do something like foam core or styrofoam, or even a small strip of (I know this is ghetto) cardboard - just plasti-dip it black and no one will ever see it.

I'm sure you're aware, but just to make very clear to anyone else who might read this: Underglow lights are strictly illegal in many (most) states. Make sure you check your state and town laws before you get a hefty fine - I know around here that underglow won't last 10 minutes without getting you pulled over.

As for the courtesy lights - couldn't you just splice into their wires directly? They're a 12v source, and if you *only* want the lights coming on when the doors are open, it's the best thing to do.

If you're talking about having the LEDs come on with open doors as-well-as when the car is running, you'd need something like a relay that could handle multiple inputs of power and swap automatically to allow flow from each source separately. SPDT relay if I'm not mistaken, but it's Friday morning and I've been out of the electronics game for a long time :lol:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah. I was bored at work.

The courtesy light thing is a feature built into the kit. There are two separate wire leads that come out of the main control unit. The instructions in the box claim it can be hooked up to "an alternate power source". Super curious

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
3 Participants
soopa76
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing