Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Debating getting an 2005 6s hatchback to play around with it. I’m trying to get some info on possibilities. I know the CPE intake thing will have to be done first. But after that I’m at a loss, power wise. Maybe an exhaust but will that really yield that much power? I doubt it will. Then I noticed some header from Draxxus or w/e Sounds kind of interesting.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
As of now, the most power gain will be from the CP-E intake system and then the headers. There will not be any gains from any aftermarket exhaust sytem for the V6 out there. The headers from Draxxas have issues and are currently not offered. The one to buy is from CP-E again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would I maybe dip into 220whp 230whp? If not anything else to possibly has some gains to get there.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Would I maybe dip into 220whp 230whp? If not anything else to possibly has some gains to get there.
[/b]
No way at all. Most with the CPE intake hit 180-200whp depending on dyno variances. Coupled with the headers, you *might* get 210-215whp in ideal circumstances on the right dyno. This is all assuming manual transmission, autos drop about 10-15whp off those numbers.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
There seems to be several different ways of making power. On this board it seems that Cpe's cai is the most popular way.

But in general I would think Intake/Chip/Headers/Exhaust would put you in around 210whp. We just had a member get 200whp with AEM Intake with exhaust and tuning using the Apexi Safc 2 unit. Tuning seems to be the key for power. You can use Apexi, CPE Maf Customizer, or Unichip for tuning. I guess it all depends on which one your local shop is familiar with.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Guy at work has a new 06 Mazda6 6 speed auto and has a CPE intake with MAF translator and Catback exhaust he was talking smack. So i finally broke in new clutch and this is our results.. Let me just make this clear this is without my nitrous... And this one was from a 20mph roll[/b]
Street-Racing posts are not allowed, let alone videos. You've been around long enough to know better than that, flarearrow. Consider this your warning.

Yes, I like playing devil's advocate.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Street-Racing posts are not allowed, let alone videos. You've been around long enough to know better than that, flarearrow. Consider this your warning.

[/b]
Hey, I'm just making a point not to waste too much money on this car. I just don't want to see people making foolish financial decisions.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
There seems to be several different ways of making power. On this board it seems that Cpe's cai is the most popular way.

But in general I would think Intake/Chip/Headers/Exhaust would put you in around 210whp. We just had a member get 200whp with AEM Intake with exhaust and tuning using the Apexi Safc 2 unit. Tuning seems to be the key for power. You can use Apexi, CPE Maf Customizer, or Unichip for tuning. I guess it all depends on which one your local shop is familiar with.
[/b]
It has been proven by many a dyno that the exhaust does not increase HP, as it is fairly free flowing past the headers, so even if you gain HP from the other mods, the exhaust will not do much other then sound differences. The gain is well within the dyno margin of error.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Despite the AWD, do u guys think that an I/H/E upgrade along with tuning be as powerful as a MS6 or would even more modifications be needed?? because I'd sure as hell would like to get my car as fast as a mazdaspeed.

·
Registered
139 Posts

[/b]
Right! One car racing down a street is ok, two cars racing down a street is forbidden. Wait, how the hell does that logic work again...

Note: I'm not advocating street racing, just pointing out the glaring discrepancy on how these forums deal with street racing vs fly-bys.

Is CPE finally selling their headers again? Knew they had stopped due to lack of O2 sensors for a while.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
It has been proven by many a dyno that the exhaust does not increase HP, as it is fairly free flowing past the headers, so even if you gain HP from the other mods, the exhaust will not do much other then sound differences. The gain is well within the dyno margin of error.
[/b]
exhaust does gain some power just not enough to justify its price. i've seen dynos that show gains of around 5 to 6 horsepower.

Despite the AWD, do u guys think that an I/H/E upgrade along with tuning be as powerful as a MS6 or would even more modifications be needed?? because I'd sure as hell would like to get my car as fast as a mazdaspeed.
[/b]
It would be interesting to see what would happen from a roll between the two cars.

According to forum rules we can't discuss street racing. So make sure to state that it was on the drag strip or track and then it will be okay. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
i would put cpe intake, cpe headers, and injen ses catbacks.... and uh tranny cooler, tranny filter, cpe engine mount to get better accelerations? also drop a little bit of weight like light weight batteris and a cf hood...

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
exhaust does gain some power just not enough to justify its price. i've seen dynos that show gains of around 5 to 6 horsepower.
It would be interesting to see what would happen from a roll between the two cars.

[/b]

Yeah thats exactly what im saying, 5 -6 hp is the dyno margin of error. Run 1 + 5, rund 2 -5, run 3 +1, etc etc.

I guess if you do say, 20 runs without it, and 20 runs with it and average out the numbers and you see a gain, you could make a case for it.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
i would put cpe intake, cpe headers, and injen ses catbacks.... and uh tranny cooler, tranny filter, cpe engine mount to get better accelerations? also drop a little bit of weight like light weight batteris and a cf hood...
[/b]
let me just let you know...."from experience"

6s vs. speed6 is no contest even from a roll

6s mods - Complete CPE (I H, engine mount) Shortshifter, light flywheel, exhaust, cf hood, phantom lsd etc.

speed mods - I E

not even close! unfortunately...

·
Registered
297 Posts
Funny story...I have the entire CP-E set-up (headers, intake, and engine mount)...Anyway, on my way home, a completely stock '97 Honda Accord blew pass me (probably going 50 when it passed me and speeding up); I was probably going 35 mph- just totally surprised me...So, what I did, I tried to blow pass by him...Hear me, I was thinking once I push on the accelerator, it will be easy to catch him...Guess what and to my surprise, my modified 6s with a V6 engine, had a hard time catching up with the dude...He maintained 4 car length for about half a mile before I can really gain ground...Tell me, is it the way I drive?..no way...There might be an issue/problem with my mods? (cuz as you all know, there were issues with all of the CP-E products for the 6s)...Also forgot that both cars were AT- Can that be an issue?...I'm still in awe that even with all the CP-E mods and me flooring it, my 6 still took about half a mile before I really gained ground...Damn, that felt suckie that I can't really gained ground on a 10 yr old stock car...Better hurry up with the turbo and can someone please figure out a way to eliminate that stupid rev limiter...Finally, my advice for all those who want to mod there 6, don't buy the AT; not even with the auto stick is worth it and trust me I've tried...waste of $1000 or so

·
Registered
710 Posts
You gotta buy a car that gives you the advertised HP, TQ on the window sticker. You Fooled me once Mazda but never again.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
The 6s is what it is, and I love mine. Do the mods, but do not expect to keep up with a car that was made to haul ass. The fact is, that while the 6s is competitive in it's market segment, it's really down on torque.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts