Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, for the first time, I experienced the dreaded POWER LOSS!! I filled the car up a few days ago, but I have been driving it very easy in an effort to see how good a mileage figure I could achieve with reasonable driving. As is often the case, I didn't make it far past the 3/4 mark before I had to start romping on it. After a couple such romps, it happened. It was certainly noticeable and definitely profoundly disappointing. So, I headed over to the dealer who hooked it up and informed me that I needed the new download. Unfortunately, although the tech was aware of the reflash, they didn't have the software available yet (supposed to show up yesterday, but didn't).

So, they said they'd call and I'm going on vacation anyway, so I've got time. While driving it home, it persisted. If I went easy on it a little, the system would reset and I'd get most of the way through 2nd gear before the jig was up again. I decided I might have bad gas (91 is as high as is readily available), so I went to purchase an octane booster to get through the tank. Now for the fun part. When I went to put the octane booster in the tank, I found the gas cap ws loose!! I put the booster in, made sure the cap was on tight and started romping away. No more power loss after repeated full throttle operation. I seriously doubt that it was the octane booster as it probably wouldn't have mixed in as quickly as the problem went away.

SO, WAS IT THE GAS CAP? :?:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I found the gas cap. I was a little surprised that the vacuum leak didn't trigger a CEL. It's all a little weird, but that won't keep me from getting re-flashed next week.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I don't know if you shut off the engine but if you search my post on this I was able to test the condition when you shut off the engine and immediately restart. It cures the 'stuck' limp mode immediately.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The engine was shut off several times throughout this ordeal. Each time I restarted it, the power came back, but only for one or two gears worth of fun, then back to limp mode. Only after the 108 Octane Bosster and the Gas Cap did it stay away. All this took place over the course of about 1 1/2-2 hours.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Most octane boosters aren't. They are "octane point boosters". There are 10 points to every octane. So if you buy an octane booster and read the fine print, almost all of them only raise octane bout 4-8 points...which would only bump the octane to around 91.8. Better then normal, but nothing that will turn CA piss gas into 93/94 octane.

To go from 91 octane to 108 octane, you'd need an octane booster that added 170 points.

Whats more likely to happen is that you let the car cool off, and as the time went by, the ambient temp dropped. Lower cooling temps, charge temps, intake temps, and exhaust temps, all decrease the chance of detonation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
crossbow
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing