Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have read though a lot of posts on this forum but I still have a few questions. Sorry if they have been covered 600 times before.
I have the 2017 Mazda 6 GSX automatic. When I purchased the car I wanted to get the Takami model but there were non available and it was going to cost about $16,000 more then the 6 I purchased.
I do like the car but its sluggish when not in sport mode and more power would be nice.
So my questions are:

• Is it worth turbocharging this engine? It looks like there are no kits available so this could cost $5k + I’m guessing. (Not worth it, Supercharger seams the way to go)
  • Would the tune be worth doing even though I don’t have another mods?
  • There seams to be conflicting info on removing the resonator from the airbox, I did this on my gen 1 6 but I am reading that it reduces low end power on the skyactive engine, is this true?
  • Would it be easier to just wait a year or two and see if I can purchase a turbo engine and just replace mine with that? (Looking at engine prices this would likely cost more then a factory turbo gen 3)

I would just upgrade the car but I can’t justify the lump sum just for more power (young family, house improvements ongoing) however, I can slowly improve this car. I’m not looking to pull 300bhp at the wheels I just want more power and response then the stock engine has.

Thanks in advance for helping out!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Might be a trim level in Aus and NewZealand... In Canada we used to (in '17) have GX, GS, and GT. Roughly eqiv to Sport, Touring, and GT in the 'States.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
I’m guessing it’s a nz/aus thing. I’m not sure what the equivalent is. Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask these questions.
I never said it was wrong, i asked if you read down a few threads before posting cause you would have ALL potential questions answered.... i mean literally 3 posts below yours.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so I managed to answer two of my questions. 3 posts below mine at the time of reading this was a thread on superchargers?

Anyway at this stage I am just trying to figure out if the mods to the stock intake are worth it.

·
Super Moderator
18,272 Posts
Ok so I managed to answer two of my questions. 3 posts below mine at the time of reading this was a thread on superchargers?

Anyway at this stage I am just trying to figure out if the mods to the stock intake are worth it.
Nah. Any intake mod is going to net you at best 2-4whp. What you'll get is a nicer sound and your butt will tell you the car is faster when it really isn't.

To answer your other question - A tune can be done with/without mods. Plenty of guys on here got the tune completely stock and love it. I believe @tickerguy is one of them. The tune will get you some nice additional low-end torque without sacrificing much overall MPGs.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
To answer your other question - A tune can be done with/without mods. Plenty of guys on here got the tune completely stock and love it. I believe @tickerguy is one of them. The tune will get you some nice additional low-end torque without sacrificing much overall MPGs.

I want my car stock because I believe that once I start modifying, I might not be able to get rid of the "bug".

There's an improvement in fuel consumption from 23 km/L to 25 km/L.

Take note that I have the diesel. At the moment, OVT officially dropped Mazda and concentrated their resources to Toyota. If you are interested, let me know and I'll look for the email of Rafa.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts