Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So are these 1st gen 3.0l known for not responding to all of its power in low rpms, I test drove one today because I’m looking into buying it, it’s an 03 V6 with 157k miles. The guy let me test drive it and as I’m pulling away, I noticed that taking off, it does not feel torqy at all for having 220 hp but not too sure about how much torque it has. From a stop I tried to press on it a little more but it like stood in the lower rpms then randomly kicked as it got into higher rpms. My 2nd gen has 170 hp and I feel more torque than the V6. Can someone clarify to me that it is normal for them?

·
Registered
941 Posts
Was it an automatic?

These engines don't start making good power until 3K RPM+. If it is a manual transmission it is much easier to get it to go.

The real magic happens from 4K to redline. My car (a 5spd manual) is a dog off the line, but if I lay into it it will spin the tire(s) in 1st and 2nd gears (if I remember to shut off the traction control).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was it an automatic?

These engines don't start making good power until 3K RPM+. If it is a manual transmission it is much easier to get it to go.

The real magic happens from 4K to redline. My car (a 5spd manual) is a dog off the line, but if I lay into it it will spin the tire(s) in 1st and 2nd gears (if I remember to shut off the traction control).

Yeah it is an automatic haha so that is normal then?

·
Registered
941 Posts
Yeah, it's normal. Once you get the engine up in the rev range it will give you some love.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Revisiting this...I've had a Sportwagon for 3 mos now, and although I am not the primary driver, when I get in it, I've noticed that anytime I want to get on it, the car bogs down. From a stop, it behaves like it has a 1.6L for 1 1/2-2 sec. Then it suddenly breaks free like turbo lag. If I nail it when cruising, it is also unresponsive even after the downshift.
Any suggestions for where to look? Injectors? EGR? MAF? throttle body, etc?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts