Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope someone has had this problem and will give me some insight on how to tell mazda to fix the problem.

I have a 2003 mazda 6s MTX with 35,600 miles with the airbox mod. The car drives great except for a power hesitation when accelerating from 2000rpm and up. When I am in 3rd gear and try to accel to pass someone I get a hesitation and then my rpms go from 2000rpm to 2200rpm and then back down to 2000rpm. After that the power is restored and the car seems to respond ok. I have had the car at the same dealership 3 times and they can't reproduce the problem.

I am pulling my hair out trying to fix this problem. I am almost at the point of trading the car in but I love how the mazda handles and drives.

Also, no CEL is thrown when this problem occurs.

Anyhelp would be great....

thanks,
Shano

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
How fast are you going? before you try and pass someone?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
if you can get it to happen...have them ride with you

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be a dick here but...
Are you sure you aren't downshifting to second?
[/b]

I think he said he had a MTX, i hope he would know if he was downshifting :D

I would try to have a tech ride with you if you can reproduce the problem like someone else mentioned. If they try to give you a hard time id try a diffrent dealer.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No downshifting to second.... :)

I was driving for lunch today and the same thing happened. I was on the freeway and doing 45-50mph in 4th gear. Tried to give it gas and it hesitated for a few seconds and then kicked in and started to speed up. The rpms would fluctuate from 2000-2200, after that it would kick in and work.

Would the airbox mod have anything to do with it??

shano

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Last time I checked theres no TQ down that low. Next time downshift before punching it, you'll get a better response. On ATX's the pc will do it for us :)

Fyi: I saw this video about the EVO on topgear. in 5th at 35mph they said it would accelerate slower then a mini(some slow ass british car) as long as you didn't downshift

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^
okay for the record...TOPGEAR IS THE BEST SHOW EVERRRRR

and yeah sick amount of turbo lag in that car...he basically had the car in 4th doing like 5 or 10mph...and some other POS car next to him..those shitty european diseal cars..you know

basically they went the full length of the track like some sick number like a mile and a half or something...and finally when the evo started to catch up and pick up speed....they were outa runway...hahahahahah

TopGear episode 7 off of season 5 ;o) I GOT EM ALL FROM 1989!!!!!

JEREMY CLARKSON IS A GOD AMONG MEN!!!!

oh yeah to answer your question...that is weird....just throw in a double dclutch downshift and off you go..i love doing that...and if anything take it to another dealer dude...let them take a look....

EDIT: 1.7 mile runway @ 30mph vs. a FIAT(french crap)1.6litre WAGON and he never catchs the FIAT!!!! hahahahahah gotta love that show...

·
Registered
788 Posts

I was driving for lunch today and the same thing happened. I was on the freeway and doing 45-50mph in 4th gear. Tried to give it gas and it hesitated for a few seconds and then kicked in and started to speed up. The rpms would fluctuate from 2000-2200, after that it would kick in and work.

Would the airbox mod have anything to do with it??
shano
[/b]
I have the airbox mod and "no" this is not your problem. Sounds to me like a textbook example of what they call "the throttle body problem/issue"... do a forum search for "throttle body"... I would try to get Mazda to just replace it out...I have no such hesitation what so ever and have the air box mod...since you have the 2003 model I am feeling very confident in this...the issue surfaced and was supposed to be fixed...

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Yup, sounds like the TB. The car should not stutter going to 3rd at 45 mph.. it has decent pickup then. Also, you may try cleaning your MAF sensor as it sounds like you might be running either too rich or too lean due to a dirty maf. You can test this by letting accelerating to 4-5K rpm, letting off quickly but not too quickly then pressing accelerate again . If the car bogs down instead of just spring to, there is an issue with the maf sensor.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
he never tried shifting to third thats the thing.. he was going 45 and tried hitting the gas in 4th gear... you need to downshift first... hell at 45mph ur still in 2nd gear power band...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I put the air box back on last night before I read the new posts and it still had problems. I was driving on the freeway doing 70mph in 4th gear last night. Decided to punch the gas and the rpm's would stutter for a few seconds then take off. Even if I downshifted to third and then punched it it stuttered for a few seconds and then decided to wake up and take off....

Just a little bit of history, I just had the car in for a starter replacement since it was squealing when I started the car. While it was there they did some kind of software update to the car. Since the software update I have had the car into the dealer 3 times for the same problem. They always say they can't duplicate the problem.

I am really close to trading the car in for a 2005 Nissan Altima SER that is on my local lot for sale. I always talk myself out of it thinking I will have the same problems with a different car...

Shano

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
he never tried shifting to third thats the thing.. he was going 45 and tried hitting the gas in 4th gear... you need to downshift first... hell at 45mph ur still in 2nd gear power band...
[/b]

even so i know the car doesnt have taht much torque...but still shouldnt hesitate, and then drop down in RPM's...sounds lkike something is wrong....the dealer had replaced my TB i got an 2004 6s MTX...but thats also because i'm an idiot and i think i might have screwed something up in one of my installs....

Altima SE-R yumm.....but seriously dude get one of the tech's to drive with you...or just take it to another dealer...sorry kinda sux your having all these issues man...i'd be :swearin: to...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Take your car to the dealer.... and make sure you take a print out of this TSB.

http://forum.mazda6tech.com/about254.html

DESCRIPTION
Some vehicles may exhibit surging when cruising at a steady speed between 40-50 MPH on smooth, paved roads. While the OBDII EGR system is being monitored, the amount of EGR flow is increased in order to improve the failure detection level. During this time, engine combustion worsens which causes surging to be felt.The PCM calibration has been revised to decrease the amount of EGR flow and improve combustion during the EGR monitoring period.

Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure.

REPAIR PROCEDURE
Verify customer concern.

Using WDS B30.6 or later software, reprogram the PCM to the latest calibration (refer to "Calibration Information" table) by following the "Module Reprogramming" procedure.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
No one mentioned slipping clutch?

Seems obvious to me.

35,000 miles on a stock 6s clutch. Check.
RPMs go from 2000 to 2200 with no power going to the wheels. Check.
RPMs go from 2200 back to 2000 before power is transmitted. Check.
No CEL thrown. Check.

Perfect description of a slipping clutch -- RPMs going up roughly 200 then back down with no increase in speed on a low-RPM/high-load situation. The only slight discrepancy is the fact that it's in 3rd. Most people notice slippage in 5th or 1st before the other gears.

·
Registered
59 Posts

shano
[/b]
To me its the perfect description of TSB....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I just came back from a small road trip with the family and the problems are happening just as described above. The only thing to add is they always seem to disappear after the car warms up for about 30-45 minutes. Example, when I first left this morning I was building some speed on the highway. I was traveling about 65mph in 4th gear. I never touched the clutch, just pushed on the gas to pass someone and the car would hesitate and then take off again. I waited about 30-45 minutes and tried the same thing....the car performed great, just like old times. Once the car is warmed up it performs great.... I don't know what to do, my wife thought I was crazy and said the car was fine before the trip. I made her drive the car one whole day during the trip and it acted up the same way for her. Now she believes me.... :)

I think I am going to give mazda one more try to fix the problem. If they can't fix the problem I am going to have some nice headrest monitors for sale..... :(

shano

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
15 Participants
srender517
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing