Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read recently that the $1500 AUD Magnaflow system add little or no power to the MPS..yet someone else claimed that a 3" catback system will rlease 40 hp at the wheels...what is the collective truth? I was thinking of importing a system from USA...BUT I'm not if there is no significant increase in power

·
Registered
366 Posts
I read recently that the $1500 AUD Magnaflow system add little or no power to the MPS..yet someone else claimed that a 3" catback system will rlease 40 hp at the wheels...what is the collective truth? I was thinking of importing a system from USA...BUT I'm not if there is no significant increase in power
[/b]
I have the magnaflow and realized some seat of the pants gains...

I have to think going from a 1' to 2.5 has some type of increase.. where the cpe has a 3' single pipe. The magnaflow was my choice due to the sound.. Classy, nothing like the pineapple shooters you see on hondas etc.

My next step is the cpe downpipe, it should sound good with the magnaflow... Will I get max gains? most likely not...

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Stock is 2.25" or 2.5", not 1" like a honda.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Stock is 2.25" or 2.5", not 1" like a honda.
[/b]

stock piping all the way to the axle back is 2.5'. from axle back is 2.25'. magnaflow is 2.5 in, so all it really does it add sound being that it has mufflers, its fairly minimal gains. however cp-e is 3.0' from cat back so not only are you gaining .5' to the axle back your then gaining .75' at the axle back, also cp-e only routes out one side and does not use mufflers. all in all cp-e enlarges piping to 3' and loses 2 mufflers. thats why it picks up the power.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
FYI, if anybody is interested:

2.25" pipe has a cross sectional area of 4 sq inches (PI x R x R = 3.1412 x 1.125 x 1.125).
2.5" pipe has a cross sectional area of 4.9 sq inches (PI x R x R = 3.1412 x 1.25 x 1.25).
3" pipe has a cross sectional area of 7 sq inches (3.1412 x 1.5 x 1.5).

Therefore 3" pipe theoretically flows 44% more than a 2.5" pipe, and 75% more than 2.25" pipe. 2.5" pipe flows 23% more than 2.25" pipe.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
i've raced another speed6 with exhaust/cai, and honestly our 1/4 mile times were less than 1/2.second off.

·
Registered
77 Posts
i've raced another speed6 with exhaust/cai, and honestly our 1/4 mile times were less than 1/2.second off.
[/b]
Now to me less than 1/2 a second off would be like comparinga 13.9 to a 13.5, if he was in a sport also . but if he was in a GT and those were the comparison #'s they are still pretty impressive IMO. Now was the the exhaust full turboback,catback, or downpipe?Anyone who has gone down the road of modding knows that almost a 1/2 second gain from 2 bolt on items is a good start.

·
Registered
578 Posts
+1.

I will definitely shell out some bucks for a bolt on that will shave 3-5 tenths off my quarter time.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Now to me less than 1/2 a second off would be like comparinga 13.9 to a 13.5, if he was in a sport also . but if he was in a GT and those were the comparison #'s they are still pretty impressive IMO. Now was the the exhaust full turboback,catback, or downpipe?Anyone who has gone down the road of modding knows that almost a 1/2 second gain from 2 bolt on items is a good start.
[/b]
read carefully, 1/2-a-point-second off.

using your example, 13.9 to 13.85

·
Registered
851 Posts
and 1/4mile times are dependent on driver also not just the car alone.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
true, and he is a better driver than i with much more experience at the track.
curb weight probably similar, even though he has a GT, i had a lot of junk in my car.
only way to tell true performance gains is on a dyno, but my observation at the track tells me intake/catback do not make for considerable gains that are visible in 1/4 mile runs.

·
Registered
70 Posts
[/b]

What counts is your TRAP speeds...that'll show which car was making more power ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts