Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody here tried loading up by powerbreaking for a launch...we ATX guys are "launching impaired" and are always looking for a quicker way off the line...I know about the neutral drop...and to NEVER...EVER...EVER do that....power breaking is not much better, but better than a drop...I think I heard that in another thread...if anyone has a good, and relatively better way to launch, mention that too...

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
it's pretty much the only way to power launch the car. the stall on the car tranny is at 2300 i believe, so no point in revving past that point. i've found at times on the strip and just timing it enough that you mash the pedal just before launch so it's still moving up rather than holding it works well.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it's pretty much the only way to power launch the car. the stall on the car tranny is at 2300 i believe, so no point in revving past that point. i've found at times on the strip and just timing it enough that you mash the pedal just before launch so it's still moving up rather than holding it works well.
[/b]
Doesn't powerbreaking also burn the living crap out of your breaks?...and even the tranny?
so...in drive...going to the strip...before the tree goes green...let it roll (like any normal automatic does when you don't apply the break in drive)...and at go...you just slam it and that'll help accelerate faster....(would you recommend turning off the TCS?)...(I guess for anything higher, I'd need a higher performance torque converter...and those are about 350-450 for a good one from Lentech, not to mention the probably 1000+ price tag to install it, its very expensive right?....can I still use the "M" mode if I use any of the Lentech stuff: i.e.-valve bodies, new anything?)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would recommend a tranny cooler to anyone thinking about power braking.
[/b]
taken care of...gonna be installed real soon...anything else?...will this eat through my break pads in like 5 minutes?....

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
doesn't eat your pads at all really. you bite down when you are stopped, so it's like sitting on the brakes on a steep hill (and some extra weight i guess).

good for the tranny....not a chance. is it gonna kill it if you hit the strip several times a year? only if you are really unlucky.

when i've been to the strip (which is quite boring to me when you are running nearly 17seconds as i do) i 2 foot it obviously. left foot on the brakes, rt foot pushes on the accelerator as the lights start. the "lag" leads to nothing happening until the second light comes on, and by the time the green light is about to turn i'm reving just past 2k and i let off the brake with my left.

in most cases i've found rolling the pedal is better than foot to the floor, but that might just be me. i've done about 20 times down the strip in the atx, enough to realize it bores me. actually faster in auto mode than manual mode which makes it an even more boring 17 seconds.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
doesn't eat your pads at all really. you bite down when you are stopped, so it's like sitting on the brakes on a steep hill (and some extra weight i guess).

good for the tranny....not a chance. is it gonna kill it if you hit the strip several times a year? only if you are really unlucky.

when i've been to the strip (which is quite boring to me when you are running nearly 17seconds as i do) i 2 foot it obviously. left foot on the brakes, rt foot pushes on the accelerator as the lights start. the "lag" leads to nothing happening until the second light comes on, and by the time the green light is about to turn i'm reving just past 2k and i let off the brake with my left.

in most cases i've found rolling the pedal is better than foot to the floor, but that might just be me. i've done about 20 times down the strip in the atx, enough to realize it bores me. actually faster in auto mode than manual mode which makes it an even more boring 17 seconds.
[/b]
thankyou mister "there's no hope"... :sarc: ....bad for the tranny...yeah...but so is dropping the clutch in a manual....riiiiight?...so wait, when you power break...your wheels aren't....doing anything? (excuse the ignorance)...and rolling the accelerator=gradually pushing right?...and at green, you just let off the break, and it'll launch?...(with the turbo, doing this, you only ran 17's!!???)....how much tranny wear how fast are we tallking?....hey, my 6 feels faster in M than D personally....it shifts too soon on my car....(though it could be the optimistic "but dyno" letting me on again)...hey, a drift spec 350Z with the Nissan Titan 5.6 VQ56 V8 engine ran a 17+sec 1320 run....more's the pity... :drive:

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
i've never had the turbo on the straight, just the curves. given what is out there, i'd guess high 12's in it's current form. as soon as atom44wat gets his turbo on we agreed to head to the local strip for some #'s though.

nothing is moving but the engine when you powerbrake a fwd car. in rwd cars you are spinning the rears with the brakes applied.....no bueno for brakes. fwd, no effect on brakes at all.

whne you get to the strip, so runs in both manual and auto, typically you'll find auto to be just a hair quick, maybe even. flooring my pedal does less than going to 1/2 then gradually going all the way down for some reason....might just be me

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i've never had the turbo on the straight, just the curves. given what is out there, i'd guess high 12's in it's current form. as soon as atom44wat gets his turbo on we agreed to head to the local strip for some #'s though.

nothing is moving but the engine when you powerbrake a fwd car. in rwd cars you are spinning the rears with the brakes applied.....no bueno for brakes. fwd, no effect on brakes at all.

whne you get to the strip, so runs in both manual and auto, typically you'll find auto to be just a hair quick, maybe even. flooring my pedal does less than going to 1/2 then gradually going all the way down for some reason....might just be me
[/b]
I'll try it maybe once or twice at a run to see if it makes me any faster...(but not get addicted for the sake of my tranny!)...will the cooler enhance my chances of tranny survival a little?...(did you spin your tires when you did this, or was it a clean launch...)...what's typically the first thing to go when something breaks from doing this...torque converter...yada yada yada?...12's!...thats more like it!!!!...so high 16 runs were with what (please, oh please say stock)....but this combined with what I'm going to do...should make for a hell of a better run than the time I'm running now...(just for acceleration that is)

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
i ran 16.8 with intake, header/midpipe, plugs, wires, BS removed and sticky tires. with the BS removed i could chirp the tires if i was lucky on a powerbrake. not really enough to do it on a sticky surfice though.

your TC won't really go out, the bands for the gears will just start to go, so that leads to some slipping. unless you are doing this daily you really shouldn't have any issue. tranny cooler can only make things better though.

...and the 16.8 was at sea level (well like 150' or so) after then putting on the exhaust, and doing the VTCS removal i ran a 17.1 in Vegas which is just over 2k' i believe. one of the Team Allstars Scion lunchboxes that was full of audio was only 2 sec behind us....that made me feel great!! but i feel better when i get on the road course and pass all those cars that laughed at me on the strip.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
found a powerbraking video from a bit ago. you can hear the engine rev for a sec or two before the tires go (i let off the brake).

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
....bad for the tranny...yeah...but so is dropping the clutch in a manual....riiiiight?...

[/b]
Not quite, in a manual, thats what the clutch is there for. Granted its not "good" to drop the clutch as it causes needless wheel spin and bouncing around everywhere and a lot more pressure and force on the plate itself then normal, its not going to kill your tranny per say unless you slip the clutch. It will wear out the clutch faster then normal. Usually once the clutch is released, its locked and the wheels do all the slipping (or atleast they should).

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
found a powerbraking video from a bit ago. you can hear the engine rev for a sec or two before the tires go (i let off the brake).

[/b]
Hey...now THAT looks like fun!....(always in moderation! :D )....You are awesome for taking the time to post that, thanks a lot!....so what did you already have on the car when you shot this...cause I'm gonna have a problem with traction if I expect the same...if I don't hook up, it won't help in races...but still!!!...I got kinda excited when I saw an ATX! doing that :drive: ...your car is amazing man...I saw the picture of you baby stock...damn...what's still stock on it...the air freshener?...

i ran 16.8 with intake, header/midpipe, plugs, wires, BS removed and sticky tires. with the BS removed i could chirp the tires if i was lucky on a powerbrake. not really enough to do it on a sticky surfice though.

your TC won't really go out, the bands for the gears will just start to go, so that leads to some slipping. unless you are doing this daily you really shouldn't have any issue. tranny cooler can only make things better though.
...and the 16.8 was at sea level (well like 150' or so) after then putting on the exhaust, and doing the VTCS removal i ran a 17.1 in Vegas which is just over 2k' i believe. one of the Team Allstars Scion lunchboxes that was full of audio was only 2 sec behind us....that made me feel great!! but i feel better when i get on the road course and pass all those cars that laughed at me on the strip.
[/b]
I got what TC meant (torque converter)...but whats BS (not bull shit right?...or am I stupid) :slap:

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Has anybody here tried loading up by powerbreaking for a launch...we ATX guys are "launching impaired" and are always looking for a quicker way off the line...I know about the neutral drop...and to NEVER...EVER...EVER do that....power breaking is not much better, but better than a drop...I think I heard that in another thread...if anyone has a good, and relatively better way to launch, mention that too...
[/b]
what do you want to Break?

Actually that is what this guy just did here Power Break

What you want to do is PowerBrake ;)

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
that's with the turbo....good luck trying to do that in a normal atx! you won't have traction issues on the strip....not way.

BS = balance shaft

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
i've wanted to try and do a burnout in my 6s but i'm scared lol. i sure wasn't last week with my fiance's dad's 06' GT stang lol. her brothers were like "my dad can't do a burnout no way you can" about 60ft of burnout later they thought differently.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
that's with the turbo....good luck trying to do that in a normal atx! you won't have traction issues on the strip....not way.
BS = balance shaft
[/b]
oh....VTCS removal?...(I haven't memorized all the acronyms just yet....)....awww...no tire smoking power with just the headers, down pipe and intake mods?...well...then my tire's will last longer....siiiiiick....will I have traction problems if (by some stroke of temporary insanity...) I was to do this in a normal street?...like what you did in the vid?

what do you want to Break?

Actually that is what this guy just did here Power Break

What you want to do is PowerBrake ;)
[/b]
actually...for the sake of saving face...I'll stick to power "breaking"...(Webster's definiton: synonym for pwnage...in a sentence "I powerbreaked you in the face!".... :chairshot: ) :hoho:...like launchingX12 in a row...thats power"breaking" all right...(wafer thin clutch)

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
there are no certaintees with anything that the car was not designed for. i wouldn't expect issues, but don't be suprised if something happens.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
there are no certaintees with anything that the car was not designed for. i wouldn't expect issues, but don't be suprised if something happens.
[/b]
yeah...but you said that I shouldn't have much to worry about if I don't do it a WHOLE LOT....which I don't have any need to do so...at what R.P.M. did you launch your ATX...

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
the TC limits it to like 2300 or so, so there's no point revving past that point. you have to play with it to see what works best.

as far as braking things, if you are that worried about it i'd stay away from it. i don't want to tell someone that something is ok, when it's always possible for 1 launch to break a tranny on a stock engine....you never know.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts