Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has any personal experience with any local powdercoating companies. I'm looking to powdercoat the faces of some volk gt-c's. Thanks

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Monkeyboy....?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Titanium in pearl city industrial...my bf got his SSR Type-C's powdercoated....they do a pretty good job....

He paid a little over $800...BUT that was including the powdercoating, fixing the curbrash and clear coating.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Let us know what you find out. I was going to have Mikala Powdercoat my stockers since they are right next door to our shop but i chickened out.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've heard of hi-tech coatings, mekala, and titanium so far. Thanks Nat for giving me some input. Anyone else have any experience getting things powdercoated?

While on the subject, anyone have any suggestions of colors I should get done? The barrels are polished and it's just the faces that will be powdercoated (2-piece wheels). 3 are gunmetal and 2 are silver right now. To give you an idea of what they look like on my car.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Bronze!

·
Registered
944 Posts
oh never fear Im here......dealt w/ 2 places out here. Sunset Refinishers in pearl city did my rims on the speed (think everyone has seen those) and I think they did a bang-up job. There was some curb rash on all the rims and you can hardly see any of it any more. Rims were done in about 24hrs and cost right @ $400 for everything. I know they have a box full of colored plates so the choices are awesome.
The other powdercoating place I've dealt with is Hi-Tech in Kapolei. Good guys, great turn-around (most everything we had done only took 2-3 days depending on how busy they are) only reason I didnt have them do my rims....is well a hellva long drive and Sunset was on the way to/from work so drop off and pick up was hella easy.

I like the bronze idea, but was thinking that a black (flat or semi-gloss) with a bronze hue to it, kinda hard to explain. Best was I can think of it is and set of black rims with lots of brake dust on it (hoping this makes sense) but gives a bronze hue to the black rim and I think would look pretty sweet.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well I'm in and out of Pearl City and Kapolei (gf in one and job at the other) so location doesn't matter too much. I guess I'll look at some swatches to see what kind of colors. Bronze... hmm... I'll see if I can get some photoshops done.

Colors in no particular order. Just some quick photoshops random colors.

·
Registered
38 Posts
hey! those look like the first set of rims i was going to pick up...good thing i didnt! lol...trying to find rims that i wont see on another 6 lol...im sure there are other 6's with the rims i have but, as long as i dont see it, im satisfied LOL...

whats the condition of the rims? if they don't need much fixing, pricing at titanium should be less than what we paid there...the only thing is, if you're not going to powdercoat the lip, its gonna cost a little bit more.

turnover time was about a week or so depending on what you want to do and how busy they are... if its close to the time of a car show, they are busier....

IMO, i think black or extreme chrome w/ clear would look nice....

this is what the extreme chrome w/ clear kind of look like...might be a little hard to tell in these pics but if you want, i can email you close up pictures....i believe i still have some on my comptuer...*The third picture looks a little yellow because of the lighting at the car show, but they got majority of the curb rash off*

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey! those look like the first set of rims i was going to pick up...good thing i didnt! lol...trying to find rims that i wont see on another 6 lol...im sure there are other 6's with the rims i have but, as long as i dont see it, im satisfied LOL...

whats the condition of the rims? if they don't need much fixing, pricing at titanium should be less than what we paid there...the only thing is, if you're not going to powdercoat the lip, its gonna cost a little bit more.

turnover time was about a week or so depending on what you want to do and how busy they are... if its close to the time of a car show, they are busier....

IMO, i think black or extreme chrome w/ clear would look nice....

this is what the extreme chrome w/ clear kind of look like...might be a little hard to tell in these pics but if you want, i can email you close up pictures....i believe i still have some on my comptuer...*The third picture looks a little yellow because of the lighting at the car show, but they got majority of the curb rash off*
Two of the wheels are brand freaking new never been mounted. The rest only have very minor curbs. It's a two-piece wheel so the faces come off so I would imagine it to be easy to PC the faces only and not the lips? Call me crazy, but I kind of like toying with the idea of a metallic or metal flake pink... Here's a pic of what the wheels look like right now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts