Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, new here to the forums and hoping to get some assistance. I'll start by saying I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty, and I feel like with the right tools and guides on the internet, nothing is impossible. I've had project vehicles in the past, but since I bought my Jeep Wrangler (brand new) back in 2012, I've been bored. Looking to get into another project vehicle.

Here's what I found:

2007 Mazdaspeed 6
About 150k miles
Corksport lowering springs
Short ram intake
The guy is asking $2500

Issues the current owner told me about:
CEL due to dirty EGR valve
He had the brakes done when the lowering springs were put on, and "the shop didn't do a great job". After that, the front right brake started to rub, and he parked it (been parked for 6 weeks).
Needs new headlights. He said the prior owner put on aftermarket headlights, but they don't work properly. Highbeams work, but regular do not.
Needs new tires
Minor cosmetic issues (don't bother me one bit)

I'm going to look at the vehicle this evening. He said he's never had any issues with the engine. Doesn't leak any fluids, no startup issues, etc.

Anything in particular I should be looking for, as far as major issues go? As I said, I'm looking for a project vehicle, something I can drive and fix small things as I go along. What I'm not looking for is something that has to have an engine rebuild right after purchase. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

·
Rally Racer
2,178 Posts
Hey everyone, new here to the forums and hoping to get some assistance. I'll start by saying I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty, and I feel like with the right tools and guides on the internet, nothing is impossible. I've had project vehicles in the past, but since I bought my Jeep Wrangler (brand new) back in 2012, I've been bored. Looking to get into another project vehicle.

Here's what I found:

2007 Mazdaspeed 6
About 150k miles
Corksport lowering springs
Short ram intake
The guy is asking $2500

I'm going to look at the vehicle this evening. He said he's never had any issues with the engine. Doesn't leak any fluids, no startup issues, etc.

Anything in particular I should be looking for, as far as major issues go? As I said, I'm looking for a project vehicle, something I can drive and fix small things as I go along. What I'm not looking for is something that has to have an engine rebuild right after purchase. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!
Welcome to the forum.
Reading your description, it sounds like this car was run on a budget. For some cars (corolla, civic, focus) that may be okay but with the technical nature of the MS6 (the fact that it all had to be just right to extract the kind of power it did for the time) means that when bits fade it puts the burden on the greater system.
With a forced induction it would seem to me that 150,000mi is getting "a bit long in the tooth", and I think the price is reflective of that.

If you have a code reader, take it. If not, buy one. If there are other codes you want to know what they are. If it has been recently cleared (miles since reset) I would walk away. "What I'm not looking for is something that has to have an engine rebuild right after purchase."

Brakes that rub because "the shop didn't do a great job" sounds dubious to me. Front brakes are about as easy a job as they come, (best case is stuck caliper, worst is accident damage)

The head light could be as simple as a wiring difference but the OEM headlights have levelers and do not come cheap.
I personally would rather deal with a motor rebuild than have to trace down faulty/melted wiring as a result of an electrical short but that's just me.

There is no substitute for knowledge (different than hearsay). A famous former US president once said "trust but verify" and I feel this always applies when buying anything, especially from an independent seller.

If you have a running vehicle and are set on wanting a MS6 then spend the North American winter to do research. THere are dedicated forums for the Mazdaspeeds that are a load of help, this one included.

The list of stuff I would want to know include:
How much (not if) oil it uses.
Has it been in an accident, (check tire wear, body panel fitment lines, control arms and CV shafts for variation and VIN numbers if panels are tagged)
What are the engine codes and know the possible implications of each.
What is the cylinder compression and leak down.

Cheers and good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciate the response! The main reason I'm looking at this one, is due to the price. Looking at other MS6's with similar mileage, they're around $5k or so (in my area). I figure, if I can get this one for $2k, put another $1k into it (including tires) and have a decent car, I'll be happy. I do have another vehicle, so this one will not be a daily driver. I'm not expecting everything to be perfect on it, and am assuming I'll have to put some money into it.

Wiring issues are an absolute nightmare. The headlight issue scares me a bit, but I'll check over everything when I go look at it.

The guy who owns it, said he's had it for about two years, so I'll have to ask him about how much oil it burns. The ad says he purchased it as a project, but doesn't have the time.

There aren't many components to the braking system, so that issue doesn't really scare me.

I'll definitely check the panel gaps and fitment, to see about any accidents.

Is there any surefire way to check the AWD system? I asked about maintenance records, he said he's changed the oil, always used synthetic, but doen't have any other records. Also said he's had no issues, but tended to be gentile. I also asked if the clutch has been replaced, but he wasn't aware of that either.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Buying a cheap(er) car and expecting to "put a little bit to have a nicer car" vs buying the nicer car that has no issues never works out. Especially in cases where you (obviously) know nothing about the car or how to fix the stuff yourself. This is an experienced observation, not an insult and if you take it as one, pffft good luck lol.

Even with buying a well documented and good running car, you can simply blow the motor the day after pickup as one member recently found out. Whether or not the seller lied or simply didnt know, the motor should never blow under normal driving circumstances.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
If it runs well outside of that bs & is not rusty, try for $1500.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts