Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!! Finally test drove the new mazda6, but I could clearly tell that it was pulling power due to the breaking in and dynamic engine sensors that take time to adjust to octane and whatnot. Anyone have the turbo past the break in notice a significant difference in power? Thank you!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm at 1600 miles on 87 octane. I "feel" like it pulls better now than when I got it but that's far from scientific. Also, my driving is very random so I can't say much on MPG through break-in.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm not sure how it is on the new cars, but on my Speed 6 you really have to turn off the stability control for the car to pull at full power. Also, it falls flat on its face if you run 87 octane on it, as the car has to retard the timing so much. I really don't get why some of the guys pay extra for a car with a turbo and then put regular gas in it and cut the power so much, I would have just saved the cash and bought the regular 4 cylinder version.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm not sure how it is on the new cars, but on my Speed 6 you really have to turn off the stability control for the car to pull at full power. Also, it falls flat on its face if you run 87 octane on it, as the car has to retard the timing so much. I really don't get why some of the guys pay extra for a car with a turbo and then put regular gas in it and cut the power so much, I would have just saved the cash and bought the regular 4 cylinder version.
Because the new cars are nothing like the Speed 6.

1. The Speed 6 was not setup to ever run on 87. It's not tuned for it and will not adjust for it overall. All it will do is do it's best to retard timing when it detects knock and a flat reduction in timing will lose you power all over the place and make the car unhappy.

2. The new 2.5T is setup to run on any octane of gas and is designed to adjust for it in a proactive way as it realizes you have changed fuels. It's also setup in a way that, according to Mazda, there is no difference in the performance of the car below 4k RPM's between Regular and Premium. The car is also rated for the same torque on Regular or Premium but does lose 23HP on the top end for running Regular.

3. Even on Regular, you're talking the difference between, IIRC, 187HP/185TQ on the 2.5 and 223HP/310TQ on the 2.5T. That is a big difference especially in torque. Combine that with Premium costing an extra $.60 per gallon and, well, if you aren't romping it a lot, it's just not worth it and really, I didn't buy the car to be a race car and tap redline all the time but I also had a 2016 6 and felt the regular 2.5 was a bit too anemic.

In the end it's all personal preference but really, the Speed 6 is a whole different beast tuned for performance but running on older tech and programming that wasn't as flexible with octane.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts