Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've complained since I installed them, and now I'm going to say it outright- my Tokico HP shocks are pure SHIT.

I have never felt they were up to the weight of the V6 up front, nor the wagon weight in the rear. Last fall and this spring (run Blizzaks in winter) they felt worse, and taking a close look I've got scalloping developing. Not a thing feels loose in the suspension; it's just these shit shocks.

You know, I never should have installed them. The box still said 'Made in Japan', but the shocks all have 'CHINA' stamped on them. I had a set of HP's on my Integra for 13 years and LOVED them. After this experience I will never try Tokico anything ever again.

KYB GR2 from RockAuto.com are on their way.

·
Registered
859 Posts
heh maybe the printed box was made in Japan ... but the actual product was made in China :D

I think the KYBs are the ones that are used for stock?

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the KYBs are the ones that are used for stock?

Yep. The irony is that I said from the beginning that the Tokicos were worse than the OEM shocks I took off..... Should have returned them early on and tried to get my money back.

I think the Tokicos would be fine on a 4cyl sedan- just not a V6 wagon.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
KYB GR2s are on the front and they car feels completely different. It simply feels like it has the proper legs under it. I complained since Day 1 that the Tokicos didn't feel up to the weight and tonight cements that belief.

Tomorrow night I'll get the rears on.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Yeah. I bought the Tok's when they first came out. Blew the left front right away and the right front a couple of months later (probably due to the left one). They were exchanged under their "lifetime" warranty, but that only covers the part and it took almost 8 weeks to get the replacements! That meant paying someone to reinstall my stock front springs and struts and then paying them to switch them back. Now, just 28000 miles later, the rears are blown and the fronts are unreasonably soft again. My problem is in finding a good macth for my full Racing Beat setup. No one...and I mean NO ONE says that their struts/shocks are stiff enough for my setup!!! I've contacted Bilstein, Koni and KYB. All said no go. So what a guy to do? I'm thinking about swapping springs back to something softer like the Tanabe NF's, or similar.

In the end, though, everyone should avaoid the Tokico Blues!!!

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Racing Beat should be one of the easier springs to work with- they have the least amount of drop and one of the lowest spring rates. I'm running MazdaSpeed OTC springs and I'll be surprised if I have problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks!

Thank you for saving me from making the same mistake.

I went with the Koni Sport (yellows), Racing Beat suspension and Corksport Performance strut tower braces. We'll see how it goes when it's all put together.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I love my Bilsteins, and your issues with the Tokis are one of the reasons I ponied up for them. Sucks when a company trades on it's good name to make a buck.

·
Vendor
757 Posts
I think what Tokico did was use the chinese market Mazda 6 production for the shocks. With Mazda building the 6 in china they probably are probably the OEM supplier and decided to use what they had already being built.

-Derrick

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As-of last night, KYBs are history and Bilsteins are on. Fronts have been on since Tuesday, rears since last night. Change is rather dramatic. Ride is much improved. Handling is much improved. Quick run around a group of clover leaf ramps last night shows the front plants much more firmly now, and steering response is much quicker. Will have to get use to change in extended cornering such as ramps. The weaker KYBs were great on things such as ramps because the car would just transition and hold firm all the way up the ramp. The Bilsteins are not setting as hard, and steering is much more direct and quicker than before, so will need to adjust. But very happy so far.

Also feels more like I'm going over bumps vs. running into them.

·
banana boat.
6,987 Posts
so the KYBs didn't work out well either?

the tokico's on my brother's mustang and wife's G35 are great. We used them on her S13 when she was drifting that thing too.

Surprised you weren't happy with them to be honest. Bilsteins however are an entirely different price point and level.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
As-of last night, KYBs are history and Bilsteins are on. Fronts have been on since Tuesday, rears since last night. Change is rather dramatic. Ride is much improved. Handling is much improved........
So the blue Tok-HP's (low pressure twin-tube, advertized as being good for stiffer springs) were krap from the start, esp the fronts that went bad early and were replaced with KYB-GR2's, which were still working when the Bilstein HD's (B6, high pressure mono tube) shocks went in.

I'm surprised you pioneered the Mazdaspeed Springs and Sways (and didn't just throw on a mega rear bar from RB, as many have), and you went with ~cheap shocks with a fickel reliability history. On shocks, you get what you pay for, and you got great shocks, not ohlins, but great!

What was the history on your rear shocks?

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
so the KYBs didn't work out well either?
the tokico's on my brother's mustang and wife's G35 are great. We used them on her S13 when she was drifting that thing too.

Surprised you weren't happy with them to be honest. Bilsteins however are an entirely different price point and level.
The KYBs were great the first 2 years or so, but it’s just become more and more evident this summer they were getting weak. Expansion joints were hitting a bit hard…. ‘Wavy’ section of interstate by our office has started to make car a bit ‘wavy’ as well. And I didn’t realize they were the cause, but some light-throttle spinning/chirping appears to have been caused by them. The front feels MUCH more solidly planet when accelerating from a dead stop & turning anything near 90 degrees. And it turns much sharper at times like mid-way on freeway ramps. There is an on-ramp by my brothers I’ve been able to hit at 45 and come out just under 60. I’ll be curious to see how it feels this weekend…..

Even had to make bigger lead-in boards for my ramps this spring because they had weakened enough that the front bumper cover started hitting my ramps as I’d pull-on.

Brother has them on daughters Avalon college car, and they’re perfect. But, reading KYBs own descriptions, they GR-2 are not to be considered a sport or performance shock. Just says they ‘restore’ ride and handling. They are the bottom rung of their shocks.

So the blue Tok-HP's (low pressure twin-tube, advertized as being good for stiffer springs) were krap from the start, esp the fronts that went bad early and were replaced with KYB-GR2's, which were still working when the Bilstein HD's (B6, high pressure mono tube) shocks went in.
I'm surprised you pioneered the Mazdaspeed Springs and Sways (and didn't just throw on a mega rear bar from RB, as many have), and you went with ~cheap shocks with a fickel reliability history. On shocks, you get what you pay for, and you got great shocks, not ohlins, but great!

What was the history on your rear shocks?

The Tokicos seem overwhelmed from the start. Every joint was like hitting a 2” lip. Every bump came straight into the cabin. In the winter, with temps anything near or below 20/25, it was like I was riding on concrete block. A couple of times when it got below zero…. Wow…..

They never performed anything like the ones I had on my ’92 Integra. Then again, those were made in Japan, the ones on my 6 were made in China.

KYB GR-2s have been called/known as/reported as the OEM Speed6 shock. Hardly a shock that I was worried about coming-up short. Yes, I have a V6 up front and wagon-weight in the rear, but the weight difference is not that great. And they’ve hardly had a ‘fickel’ reliability rating. In fact, it’s quite the opposite; you can find many, many people posting about how happy they have been. People like flipper and family members. It is an extremely popular shock.

Rears I’ve always swapped-out same time as fronts. I don’t mix-n-match things.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
....The Tokicos seem overwhelmed from the start. Every joint was like hitting a 2” lip. Every bump came straight into the cabin. In the winter, with temps anything near or below 20/25, it was like I was riding on concrete block. A couple of times when it got below zero…. Wow…..

KYB GR-2s have been called/known as/reported as the OEM Speed6 shock. Hardly a shock that I was worried about coming-up short. Yes, I have a V6 up front and wagon-weight in the rear, but the weight difference is not that great. And they’ve hardly had a ‘fickel’ reliability rating. In fact, it’s quite the opposite; you can find many, many people posting about how happy they have been. People like flipper and family members. It is an extremely popular shock.
Sorry if I confused you, I was refering to the Tok's ( 1st shock change) as having a fickel reliability rating. I think you agreed.

·
banana boat.
6,987 Posts
Just saying, I have put tokico's on at least 3 6's with no complaints. They are a decent cheap strut. as with anything if you want "better" you are going to have to pay.

KYB does make the factory struts for our cars, but they are not gas shocks like the aftermarket options IIRC.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Shock and front Strut Options, off the shelf

I found this nice summary of available shocks for the Mazda6:

http://www.shox.com/appguide/shoxshop/productsdisplay.php

$721 __ Koni FSD for stock springs
$574 __ Koni Sports (yellow, adj'l, mod'd oem struts, oem & drop springs)
$000 __ Bilstein B8 (yellow, big dia shorter rod, designed for drop springs)
$463 __ Bilstein HD (yellow & Blue) oem or 1" drop springs
$279 __ Tok HD (TT, blue, rated for oem or drop springs, NG for Mazda6)
$229 __ KYB GR2 (TT, grey, oem rated)

Tok's: http://www.tokicoperformanceshocks.com/c-5-hp-series.aspx
GR2's: KYB Americas Corporation Shocks & Struts | Products | GR-2©
Bil B8: http://www.bilstein.de/en-uk/products/high-performance-shock-absorbers/bilstein-b8.html

B8's not marketed in USA

TT means the lesser twin-tube design, vs the more expensive mono-tube.

For oem replacement, GR-2's or perhaps Monroe for a softer ride.

For best performance, Bilstein HD's (B6) for just bolt 'em in. For those
that know what they are doing, the Koni Sports (adj'ble) are great.

·
Registered
443 Posts
If you don't mind a stiff ride and a little elbow grease, Koni Yellows are the way to go. I have replaced my front 2 under lifetime warranty, only after putting about 150K miles on them. They were leaking. The rears have about 180K on them. Car feels planted and very predictable in turns even after all these miles.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts