Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing Porterfiled R4S pads on my 6s, and they do not have various other parts thet go with the oem pads. Like the wire v shaped "springs/clips", and the thin metal plates that go on backs of the oem pads. Do I need these parts? Or do I just put the aftermarket pads in?

·
Registered
606 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These pads provide no means to reuse the oem parts from the other pads. There are no little holes for the spring/clips, and no little dimples on the backs of the pads to reuse the thin back lates. personally, I don't see what good they are. There are no such, and never has been, these type of parts on the Bimmer. Just simply throw the pads in and go! Both cars use single piston floating calipers. Yea, I know it sounds like I have already made my choice. I just wanted to know if anyone has put pads in without using these parts. Thanks for the reply guys!!

I just did 'em all with Hawk, and they came with the metal plates already installed. You'll need to reuse the wire spring things though.
[/b]

·
Registered
152 Posts
Those springs keep your pads in place. if you don't use them they will not stay and tend to float around causing damage. this is the way i see it anyways. on an older vehicle my friend had we didn't use these springs and they tended to make a lot of noise as well. as far as the plates just use anti-squeal on the back of each pad where it touches the caliper.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, they're in. The fronts are without the v shaped spring/clip and the thin metal shims for the back of the pads. The rears had all the castings to reuse the oem pad parts. So I used them. All seems to be well so far. Oh yea, I changed the front rotors too. They were warped. Sure stops better now!! Now when's the next track day??? :D

Those springs keep your pads in place. if you don't use them they will not stay and tend to float around causing damage. this is the way i see it anyways. on an older vehicle my friend had we didn't use these springs and they tended to make a lot of noise as well. as far as the plates just use anti-squeal on the back of each pad where it touches the caliper.
[/quote]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Pierce,

I'd just reuse the items. You would reuse those if you had gone with the OEM's.

But... check out the links with pix!

http://www.mazda6tech.com/index.php?option...1&Itemid=49
http://www.mazda6tech.com/index.php?option...0&Itemid=49

Alex[/b]
RE: 2004 Mazda6 Sportwagon w/ V6

Argento, thanks for these great links. A friend asked me to look at her brakes because they were squealing. I never worked on a Mazda before. The right front had two V springs, left front had no V springs and both rear wheels had one V spring. Your links says that the rear wheels should only have one V spring so it looks like the only missing hardware would be the two V springs on the left front.

Can you tell me why the rear brakes only have one V spring?

·
Registered
606 Posts
RE: 2004 Mazda6 Sportwagon w/ V6

Argento, thanks for these great links. A friend asked me to look at her brakes because they were squealing. I never worked on a Mazda before. The right front had two V springs, left front had no V springs and both rear wheels had one V spring. Your links says that the rear wheels should only have one V spring so it looks like the only missing hardware would be the two V springs on the left front.

Can you tell me why the rear brakes only have one V spring?[/b]
It appears that the brake on each front and rear wheel is supposed to have two springs on it (at least on the Euro models):

[attachment=29851:FrontBrake__Small_.jpg]
[attachment=29852:RearBrake__Small_.jpg]

In the case of your friend's car, you could move one spring over to the side that is missing a spring. Then all wheels would have one spring.

Each front and rear brake could take two springs; the photos in the How-To links clearly show that the brake pads are fitted with holes to accept a second spring.

Interesting... and this bothers me somewhat. Man, I wonder what else is missing from our cars.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I'm installing Porterfiled R4S pads on my 6s, and they do not have various other parts thet go with the oem pads. Like the wire v shaped "springs/clips", and the thin metal plates that go on backs of the oem pads. Do I need these parts? Or do I just put the aftermarket pads in?[/b]

Well, since you've already installed them and apparently all is well, I was going to suggest giving Porterfield a call and tell them your situation, they might be able to suggest what to do.

The spring clips basically keep the pads from rattling around in the caliper. There's not enough room for them to move enough to do any damage, just annoy you with the noise. Maybe the Porterfield's are a little snugger fit.

Give Andy a call.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts