Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked this up over the weekend at Lowe's for 109.00 if anybody else is looking for a good orbital buffer. http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=prod...36SP&lpage=none Is the same as the Porter Cable 7424 you guys rave about but is packaged as a sander. Just get the proper pads and you're all good to go for cheaper. Everywhere I looked online had the 7424 for $149.99.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You could have just used mine when you come up for the meet.

Did the wife's IS300 yesterday in about an hour.

Love the shine!!!

John :cool:
[/b]
Thanks, but that only gets me through one wax. I think I'll have a few more in life. :)

·
Registered
261 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got the real deal on ebay at the link below for $109 This guy shipped fast and was very professional about it. He got very positive feedback from me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Porter-Cable-7424-6-Ra...1QQcmdZViewItem

My post on using the 7424 ---> http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=50312
[/b]
Excellent find. They are actually the EXACT same thing just packaged different. Actually mine came w/ a polishing pad and the sandpaper attatchment. Given the choice, I like the instant satisfaction of walking out the door w/ the product. Just letting other people know about the good deal.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have never used one of these before, would you say that it is safe to use? Where did you get the polishing pads? And what type of polishing pads did you get?

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have never used one of these before, would you say that it is safe to use? Where did you get the polishing pads? And what type of polishing pads did you get?
[/b]
Hey, another Austinite! Be sure to click the link in my sig to check out the Texas meet! A bunch of us are meeting up in RR and caravaning up to Dallas for it.

I'll be getting the ones recommended by NRA Life Member. I couldn't find anything worth a crap locally at Sears, Autozone, or O'Reilys.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-daspad-kit.html

This is supposed to be one of the easiest to use buffers out there.

·
Registered
380 Posts
The Sanus pads are good. You may also look at the Lake Country Pads. I've had good luck with those.

And yes, this machine is very safe. I intentionally tried to burn the paint on a work car I had a couple of years ago and was not able to do it. The PC 7424/7335 is a great investment for caring for your car's paint.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The Sanus pads are good. You may also look at the Lake Country Pads. I've had good luck with those.

And yes, this machine is very safe. I intentionally tried to burn the paint on a work car I had a couple of years ago and was not able to do it. The PC 7424/7335 is a great investment for caring for your car's paint.
[/b]
Does the PC have the ability to remove swirl marks and not just cover them up like wax? If so what products and pads would you use to remove swirl marks out of the car? I would really like to get one of these too if it has the ability to remove swirl marks and not just hide them.

Edit: Just noticed the link to the Sanus pads that just answered my question.

Question: The Orange pad does not state to use on clear coats. Would the Green pad be the most aggressive to use on the 6?

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Does the PC have the ability to remove swirl marks and not just cover them up like wax? If so what products and pads would you use to remove swirl marks out of the car? I would really like to get one of these too if it has the ability to remove swirl marks and not just hide them.

Edit: Just noticed the link to the Sanus pads that just answered my question.

Question: The Orange pad does not state to use on clear coats. Would the Green pad be the most aggressive to use on the 6?
[/b]
The orange pad is the most aggressive pad that has the most cut, and it is safe for clearcoats. The orange pad along with the right product has the ability to remove deep swirl marks and some light surface scratches. The green pad is just a polishing pad. I recommend using the Excel P2 pads. Those are my favorite pads for the PC. I've taken off the heaviest of swirls with the P2 pads along with PoorBoys products and SSR2.5 on swirls.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The orange pad is the most aggressive pad that has the most cut, and it is safe for clearcoats. The orange pad along with the right product has the ability to remove deep swirl marks and some light surface scratches. The green pad is just a polishing pad. I recommend using the Excel P2 pads. Those are my favorite pads for the PC. I've taken off the heaviest of swirls with the P2 pads along with PoorBoys products and SSR2.5 on swirls.
[/b]

I picked up a 7424 for my father for dad's day on Amazon for $107 shipped.(which soon after I will be borrowing) They have a "deal" going on now on selected tools and gave me 10% off the price. Just an FYI

·
Registered
221 Posts
[/b]
6ix SPEED, Your car looks so clean! Nice looking car. Your car is the reason I am looking into this Porter Cable. I want my steel gray to look that clean too. So shiny.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Just purchased one with a Sonus pad kit, after i am still not finished with detailing my car. I did the wash/dry, claybar, wash/dry, Meguiars cleaner wax, Meguiars Polish and then Meguiars NXT tech wax. So far it looks great but it makes for one long day doing everything by hand.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Just purchased one with a Sonus pad kit, after i am still not finished with detailing my car. I did the wash/dry, claybar, wash/dry, Meguiars cleaner wax, Meguiars Polish and then Meguiars NXT tech wax. So far it looks great but it makes for one long day doing everything by hand.
[/b]
no kidding get a porter cable it will do two days work in two hours

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
10 Participants
iboo
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing