Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a Porter Cable 7424 polisher and the Sonus DAS pad kit. I used Meguiars Step 2 polish on the green pad to get out the micro scratches. Actually my paint wasn't bad at all but I just wanted that little bit extra. After I buffed that off, I used NXT on the blue pad. I buffed that off with the green microfiber bonnet on top of the white pad that came with the polisher. All applications and product removal were with the PC 7424. The result is the shine you see in the pics. I'm of course very pleased with the results but I'm also pleased with the PC 7424. It is easy to use, it is the right size and it is powerful. The next test will be the wife's minivan and its 4 acres of paint.

Pads Link
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-daspad-kit.html
[attachmentid=11675]

[attachmentid=11676]

[attachmentid=11677]

Attachments

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Wow, that looks like a great job!

How long did it take you to accomplish the job?? How well would you say the polish remove the micro scratches? Also, how about the roof? PITA?

Excellent job again.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I've got the PC 7424 also and I must say that it is a great investment.

My friends line up to borrow it.

For those that have never used an electric polisher, don't be afraid of the PC7424.
You can't ruin the paint.

John :cool:

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Looks great Lar, but I must say it's looked just as good when you've done it by hand. :)

Not the important question: How much easier was it with the 7424?

And let us know how much easier it makes the minivan.

:D

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How long did it take you to accomplish the job?? How well would you say the polish remove the micro scratches? Also, how about the roof? PITA?
[/b]
I still spent about 2 hours just polishing, waxing and buffing out. The major difference I see is that I got a WHOLE LOT more polishing with the PC than I can by hand before I wear out. When I polish by hand, you always start out strong and the polishing goes well and the scratches start buffing out but by the end, you just kind of give it the once over and get on to the waxing. With the PC7424, it doesn't get tired and you get the same gloss al over the car and it doesn't tire your butt out. The roof was no problem at all with the PC. Nice wide open flat places are just a piece of cake for all the pads.

I think the pads and polish did a wonderful job. You just get so many more repetitions in a short amount of time with the polisher, it's just hands down better.

I really could have spent more time and got more of the microscratches out but 2 hours is all the time I had for the job so I had to compromise scratch removal vs getting done before the next thing I had to go do with the family. Gotta keep the family happy!!!

Here's some more NXT at work!! My latest toy!!

[attachmentid=11694]

Attachments

·
Registered
905 Posts
Looks great Lar, but I must say it's looked just as good when you've done it by hand. :)

Not the important question: How much easier was it with the 7424?

And let us know how much easier it makes the minivan.

:D
[/b]
the greatest difference is the warmth the machine can generate not so much the time savings because you can still remove by hand or buffing bonnet. The machine can warm up your compounds faster/better than you can allowing them to break down/adhere to the surface better.

Good results though. I myself would probably look into using a different finishing wax.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
2 hours? wow...think I'm sold. The last time I've polished my car and then waxed it...took me about 3 hours. That was while not doing the best of job too. Think I gotta look into a PC.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
dawei213
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing