Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a 944 Porsche for the longest time. Everytime I find one, it appears that someone either raised Eagles in the front seat or used the interior as a dog house. Some of these cars don't even look like they would restore well. What is up? I thought these cars were somewhat exotic, upper end cars back in the day. Now, every Elmer, Otto, and John Boy own one; are trying to sell it, but they look like shit! Not only do they look like shit, but they want serious cash for them.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
lol what is this your new list or annoyances?

·
Registered
37 Posts
My brother had a turbo when he was 16. They were crap then and are even worse now. There is one that someone on the same block as me is selling. Blk/blk/blk in really good shape with 160K miles on it. i think he wants $5,500 for it. They used to have a ton of problems but you can still find some that are in good shape. You realize that when new they were the bottom rung other than the 924. Look for a mid 90's 911 or even a early 90's 928 if you want something that is a hell of a lot of fun.

·
Registered
634 Posts
944's are cheap, so they've been used and abused in many cases. They require a lot of maintenance and often don't get it, so they end up looking, and more importantly running like sh!t. When they are running right, however, they are a well-balanced automobile (50-50 IIRC) and as a result can handle really well. I personally wouldn't mind finding a nice 944 (probably an S2) that hasn't been abused or modded, but good examples are hard to come by. This is the problem with 'exotics' that depreciate to the point that your average moron can afford one.

928s...damn if you think the 944 is a POS stay away from the 928...maintenance NIGHTMARES from what little I've heard.

·
Registered
37 Posts
944's are cheap, so they've been used and abused in many cases. They require a lot of maintenance and often don't get it, so they end up looking, and more importantly running like sh!t. When they are running right, however, they are a well-balanced automobile (50-50 IIRC) and as a result can handle really well. I personally wouldn't mind finding a nice 944 (probably an S2) that hasn't been abused or modded, but good examples are hard to come by. This is the problem with 'exotics' that depreciate to the point that your average moron can afford one.

928s...damn if you think the 944 is a POS stay away from the 928...maintenance NIGHTMARES from what little I've heard.
[/b]

I used to have a 94 928 before the 6 and I loved it. Other than the brakes and a few minor other things it ran well. Never had any real trouble with it. From the 84 to 90 MY they were nightmares. A lot of problems, way to long to list those troubles.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I loved those cars 944’s 968’s.
I really wanted a 968.
I have never owned a Porsche but I believe like most high-end sports cars if you do not take care of it, they will cause major problems.
Most people just drove them into the ground and then cried, “These cars are shit!” :swearin:

928’s, 944’s and 968’s. Hell yeah!

If you go with a 944 go for the S2 as someone said before me.
They are cheap now but you will pay 2 to 3 times as much for the maintenance and up keep :nono: .

By the way… 944 are known for their great handling :drive: . Far better than the tail happy 911’s :slap: .

·
Registered
695 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts