1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Car of the Year

2014 Mazda6

Price: $21,675

Everybody loves an underdog story. Consider the fact that tiny, independent Mazda, now disassociated from Ford, built the 6 on an all-new architecture exclusive to the Japanese carmaker. The only cars that bear any structural similarity are Mazda's own 3 and CX-5. Under the hood is the same story: a 184-hp engine made by Mazda, for Mazda, that delivers up to 40 miles per gallon on the highway. This, from a company about one-eighth the size of General Motors. And the Mazda6 drives like a sports car. No other family sedan is as responsive, yet the ride is still sufficiently supple. The cabin design is simple, but we appreciate the straightforward functionality. This is not to say the Mazda lacks comfort; there's plenty of space for two adults and a child seat in the rear. And just try to find an interior surface that's not padded. If you want the latest technology features, they're all available: adaptive cruise control, automatic high beams, lane-departure warning, blind-spot monitoring, and forward-collision warning. There's even an optional supercapacitor system that helps the alternator run less often, boosting mileage. Of course, it also helps that the Mazda6 is wrapped in sheet metal with curves that would make a Maserati jealous. But the 6 didn't earn our highest award because we're pulling for the little guy. It won because Mazda engineers set out to make a truly great car and succeeded.

Top 10 Cars for 2014: PM Auto Excellence Awards - Popular Mechanics

----
So PROUD and quite an HONOR to own one (on top of many awards and accolades)...:lol::thumbup:

·
Registered
926 Posts
"It won because Mazda engineers set out to make a truly great car and succeeded."

sums it up right there, I love how the Entertainment/informant system was not even mentioned, instead focused on the more important points of what a car really is. The design int/ext, and the driving experience, plus some bonus tech

Glad I stuck with my decision to get this car and I have no regrets getting it. At some points I considered a Ford focus, an Impreza with the dreaded 3 letter thing :D, the last gen mazda3, and a few others, but in the end, stuck with the 6

·
Registered
782 Posts
Nice to see the Mazda 6 getting the recognition it deserves. They really hit the ball out of the park with this car. Anyone see this 8 car Edmunds comparison? The Mazda 6 won by a comfortable margin against the previous class leaders.

Prior to settling on the 6, I was cross shopping the Audi A4, A5, BMW 3 series and Infiniti Q50. Even against more prestigious brands, the Mazda 6 holds its own. It's at the top of my consideration list. Now, if they'd just freakin' bring the Mazdaspeed 6 out already, I'm ready to buy one.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Awesome! I feel like a proud father haha. I was originally looking at something smaller that would sip gas (ie. elantra, 3, focus, jetta) the mazda 6 wasn't even on my radar. When i went to drive the new mazda 3 I saw the 6 and fell in love with the lines of the vehicle especially with the 19 inch rims. I love my car!

·
Administrator
2021 Mazda6 Carbon Edition
8,657 Posts
Wow! IMO a great honor and endorsement.

·
Registered
318 Posts
No surprise there, one of the best vehicles I've owned so far and I've had quite a few from lower end to luxury.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm a somewhat of a sucker for underdogs.

A small, niche, under the radar car manufacturer. Became free and independent from the shackles of Big Three Ford (for nearly 3 decades) and stood on its own two feet.

A risk taker, and bet it all. "Go for broke" as the saying goes...and succeeded in the process (the Sky-Active Series).

That is Mazda for you.

I'm glad to say, as a conquest customer..to be part of Mazda success

·
Registered
370 Posts
M6 deserves the accolades. I was researching and test driving cars for almost a year to replace by 15 year old ride, nothing really caught my fancy.
I never heard about the 2014 Mazda6 untill late January when I accidentally stumbled on it in Edmunds.com. One test drive couple of weeks later and I knew I did'nt need to look further.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I said this once and ill say it again: i never like mazda (besides the FC3S), so i was going to buy a WRX, but luckily my ex told me to look a mazda.. And i ACCIDENTALLY stumbled upon the 2014 M6, and never looked back at a daily... Now i have something to drive and can save money for an nsx/r34 gtr/r35 gtr/f40/or wtf ever i want to buy down the line... Next year im buying an RX7 and doing a 13BREW swap in it... And ill still be able to drive a nice luxirious vehicle that can top the german car league

·
Registered
78 Posts
I love my 2014 Mazda6 with Grand Touring package! Everyone is impressed with the super good looks. And, the car performs very smoothly. Best of all, the gas mileage is terrific.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just about to turn six months of ownership and I have yet to show my face at the dealer. Not one problem or issue (not counting the crappy head unit, of course). Mileage averaging 29-31 per tank and that's with a lot of short trips (2-4 miles). With 5600 miles on the clock I guess I'll bite the bullet and show my face at the dealer for an oil change in the next few weeks.

In summary, This car is perfect for me in that it's super stylish (especially at its price point) has a quality interior with clean styling without a garish space alien center stack.
I love the rear cross path warning which has saved my butt numerous times while backing up. I too, didn't have it on my radar, but one test drive and I stopped looking. That says a heck of a lot about this car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts