Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced the transmission and on the first test drive I couldn't get it to stay in second gear. I could shift 1 to 3, but not second.

I also replaced the trans mounts and axels. I had to zip tie the cables to get them to stay in the mount on the tranny.

How would you go about troubleshooting this? I was thinking of pulling the cables back further...

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Seems to me that it's either a shift cable adj issue... where the stroke of the shift mechanism at the 'box is un-naturally limited by the shifter/cable (preventing full and complete engagement)... or the synchro sleeve or the dog teeth on the "speed gear" (2nd speed gear) have been damaged due to abuse. Said combination of synchro teeth and dog-teeth... have a backwards machining cut to prevent gear slip-out; that could've been knackered by abusively fast shifting.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've done some troubleshooting and I believe that the 2nd gear synchro is bad and needs to be replaced. All gears work accept 2nd it pops out as soon as I touch the gas pedal.

Where can I get a synchro kit for this trans? I'm having trouble finding one.
My goal is to get the car running and then sell it as it is a good clean car.

I was also thinking I may swap it to an automatic as this would be easier to sell. Is there much differences between the auto and manual? Starter? Cables of course...

Any help would be much appriciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thought about it and there would be a lot more things to change to auto. Not worth the money. Need a syncro kit or a used trans that is actually good. Hartlaub in Pa sold me a bad trans and they don't back what they sell.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've done some troubleshooting and I believe that the 2nd gear synchro is bad and needs to be replaced. All gears work accept 2nd it pops out as soon as I touch the gas pedal.

Where can I get a synchro kit for this trans? I'm having trouble finding one.
My goal is to get the car running and then sell it as it is a good clean car.

I was also thinking I may swap it to an automatic as this would be easier to sell. Is there much differences between the auto and manual? Starter? Cables of course...

Any help would be much appriciated.
Took the transmission apart. It needs a new second gear, all new synchros, and a new 1st/2nd synchro slider sleeve.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
In reality, when a person buys a used transmission... and they say "tested"... how can they actually test it, say, in a car that has been totalled, incapacitated...?

Though many folks have had success buying a used M/T - I for one would be really reluctant to do so, unless I had the intent of having a look-see at the innards first (before I installed it...and I realize not everyone has the time or ability to do so)... Maybe I am extreme in this view... but I like un-mucked M/T's... (I'm fussy with this).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts