Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
I think he misses what the real flaws are.

·
Registered
412 Posts
GM is screwed. Their image going down the toilet along with their stock. They just lauched new SUV's right before spring when gas prices are climbing back to $3 a gallon while their cars are getting just enough attention to maintain some kind of freshness. At the same time they're dumping their oldest and most fuel efficient engines they had such as the 3800 V6. That engine has been around forever. Sure it's got pushrods but it got 30 on the highway and had boat loads of torque.

GM allowed their vehicles to be behind for so long they finally had to simply axe half the model names half of us grew up with because they had such bad names for themselves instead of actually improving them over the years. In the quality department you'll find that issues that were common in the late 80's were common in the 90's yet and in those 10 years they built a lot of SHIT. They bring back names in a half ass attempt to reclaim a past glory like the Impala a few years ago, then discontinue it only to bring it back as a mediocre at best FWD sedan.

They lack any thought and innovation on their car lines and there is just no direction. They make a million types of cars but they all overlap so badly because of the platform sharing that they're vehicles just compete with themselves.

What bugs me the most is I really want to like GM but they just don't get it.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Ugh, GM does cater to what customers want. Their cars are soft, handle like shit, underpowered, and look bland from inside and out. How is that different from Toyota's philosophy on building cars?

·
Registered
13 Posts
GM's biggest problem is the union and all of the pension/health care costs carried. That is something that Japanese mfg's don't have. If you actually look at GM products, Cadillac as a group is building great cars. GM trucks are leaders. Buick has been a quality leader for years. Chevy still does well with volumn business. All in all it is not the product as much as the overhead that can't be dumped.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
GM's biggest problem is the union and all of the pension/health care costs carried. That is something that Japanese mfg's don't have. If you actually look at GM products, Cadillac as a group is building great cars. GM trucks are leaders. Buick has been a quality leader for years. Chevy still does well with volumn business. All in all it is not the product as much as the overhead that can't be dumped.
[/b]

GM Trucks are leaders? I don't think so. With the Ford F150 selling over 1.5million by itself in a YEAR, there is no way that GM trucks are in the lead.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
I think it's actually the total F-series that sells 1.5 million. The F-150 hasn't topped 1 million units in many, many years (though it's been close the last 2 years).

Either way, Chevrolet is still quite a ways behind in volume.

Hard to really compare though. Ford only has Ford to sell large trucks (and a few Lincolns). GM has its' truck sales spread over both Chevrolet and GMC. Add both of them together (the Silverado and the Sierra), and you find that they're basically in a dead-heat with the F-150.

Brand-to-Brand, Ford wins (though Ford and GM are fighting over that title for last year, fighting over whether cars sold to dealers or cars sold to cusomers should count in the total)

Company-to-Company, GM wins. GM sells almost 50% more trucks than Ford does. GM is a bigger company though, so it follows that they would sell more.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Well, I think we have hit on several of the problems I see.

1) General Motors is a comglomerated business, not a car company (although they are trying to become one).
2) The car segment was run for too many years by accountants and financiers, not car people.
3) The mangerial bureaucracy is excessively bloated, making change like trying to drift the Titanic.
4) The unions have become an additional bloated bureaucracy, instead of workers just doing their jobs.
5) The unions have imposed what have become extremely expensive benefit and work rules.
6) Any design talent they have does not show in the finished product.
7) A reliance on outdated and outmoded technology.
8) Delphi. This is a bomb that will go off badly for GM.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
8 Participants
ZoomZoom Diva
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing