Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=114913

The 500-horsepower roadster will be piloted by 2005 Formula Drift champion Rhys Millen and will make its official Formula D drifting debut on June 10 at Soldier Field in Chicago.

The GXP Drift features a race-modified version of the Solstice GXP turbocharged 2.0-liter Ecotec engine that produces roughly double the horsepower of the street-legal GXP that will go on sale this fall.

The competition Ecotec engine runs on E85 ethanol-based fuel, uses thick-wall iron cylinder liners, a race-ported cylinder head, tubular stainless steel exhaust headers, a performance camshaft, a unique engine control system and a water-to-air intercooled turbocharger. It was developed by the same GM Racing engineers behind the Ecotec sport compact drag racing motors. The GXP Drift is outfitted with a production six-speed transmission and the production GXP rear differential.

"With the added power, this new drift vehicle is sure to give me a boost against some very strong competition while fighting for our second drift title," said Millen.

What this means to you: In other words, this hot little Solstice is The Fast and the Furious: Detroit Drift.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Pretty impressive since ethanol gives you less power then gasoline.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I mean, fuck dude! I wanted the GXP but why can't this race version be the standard GXP? Dammit
[/b]
Yea it would be nice, maybe 1 day we'll see more of the ethanol type performance though.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
I thought the lower energy content of ethanol was all about mileage, but that it could actually be used to produce more horsepower due to its naturally over 100 octane.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I thought the lower energy content of ethanol was all about mileage, but that it could actually be used to produce more horsepower due to its naturally over 100 octane.
[/b]
Ethenol when mixed will burn less than in pure state or with a "non bonding" chemical. So I have been told since it's intro into the fuels back in the 80's.
When E is the major player and the engine IS setup to use it, it will and can develop more HP than the mix we get. It is not about economy. It is about cost to use.
As for Rhy's jumping from the GTO to the GXP, you can see where GM wants to go for engine and sales. It ought to be interesting to see if the Solstice can upset the OLD SCHOOL Nissans. :D
Nothing like having 12 -15 year old NISSANs kickin butt STILL in a world of NEW TECH. :yesnod:

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
That is sweet.

Now they need to bring out a hard-top production Sky/Solstice with say 300hp and I'd be very interested.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
7 Participants
strtfghtr
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing