Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
A commercial from GM/USA???...This is not a fair comparision though...the GXP Solstice will kick the crap out of the MX-5!!! Although I am really fond of the light weight rear view mirror on the Mazda...you must admit that Mazda was outdone here and outdone by GM!!!!

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
He doesn't even get into the real design of the two cars! It was a tie between the two tests, with the MX-5 quicker in one and the Solstice in the other. However, in livability and design, the MX-5 slaughters the Solstice.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A commercial from GM/USA???...[/b]
Someone needs to get familiar with Keiichi Tsuchiya and Best Motoring.

This is not a fair comparision though...the GXP Solstice will kick the crap out of the MX-5!!!
[/b]
What's not fair about it?

Err...turbo I4 GXP vs NA I4 MX-5 is a fair comparison? I'm sure that makes sense someplace. Like a sanitarium.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I think comparing the two is very fair...I can't watch the video because im at work but just looking at the cars:

MX5 Grand Touring:
Lightweight sporty rwd convertable priced at 25K

Solstice GXP:
Lightweight sporty rwd convertable priced at 27K

they sound close enough to me to do a fair comparison

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
I think comparing the two is very fair...I can't watch the video because im at work but just looking at the cars:

MX5 Grand Touring:
Lightweight sporty rwd convertable priced at 25K

Solstice GXP:
Lightweight sporty rwd convertable priced at 27K

they sound close enough to me to do a fair comparison
[/b]
More like priced at $30K when equipped similarly. It's a price class above the MX-5.

·
Registered
337 Posts
More like priced at 27k with the MX-5 being priced at 26k, when equally equipped as the Solstice. It definitely is a class above the MX-5, not necessarily in price though.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
More like priced at 27k with the MX-5 being priced at 26k, when equally equipped as the Solstice. It definitely is a class above the MX-5, not necessarily in price though.
[/b]
$27K For a GXP? You don't even get air-conditioning at that price, a $1000 option. Try closer to $30,000 for the same equipment as the GT MX-5 (and you still don't get some things). And dealers are getting a $3000 to $5000 premium on top of that too, while you can get a bit off MSRP on the Miata, bring the price difference down to more like $10,000.

And it's a "class above the MX-5" in the same that a SRT-4 is a class above a Mazda6 -- just because you're faster, doesn't make you a "class above". The Solstice is a superb first effort, but doesn't have a fraction of the refinement of the MX-5 both in driving experience and construction materials (which are particularly deplorable, particularly for a $30K car), and has zero practicality, having a completely useless trunk when the top is up and a completely inaccessible trunk when the top is down and absolutely no storage in the passenger compartment.

You might as well buy an Ariel Atom or some other track-purpose car if you're willing to buy a car with such impracticality. It's actually built better than the Solstice is, has more storage space (which isn't saying much, you can stow a duffel bag in the Atom), is a shitload faster, and if you want to draw attention (which is really what Solstice buyers are going for) there's probably no better car.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
You are being far too nice to consider it a superb first effort. The roof and trunk design of the car are so horribly flawed that it should never have left the drawing board. Where were the people without their heads up their asses to force the designers to design them properly? Retarded monkeys could likely have designed them better.

When I compared the two cars, adding pretty much every option to the Solstice (except On-Star or ATX) and the suspension and CD changer packages to the MX-5, the difference was $4000 list to list. To give a closer base-to-base you would go with a Sport or even a Touring model and the gap remains about the same.

$4000 is not directly comparable.

·
Registered
649 Posts
The solstice is hands down the cheapest looking roadster i have ever seen. There was one in the parking lot the other day and from a distance it doesn't look that bad, but once you get right up on it you can definitely see where they forgot quality is a good thing. The front is by far the ugliest thing i have ever seen on a car, it's too rounded for those square like honeycomb grilles. :barf:

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
ok I just watched the video...that wasnt a GXP Solstice. I was under the impression that it was a comparison between those 2...

So he chose the NA Solstice over the MX5...then it's official, the GXP will wipe the floor with the MX5 if the regular solsice beats it, cudos to GM, too bad the Solstice is ugly but the Saturn Sky takes care of that problem.

Compare the bottom base model Solstice to the top of the line MX5 if you want, appearently from that review the Solstice still performed extremly well and if you don't want to say the GM one then you have to admit it performed just as good.

·
Registered
649 Posts
The Sky is a much more attractive car, i think GM messed up. I would have pushed the Solstice through Saturn and the Sky through Pontiac under a G4 monacher. The problem is that even though the cars are very similar and their all under the GM umbrella, i still have an uneasy feeling about the Saturn line. I don't know what it is but i have no confidence in the name. Whenever i hear saturn i think unreliable, and cheap. Now i can't say that i hold Pontiac much higher, but the fact that the line has been around as long as it has adds credit to thier name, in my opinion. I don't know if many consumers feel the same way i do but i think that from a marketing stand point the Sky would sell better in the Pontiac family then in the Saturn family.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I have read dozens of articles from car magazines and newspapers...close to all of them said that the Miata is still a pure roadster where the GM Solstice/Sky is lacking in most departments. I don't buy the "first attempt" argument. The Miata has been perfect since it debuted in 1990.

I have driven every Miata (16 years worth) and the Mazdaspeed Miata. I have also driven the Saturn Sky and the Solstice. There is no possible way either GM crapbag can top the design of the Miata or the looks. I have never felt more displaced in a sportscar, than I did in the Saturn/Pontiac. The steering has no feel, the chasis has many flaws, the style is awful, and throwing more power doesn't make it a more advanced car. Go drive a handful of roadsters from 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and today, then drive the GM. That makes for a much better comparison.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Compare the bottom base model Solstice to the top of the line MX5 if you want, appearently from that review the Solstice still performed extremly well and if you don't want to say the GM one then you have to admit it performed just as good.
[/b]
I will admit it performed just as well to this driver in this test. We also do not know how the MX-5 was equipped. Did it have the suspension package? They mentioned an LSD for the Solstice, but not the MX-5. There are numerous other tests placing the MX-5 above the Solstice in performance. Yes, the GXP will likely outperform the MX-5 on the track. For $4000 more, it better do that at the very least.

However, track performace is not the only factor to consider when evaluating any car, even a sport roadster. Unfortunately, the Solstice fails miserably, particarly when compared to the excellent MX-5 in those other factors.

·
Registered
18 Posts
the solstice and the sky are better looking cars by far, imho. i lust after both when they drive by. i've never been a miata fan, either. for that kind of car, lust factor is a big deal.

if i didn't have kids, i'd love to have a roadster. right now, those two cars get my vote.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
I agree lust factor is important, but I have left it out because it is also highly subjective. It's like some people will lust after people others think is ugly. In the same token, I find the MX-5 far sexier than the hideously ugly Solstice and only slightly better Sky.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I gave this some more thought...'truth is (not trying to be funny here) the Mazda Miata name changed to mx-5 to hide the fact that there is this "gay / rainbow" tag that remains aloft in the air...while trying to loose the tag and at same time dicking around with a light-weight rear-view mirror, GM came along with 260 horsepower and 260 torque...both the Pontiac GX-P and Saturn Sky redline have "balls"...something the Miata did not have...even these two clown jokers on vidieo concluded that the NA model BEAT the MX-5 on the track!!! We have not even touched on the turbo issue here...Turbo = Game over!!!! ... score one for GM... C6

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
It was a tie, not a victory. Also, like before mentioned, you cannot fairly compare the turbo version because of its much higher pricetag. You also are looking at the car in the narrowest of senses, and when you look at the total car, the Solstice/Sky doesn't even come close.

Of course, you are addicted to brute caveman power (based on a summary of posts), so other criteria are generally neglected in your car assessments.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I gave this some more thought...'truth is (not trying to be funny here) the Mazda Miata name changed to mx-5 to hide the fact that there is this "gay / rainbow" tag that remains aloft in the air...while trying to loose the tag [/b]
The Mazda Miata has always been called the Mazda Miata MX-5. They did not drop the Miata name, they just named it the Mazda MX-5 Miata (vs Mazda Miata MX-5, not a big difference). Also, if you haven't noticed, every new model Mazda is subjected to the same name treatment now. Mazda3, Mazda5, Mazda6, Mazda CX-7, Mazda CX-9, Mazda RX-8, Mazda MX-5, etc. Besides, Mazda has been doing that for years, but now they just standardized it for less confusion and a logical naming system.

and at same time dicking around with a light-weight rear-view mirror, GM came along with 260 horsepower and 260 torque...both the Pontiac GX-P and Saturn Sky redline have "balls"...something the Miata did not have...even these two clown jokers on vidieo concluded that the NA model BEAT the MX-5 on the track!!! We have not even touched on the turbo issue here...Turbo = Game over!!!! ... score one for GM... C6[/b]
Again... for $4000-5000 more, a car BETTER beat the MX-5. Just building the two cars on their respective car makers websites, with the same features, the Solstice costs $3500 more, and that is before the dealer marks it up. The Turbo Solstice will probably cost $10,000 more. It better be faster. Wait for the Mazdaspeed MX-5 for a true comparison between the two cars. I bet you that the Mazdaspeed MX-5 will come out on top. I also will say that it is a goddamn lie that the N/A Solstice beats the MX-5 around the track, considering the Solstice weighs a whopping 370lbs more. Seven HP will not make up that weight difference, ESPECIALLY on a track, and the fact the the MX-5 comes with one extra gear standard over the Solstice when similarily equipped. Somebody is lying their ass off and not doing a good job at covering it.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts