Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"It's no secret General Motors is planning a new Pontiac GTO based on he forthcoming 2009 Chevrolet Camaro. But the GTO isn't the only Zeta-platform-based car in the pipeline for Pontiac, according to the Chicago Tribune. Columnist Jim Mateja says Pontiac's rear-wheel-drive sedan will use the "G8" moniker and arrive as a "companion to the next-generation GTO." Recently, there have been rumors that the 2007 VE Commodore (pictured) may be directly imported to America as a Pontiac, but the Tribune report seems to suggest the G8 may get different styling to match the new GTO. Also noteworthy is the nomenclature — will the vehicle continue the Grand Prix lineage, or use the G8 moniker in the footsteps of the alphanumeric G6? With any luck, we'll find out in the not-too-distant future…"

·
Registered
900 Posts
It is interesting to see Pontiac making this their thing - sporty, rear wheel drive cars (yes, the G6 is going there, too). Then you have Saturn getting the most real cars their lineup has ever had - even if it is rebadged Opels. Cadillac has made big strides in the past few years. GMC is holding it's own and Hummer might just have enough testasterone to hang in there. If they bring Chevy back to basics and dump Buick, GM might just make it.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Man I hope they don't totaly get rid of the the Grand Prix...that's an American staple in the car world and has been around since 1962...though I do love the idea of bringing the "grand prix" class back to V8 RWD. I think Pontiac is headed towards some good things with their new lineup and just needs to do things right.

The last time i was excited about an american car company was Dodge/chrysler and they sure dropped the ball...overpriced crossfire SRT-6, automatic 4-door Charger, as bad as the neon was it was better then the Calibur, so disapointing

·
Registered
990 Posts
The new MT has the new Commodore SS on the cover with a Pontiac front end. The pics in the article look great....I've got to say, this is the first Pontiac I've ever been excited about. The GTO is cool, but a 2 door isn't practical for me.

Here's hoping GM doesn't dilute it too much.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
ta da....

Don't like the wheels, and the grills are typical Pontiac...needs a smaller wing but I love the rest :love:
way less bubbly than the current GTO

except for the gross burnt orange but it will look sick in black

wait I've been had...it's a photochopped Holden

http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=542446

oh well...
anyone have the motortrend pics?

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I've got to say, this is the first Pontiac I've ever been excited about.[/b]
I hope you mean in recent years. Pontiac's had a lot of good, desirable cars over the years.

My dad always had GM cars (Buicks and Oldsmobiles), so I've always had an affinity for GM (especially the classic cars) even though I've only owned one, a 2000 Saturn LS2 (which was a huge disappointment). I have to say, if GM continues in this direction, I may very well own a GM product in the future!

By the way, there are going to be problems raising the hood on that photochopped prototype. Notice the hood cut lines on either side of the grille, but then the center post is connected to both the hood and the bumper! WTF! :laugh:

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,532 Posts
Very nice... :thumbup:

I'll chime in as well and agree that Pontiac is in the right direction going RWD. It's also been rumored that they'll be dropping the SUVs and minivans from their lineup. The Montana SV6 is gone already...

In terms of them doing it "right", we'll see. I think that sticking to the performance-oriented models, with powerful motors, a choice of MTX or ATX for ALL models, a LSD or two, etc. should spell success for GM. If they continue to improve interior styling, materials, and fit-and-finish like the newer GM models (the new Tahoe interior is VERY nice), I actually might consider buying one again.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I hope you mean in recent years. Pontiac's had a lot of good, desirable cars over the years.

My dad always had GM cars (Buicks and Oldsmobiles), so I've always had an affinity for GM (especially the classic cars) even though I've only owned one, a 2000 Saturn LS2 (which was a huge disappointment). I have to say, if GM continues in this direction, I may very well own a GM product in the future!

By the way, there are going to be problems raising the hood on that photochopped prototype. Notice the hood cut lines on either side of the grille, but then the center post is connected to both the hood and the bumper! WTF! :laugh:
[/b]
LOL good catch...I was so giddy I didn't even notice

maybe it's like that Sweedish car designed by women that the hood can't open

·
Registered
990 Posts
[/b]
nope...pretty much overall. I've been driving since '90 (legally) ...in that time frame, there has never been a Pontiac that I wanted to own. The Formula & T/A Firebirds were cool, but not really me. The new GTO is very cool, but now with 2 kids, not practical for me. The Solstice looks like fun, but I don't have the budget for a fun car. I've never really liked the previous Grand Prix's...decent exterior styling, but the interiors were complete crap. Not to mention the fact that they've never offered a sport sedan with a stick.

This new concept/photochop is the only Pontiac that I could see myself owning.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I found concept art of the new GTO on motortrend.com

http://www.motortrend.com/future/spied_veh...f/photo_06.html

Also this little writeup:
2008 Pontiac GTO: Internally called the GMX282, the 2008 GTO will be built on GM's new Zeta platform, now under development in Australia by GM's Holden subsidiary. The Zeta platform brings a new suspension all around, with a more sophisticated independent rearend promising better traction and even sweeter handling. The wheelbase has grown marginally to 110 inches. The next GTO will carry over the 6.0-liter, 400-horse LS2 from the current car as well as the six-speed manual transmission. The new GTO looks more muscular than today's model, with a fastback roofline and strong tension in the profile and pumped fenders. Overall length is down 0.8 inch to 189. The only retro nods on this car are the wide-track Pontiac-style front end and the twin hood scoops.
[/b]
Also the 2008 Bonneville:
2008 Pontiac Bonneville: All-new sedan built on the rear-drive Zeta platform, offered with optional V-8 engine.
[/b]
Looks like the bonneville is being based off the Camaro platform too...pontiac is looking to be very interesting again :burnout:

·
Registered
337 Posts
I found concept art of the new GTO on motortrend.com
http://www.motortrend.com/future/spied_veh...f/photo_06.html
Looks like the bonneville is being based off the Camaro platform too...pontiac is looking to be very interesting again :burnout:
[/b]
Thats an older drawing of what the concept was supposed to look like. Its basically a combination of the99 GTO concept and the current GTO. The future Pontiac lineup is supposed to look like this: new RWD sedan on the Global RWD architecture called either G8 or Grand Prix, the second gen G6 will stay fwd but with awd capabilities, the second gen Solstice is supposed to grow in size and have a coupe version, and the GTO will be based off the longer wheel base version of the Global RWD architecture and be modern looking.

·
Registered
531 Posts
GM really needs to concentrate on fit and finish, in general their cars really aren't that bad. They need to design more appealing-to-the-eye cars (Pontiac is definately heading in that direction) and to improve their interiors to help win over the Japanese and European only crowd. They can do it but I don't know what's taking them so long.

·
Registered
121 Posts
GM has screwed up so many promising ideas over the years, its hard to think they can do anything properly.
I'll believe it when I see it (& see how much it'll cost). At least the new GTO doesn't look like a cartoon car ( last gen Camaro).

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
i think they'll get this right...they have to

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
"It's no secret General Motors is planning a new Pontiac GTO based on he forthcoming 2009 Chevrolet Camaro. But the GTO isn't the only Zeta-platform-based car in the pipeline for Pontiac, according to the Chicago Tribune. Columnist Jim Mateja says Pontiac's rear-wheel-drive sedan will use the "G8" moniker and arrive as a "companion to the next-generation GTO." Recently, there have been rumors that the 2007 VE Commodore (pictured) may be directly imported to America as a Pontiac, but the Tribune report seems to suggest the G8 may get different styling to match the new GTO. Also noteworthy is the nomenclature — will the vehicle continue the Grand Prix lineage, or use the G8 moniker in the footsteps of the alphanumeric G6? With any luck, we'll find out in the not-too-distant future…"

[/b]

Mateja couldn't find a performance car if it ran him over. Frankly I don't believe anything GM is doing or saying, as in the past 10 years they've killed off just about every good *affordable* performance car they ever had in their lineup. And before you wave the Corvette in my face, it is indeed a fine performance car but to be realistic its simply out of the financial reach of the average driver. If the "new" Camaro is anything like the overblown ugly creation they were dragging around to the auto shows I don't see it having much longer of a life than the reincarnation of the GTO. What makes anyone think the third reincarnation of the GTO will be any better?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Mateja couldn't find a performance car if it ran him over. Frankly I don't believe anything GM is doing or saying, as in the past 10 years they've killed off just about every good *affordable* performance car they ever had in their lineup. And before you wave the Corvette in my face, it is indeed a fine performance car but to be realistic its simply out of the financial reach of the average driver.

[/b]
Not only that, but much like the Lotus Elise, it is horrible to live with from day to day. There is a reason that Ferraris, Porsches, and Lambos cost so much more. You can drive them on the street comfortably and race them on a track and outperform nearly anything.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Not only that, but much like the Lotus Elise, it is horrible to live with from day to day. There is a reason that Ferraris, Porsches, and Lambos cost so much more. You can drive them on the street comfortably and race them on a track and outperform nearly anything.
[/b]
A regular Corvette is at least as nice of a ride as any exotic is. It's a favorite of the baby boomers for a reason. It's the Z06 that will beat you to death, has too much power on tap for most, and twitchy steering; the C5 Z06 was bad, the C6 Z06 is really bad for daily driving.

·
Registered
337 Posts
[/b]
Because Ferraris, Porsches, and Lambos are even more attainable for the average person :sarc:. I'd hope they'd be better daily drivers since they are two to three times the cost of a Vette. You figure that the extra cost has to be put towards something to make them more worthwhile then the Vette since they obviously don't use it to make the engine better then the Vette's.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Because Ferraris, Porsches, and Lambos are even more attainable for the average person :sarc: . I'd hope they'd be better daily drivers since they are two to three times the cost of a Vette. You figure that the extra cost has to be put towards something to make them more worthwhile then the Vette since they obviously don't use it to make the engine better then the Vette's. [/b]
Not to sound like a dick, but since you rolled your eyes at me, I have to bring out my inner asshole. How is this what you've said:

Because Ferraris, Porsches, and Lambos are even more attainable for the average person :sarc: . I'd hope they'd be better daily drivers since they are two to three times the cost of a Vette.[/b]
Different from what I have said?

Not only that, but much like the Lotus Elise, it is horrible to live with from day to day. There is a reason that Ferraris, Porsches, and Lambos cost so much more. You can drive them on the street comfortably and race them on a track and outperform nearly anything.[/b]
I don't get you people sometimes. :slap:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts