Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Opinion: Bucks less on shifts

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fist off, I am trying to decide on a mount so in searching I realized that an attempt should be made to condense all motor mount posts into an organized poll... let me know how this works out as I can change poll as people see fit.

Also post more comments if you feel you need to explain your choices.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
I'm planning on picking up one for a first mod. I've been checking them all out recently, and the AWR is out because it's too harsh for a daily driver IMO. I was leaning CP-E, but the new Street Unit piece looks to be the best of the bunch in my research. It may just be me, but it just looks like the most solid...the machining looks top notch, and it seems to be a good blend between the soft CP-E and the race AWR poly unit.

:)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm planning on picking up one for a first mod. I've been checking them all out recently, and the AWR is out because it's too harsh for a daily driver IMO. I was leaning CP-E, but the new Street Unit piece looks to be the best of the bunch in my research. It may just be me, but it just looks like the most solid...the machining looks top notch, and it seems to be a good blend between the soft CP-E and the race AWR poly unit.

:)[/b]
Yeah same here for the AWR - sounds too extreme. It seems like some people rate the CP-E as softer and some the SU as softer. Apparently they are pretty equal? but no one has had both for comparison.. I am just hoping for a reply at some point of "I have the CP-E but a friend of a friend has the Street Unit and ..."

·
Registered
578 Posts
I have the CP-E mount... love it. Car hooks up better and increases the fun factor while driving.

The only thing is that my car has a rattle in the center console somewhere. I think some plastic pieces are rubbing together. I can't 100% blame the engine mount for this, but the extra vibration does tempt me to point my finger at its direction. I need to have someone drive my car while I hunt for the rattle.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After watching this somewhat closely as the votes come in.. it seems like more of the SU votes are getting the "feels no vibration" Just an FYI for everyone not hitting refresh on this every hour like me. :) I cannot say that this means anything at all.. just an observation.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have the SU mount and feel a little vibration but it is a worthwhile trade off for what it does. It really helps power delivery and overall feel of the car. The quality is top notch and it almost made me sad to install it knowing that it will never be seen.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the SU mount and feel a little vibration but it is a worthwhile trade off for what it does. It really helps power delivery and overall feel of the car. The quality is top notch and it almost made me sad to install it knowing that it will never be seen.[/b]
Well, I got mine comin now :) I can't wait!

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
Well, I got mine comin now :) I can't wait![/b]
+1

Mine shipped yesterday...I'm on the east coast so it shouldn't take long. I didn't realize SU did Google Checkout...very nice. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Not sure if it can be done, but is there a way to sort the opinion results by mount? I'm torn between the SU and the CP-E. I want to remove the slop of the stock mount, but I can't have excessive vibration on a company car that sees well over 30k miles per year.

FWIW- I bought an AWR mount for our Mazda3. My wife hated it immediately. The vibration was really unbearable for a daily driver. I ended up pulling it off and selling it only ~2 weeks after installing it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, before I got mine (SU Mount), I watched the poll about every 4 hours. The majority of the "no vibration" answers came from those with the SU mount. I am talking 3 of the 5 though... the other 2 came from CPE. I believe they are very close by looking at these results. Most people feel some vibration with either.

I love mine though. The first day I did feel vibration and it is steadily decreasing. The only vibration I feel right now is when the car is at 600-800 rpm but it is much better to drive. I say go for it man - you can't go wrong with either based on the results I have seen on the poll -both very comparible.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I just put in my CP-E mount, so I wanted to offer my initial impressions.

Regarding the installation, I didn't find it too bad. The most difficult thing for me was getting the engine side to line up to install the new part. I only had a bottle jack to move the engine around, so this probably made it more difficult than it would have been with a floor jack. I ended up having to wedge the bottle jack at a slight angle (I know, not recommended) to get the engine to move horizontally a bit in addition vertically. One other hassle was that the 19mm bolts were SUPER tight on the stock mount, so I had to get a big cheater to crack them lose.

Regarding the vibration issue, I did note that there is more vibration, especially at low idle. It's not dramatic, so even if it doesn't reduce over time as some others have observed, I'll be fine with it.

As far as driving with the new mount, I really like it. I can't say the difference is huge, but I do notice that there is less lash in the shifting, and the power delivery seems more... immediate. Over all, I feel like I have a somewhat more responsive tranny.

Finally, I took a couple pics of the two mounts side by side, in case anyone was curious about the difference. One thing the pictures don't show is the weight; after handling the CP-E mount, I couldn't help but notice that the stock mount felt lighter in my hand. Unfortunately, I already had the new mount in before I thought to weigh them both.

[attachment=20320:Mount_side_by_side.jpg] [attachment=20321:Mount_si...y_side_2.jpg]

[attachment=20322:Mount_ends.jpg]

EDIT: The mount with the blue bushings is the CP-E one.

Attachments

·
Registered
787 Posts
The stock piece is a classy part considering it's hidden, it's even got a lightening slot! I would have figured on cast aluminum or a stamping, both being cheaper. Imo, MZ specc'd the rubber too soft for the application since they didn't want vibration complaints and didn't want to spend $ for a hydraulic mount.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just put in my CP-E mount, so I wanted to offer my initial impressions.

Regarding the installation, I didn't find it too bad. The most difficult thing for me was getting the engine side to line up to install the new part. I only had a bottle jack to move the engine around, so this probably made it more difficult than it would have been with a floor jack. I ended up having to wedge the bottle jack at a slight angle (I know, not recommended) to get the engine to move horizontally a bit in addition vertically. One other hassle was that the 19mm bolts were SUPER tight on the stock mount, so I had to get a big cheater to crack them lose.[/b]
Just an FYI for anyone else that doesn't have a floor jack, I used the scissor jack in the trunk between the front frame and the engine to get it to move back enough to line up the holes and it worked great. I had my floor jack under there originally but when I removed the orginal bolt the jack just rolled forward a bit and let the motor sag. At that point the floor jack would only move the motor up and not back, so I had the idea to try the scissor jack instead.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.