Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to mount my Dell Axim X51 into the center pop up bin on my dash board. Anyone done somethign similar or have any ideas on a good way to do this? I want to put it there because its running TomTom5, and i have a bluetooth gps reciever, just looking for somewhere to put the pocket PC.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I hooked up my pocket PC to do something similar but was looking to do more of a touchscreen MP3 player out of it. I ran a wire for audio input and some other things but couldnt find an adequate mounting solution...I took the cheap route for a while and added some velcro to the piece inbetween the steering wheel and the radio. It worked well and I would un-velcro the pocket pc and store it in the map pocket...now i dont use the thing and am most likely going to undo it.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
I'm looking to mount my Dell Axim X51 into the center pop up bin on my dash board. Anyone done somethign similar or have any ideas on a good way to do this? I want to put it there because its running TomTom5, and i have a bluetooth gps reciever, just looking for somewhere to put the pocket PC.
[/b]
I thought about doing it, but you would need to cut a hole in the map pocket for the wires since the PocketPc mount vertically.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought about doing it, but you would need to cut a hole in the map pocket for the wires since the PocketPc mount vertically.
[/b]
the Axim X51 can mount in any orientation, because the windows mobile 5 screen can be displayed as either portrait or landscape, and the image can also be rotated within the TomTom 5 software itself, so i intend to mount it on its side, and i'll only need to get 1 wire into the compartment, so I'm ok with putting a small hole in it (as long as its not in the top)

I think I figured out how I'm going to mount it, I'll be looking for the parts after work today and I'llpost pics if it works out. Also, is there a way to limit the compartment from opening all the way, since i won't need it to open completely to see the screen?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Thats the first time i've heard of anyone putting a pocket pc in thier pop up bin, but if you can find a mount and a way to make it fit right and look right, then definetly post up the pics, I'd really like to see something like that in the future, might make me have thoughts of doing the same thing with my pop up bin. :) GL

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, here's what i did, and it cost all of $8 for now while i look for a better solution ....

I bought a 3" fence gate hinge for like $1 because its the only one that open to a 90* angle and stays there, a roll of super heavy duty double sticky tape, and a few small bolts and nuts. I opened the hinge so it stood at 90*, and bolted the pocket pc holder to it (it was made to go on the a/c vent, but i modified it slightly) pulled the carpet pice out from in the bin, and used the double sticky tape to hold it in place. This is working for now untili find a better solution.

The gps reciever i bought can only be powered from a car cigarette lighter, and it also came with a cord that powers the pocket pc. For now its plugged into the cigarette lighter by the ash tray, but i intend to buy a 15' cigarette lighter extension cable (best buy has one for like $8) and run it from inside the center arm rest down under everything like i did with my audio link and up into the bin on the dash board. At that time i will look for a more permenante solution for mounting the pocket pc ... picture will be up soon.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's a picture I took with my cell phone, don't have one yet with the digi-cam. The Pocket PC is still mounted using a hinge and sticky tape because i haven't gotten the mount that i posted above yet, but you get the idea ... can't see whats behind it anyway, and the cord is still hanging down by the steering wheel because i didn't run one under everything yet..

[attachmentid=15787]

It'll be atleast 2 weeks before i get around to running a power cord to the bin and get the actual mount i'm going to use, then i'll post more pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
508 Posts
Here's a picture I took with my cell phone, don't have one yet with the digi-cam. The Pocket PC is still mounted using a hinge and sticky tape because i haven't gotten the mount that i posted above yet, but you get the idea ... can't see whats behind it anyway, and the cord is still hanging down by the steering wheel because i didn't run one under everything yet..

[attachmentid=15787]

It'll be atleast 2 weeks before i get around to running a power cord to the bin and get the actual mount i'm going to use, then i'll post more pictures
[/b]

Yea, it looks kinda dark, hard to see, but from what I can see, it looks nice, but doesn't look like it fits.., very nice job though. :yesnod:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it doesn't take up the entire opening ... no, if thats what you mean by "doesn't look like it fits", otherwise, no, the bin does not close with it mounted as it currently is, but i'm going to be changing the mount when i get the parts, and it should close after that. And, that picture was taken at like midnight, in a parking deck, with a cell phone, so its not the greatest picture.

Also, my bin is all the way open in this picture. It does appear to have 2 open positions, while i'm going to try to change, but its usually down enough to there is no opening between the dell and the top cover, I'll try to get more pictures after work with an actual camera.

Anyone know if its easy to remove the bin, or even possible without taking everythign apart? Like i said, i need to get a wire into it, and i don't think i can do it without drilling a hole, i think it would be easier to drill it it was not still in the car.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well, here's a picture of it in the daylight, with the TomTom and GPS actually working (it was not working in the other picture because the GPS lost its signal in the parking deck). I'll take another picture of it at night, with TomTom running in night mode on my way home from class later. Grad School is a pain in the ass.

[attachmentid=15790]

And yes, I'm aware TomTom is pointing across the road, instead of down the road, but this is because the yellow street across the bottom of the screen is the street i live on, and i'm in the driveway, facing the street.

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
as i said in a previous post, the charging wire will be hidden soon, need to get one long enough to route it into the bin from the cigarette adapter in the center arm rest.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, night pictures

[attachmentid=15794]
Here's a slightly blurry picture, but it was the best one i could get for some reason

[attachmentid=15795]
Here's a more up close one that came out a bit better

Attachments

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I'm looking to do a similar mod with a tomtom one gps. I'm gonna try and build a mount from scratch that will pull the gps up when I open the map box and slide it down when I close it. Ill let everyone know how it goes. But first I've gotta get my gps :p

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm looking to do a similar mod with a tomtom one gps. I'm gonna try and build a mount from scratch that will pull the gps up when I open the map box and slide it down when I close it. Ill let everyone know how it goes. But first I've gotta get my gps :p
[/b]
Is there much room under the map pocket for something like that? I haven't done anythign different to my set up yet since i haven't had much time, but I've been thinking about how i could make it fold up against the top of the map pocket when i close it, and unfold when i open it again ... any thougths anyone? I think I'm gonna buy the cord i need to get power into the map pocket this weekend, and then I'll just have the mounting to deal with later.

I thought about using an arm, like this one and comming up with a way to bring it through the bin, but i don't want to make any holes in the bin's lid

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I measured the bin and it won't close with the pocket pc standing on its side, as shown in the other pictures, even with it pushed all the way to the back .... so i bought this and i should be able to mount it to either the bottom or top of the bin and my hope is it will allow me to lay the pocket pc flat when i want to close the bin. If it doesn't work like I'm hoping, it was only $10.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts