Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
May 8, 2006 - In a last minute bombshell, Kaz Hirai announced the specific date and details of the PS3 launch. The PS3 will be arranged in two separate system configurations: a 20 and a 60 gigabyte hard drive system. What's more, Japan will see the PS3 first on November 11th, at a price for 59,800 yen for the 20 gigabyte system setup. The 60 gigabyte system will be open ended and set by retailers. North America, Europe and Australasia will see the system six days later on November 17th. The price? $499 dollars or 499 Euros for the 20 gig version, and $599 dollars or 599 Euros for the 60 gig version. In Canadian dollars, that will come to approximately $549 dollars for the 20 gig and $659 dollars for the 60 gig version.

Hirai also announced that Sony will try to get a grand total of six million units shipped by March 31, 2007, which is Sony's fiscal date: 2 million PS3s will be available during the initial launch window, another 2 million will be shipped before the end of 2006, and finally another 2 before March 31st.

We'll have more details shortly.[/b]
Controller:

May 8, 2006 - Today at SCEA's E3 press conference, Ken Kutaragi came on stage near the end of the conference to deliver the final piece of the PS3 puzzle: the controller. Last E3, Sony showed off a completely different controller from the usual Dual Shock 2 rev, and was reminiscent of a Batarang.

However, it seems that Sony has listened to the criticisms of fans and its clients and have reverted back to the traditional Dual Shock design for the PS3, which will make gamers happier. In addition, the new controller will be wireless, with a USB connection in case you want to be wired. When connected, the controller can be charged automatically. The controller can be connected and disconnected at any time.

The biggest surprise was when Phil Harrison joined Ken Kutaragi on stage to show off the secret feature of the Dual Shock 3: six degrees of freedom. Using technology similar to what we've seen in past games, players can now move the controller freely in order to manipulate the action on the screen.[/b]
Going to pre-order it tomorrow...

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
i can't believe it costs soo much... i'm just going to stick with my PS2 cause it's not that outdated at all. still a very sweet system, would rather spend money on my vehicle than on an overpriced gaming system... ya know what i mean

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
This is indefensible:
PlayStation 3: What Sony Doesn't Want You to Know
Lower price means no Wi-Fi, HDMI, memory slots.
by Patrick Klepek, 05/08/2006
51 of 56 users recommend this story.
During their conference this evening, Sony mentioned they would be releasing two PlayStation 3 hardware packages this November. They emphasized the logical differences between the hard drives, but failed to mention the other features that drop if consumers pick up the $499 model over the more expensive $599 machine.

As it turns out, a little examining of Sony's announcement press release reveals the $499 model will lack support for Memory Sticks, SD and Compact Flash cards, no built-in Wi-Fi and will surprisingly have the HDMI output removed (necessary for achieving the much bragged about 1080p screen resolution).

Though overlooked at the conference, expect to hear 1UP digging up more about Sony's decision behind the feature cuts in the coming days. Stay tuned. [/b]
I can understand a smaller harddrive, but limited hardware I/O to save money? C'mon. Those are things you could probably never expand your system into. Just like the X-Box360. You should be able to buy a "base" model and upgrade it at the very least. But input slots are probably built into the front which means no upgradable, and the output slot probably isn't expandable either.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
The thing is-

With the controller staying exactly the same, the gameplay cannot evolve much over current hardware. Games on the PS2 will play exactly the same on the PS3, just with better graphics. The human input will still amount to simple button mashing and a tiny joystick- it's the same thing Sony has used since the original playstation. The only real opportunity for innovation on the PS3 is with more advanced physics processing, which makes for interesting and interactive environments, but I'm worried the games will still play like last-gen games due to the same damn human interface.

I'd rather have a Nintendo Wii with its refreshing controller and the huge unexplored potential for new, unique styles of games. And for "old" style button mashing joystick games, the X-Box 360 is roughly as capable and much less expensive as the PS3.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I thought this was interesting:

Gran Turismo HD
The game has been optimized for HD resolution and is supposed to run at THREE TIMES the detail of regular HD broadcasts and 12 times the detail of Gran Turismo Four.
Some levels that were shown at E3 included a Tokyo level and a Grand Canyon level. Some vehicles were also shown.
While the game won't release with PS3's Launch, it should release soon after. The game will be online play compatible.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
So the uplevel PS3 will also accept compact flash and SD cards as well as the Memory Stick? Interesting.

Hopefully it means Sony is moving away from that stupidity.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
So the uplevel PS3 will also accept compact flash and SD cards as well as the Memory Stick? Interesting.

Hopefully it means Sony is moving away from that stupidity.
[/b]
Don't count on it. Sony will not move away from anything that will give it what will generate more income - expecially if they hold the full patent/copyright which allows them to charge outrageous licensing fees.

Just take a look at how they (and Toshiba) have fractured the HD Disk market (with Blu-Ray and HD-DVD.)

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
why do people constantly bitch about the price of console system? i dont get it. something comparable on the PC costs thousands, and needs to be upgraded every 12-18 months, depending on what you do. its a significantly more focused platform that you wont have to upgrade for 4-6 years. you know goddamn well that the first generation of games do not hold a candle to the second generation. and once you get into the late life cycle of the console, thats when some of the very best games come out.

so long as Sony lets the consumer know about the difference between the $599/$499 package, i dont have a problem with their decision. i mean, a lot of people, like myself, could give two shits about the memory cards since i play mostly single player games. multiplayer is far superior on the PC, and i dont see it being surpassed any time soon by consoles. i dont have a widescreen hd capable super-thx 12.1 surround sound setup, so the $499 package appeals to me regardless the price.

the PS3 has all the games i want to play, so therefore i'll be getting one...eventually. Armored Core 4 baby. also, i cant wait for SOCOM on the ps3, thats gonna be sick.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Well, the big reason for me is that despite the heavy hitting hardware, a game console is a very limited purpose item. That "significantly more focused platform" is a key drawback to me. I like playing games, but fancy graphics and movie-like atmospheres don't wow me or add fun to the game, as long as the user interface is elegant and easy to use (another drawback of most modern console games).

I might pay several times more for a computer, but I can do a lot more than several times the function with it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm glad they are sticking with the current controller layout. The $600 price does seem a bit steep, but I expected it to be. So no surprises there. Anyone know what titles would be out at the time of launch? If there are some good ones, then I might consider pre-ordering. If not, then I'll wait till next year.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
why do people constantly bitch about the price of console system? i dont get it. something comparable on the PC costs thousands[/b]
Actually, I think this is the first time a PC has ever been cheaper than a console. Yes, to start from scratch would be more expensive- but who would be starting from scratch? With your PC, you're already going to have a decent processor and memory. Those are items most people already have, since they can be easily justified for home picture/video editing and such. They serve other purposes, unlike the hardware in a gaming console.

To upgrade a PC for gaming purposes, not much is needed besides a video card. For $400, I can get a physics processor and nearly the same graphics card as the PS3. That's definately sufficient. Heck, that physics processor probably won't even be necessary for years.

But, I'm leaving out the Blue-Ray drive. Does anyone really need one yet? I'm sure I'll buy one some day, but I don't need to be forced into being one of those early-adapters who gets stuck footing the bill for the new technology. It seems to me the cost of a blue-ray player is what is pushing the PS3 to a price I don't want to pay. Hopefully prices will drop quickly, because I don't want a blue-ray player or a PS3 if it's going to cost this much to adapt to the latest and greatest.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
no, actually you cant.

thinking that a Physics Processing Unit available to PCs is anything like that in the PS3 or any next gen system is retarded. PPUs are in their infancy stages right now but the consoles have significantly more advanced technology in that department. afterall, they're not trying to make a PPU card to fit in my computer, your computer, someone else's computer, with no compatibility issues.

from what i remember, the PS3 is supposed to be about 2½ times the power of a Geforce 6800 Ultra SLI setup. consider the 7800 GTX thats out on the market at the moment and we're still looking at about 2 times the power of an SLI rig. care to venture a guess to how much a SINGLE card costs? well north of $400 buddy.

and fyi, a $500/600 Dell rig will get you anything but a decent processor and memory. celeron anyone? :\

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
You overestimate the PS3's graphics card- it sure as hell won't be two times the power of a 7800gtx SLI. It'll be roughly equal to one solo $288 7900GT. Look at its memory bandwidth. The X-Box360 is much more impressive in this regard.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The thing is-

With the controller staying exactly the same, the gameplay cannot evolve much over current hardware. Games on the PS2 will play exactly the same on the PS3, just with better graphics. The human input will still amount to simple button mashing and a tiny joystick- it's the same thing Sony has used since the original playstation. The only real opportunity for innovation on the PS3 is with more advanced physics processing, which makes for interesting and interactive environments, but I'm worried the games will still play like last-gen games due to the same damn human interface.

I'd rather have a Nintendo Wii with its refreshing controller and the huge unexplored potential for new, unique styles of games. And for "old" style button mashing joystick games, the X-Box 360 is roughly as capable and much less expensive as the PS3.
[/b]
Yea, the HDMI stuff is weird to me, but the controller is NOT STAYING THE SAME.

The new PS3 controller will LOOK the same as the PS2 Dual-Shock, but it will feature motion sensoring capabilities kinda like the Wii controller.

...but the main form for the "casuals" to get an easier hand on PS3 is the new "six axis of movement" control technology put into PS3. There are six axis of movement (described as "six degrees of movement" at the Sony pre-E3 conference). It understands roll, pitch and yaw, and "3-dimension acceleration information". You can move it around like a steering wheel, or like a Sit & Spin, or like you're shaking an Etch-A-Sketch, and you can even pull it up and down like you're ringing a bell. All of this is accomplished without additional motion sensing, unlike the Wii. Of course, the PS3 controller also won't be capable of as much versatility of motion of Nintendo's new console controller -- it has a wide range of movement, but not as open a sense of movement.
[/b]
Also, people underestimate the market place: $600 for a gaming machine, HDTV/Blu-Ray player, AND Linux OS? C'mon now. I know a ton of us on here that have spent $300-400 on an iPod that has one basic function: playing music.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Yea, the HDMI stuff is weird to me, but the controller is NOT STAYING THE SAME.
[/b]
Yeah, I just read that! Ha, I didn't realize it. It's losing its vibration, but that makes sense given the motion detection. I partially take back what I said about it being the same old thing but prettier, and I'm glad its controller is evolving.

But I'd still rather the Nintendo Wii. Each controller only requires one hand, and the sensors are more numerous and comprehensive. Still, this is a definate edge over the X-Box.

I was given this image:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Heh.

If you don't evolve and you stay the same - people bitch. They bitch about the company not being competitive.

When they are competitive, then they are called thieves.

When the competitive is trying to do something weird out of the ordinary - Boomerang - people continue to bitch.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
About this Discussion
54 Replies
24 Participants
ZoomZoom Diva
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing