Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I saw another video game related topic a bit down here... thought I'd place my own. Hope it's not a duplicate.

Anyway, I have heard about the argument that the PS3 will be too expensive and not do well at market. I'm curious... how many agree...?

I for one don't.... a blue ray player right now is about $1200 or something. I figure $600 for a PS3 would be reasonable. But what do I know... opinions?

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts
I think this has been talked about before, but I'll bite.

First off, to base your purchase off of a Blu-Ray DVD player being included is crazy. For one, Blur-Ray may not even be the accepted format by the DVDForum. Secondly, I think because of the high price point, people may start to look elsewhere -- such as the Wii.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, the Wii is very cheapish.

But you're right about the Blueray. Although, it would seem at this point Blueray will win the war. I think the PS3 may be on it's way to an exclusive club type of arrangment. Where only hardcore gamers will buy it (or be able to buy it), and the little kids wanting one will go without because mom and dad can't afford it anymore. Which is unfortunate.

On the other hand many gamers would not think twice about purchasing the latest video card for their computer at multipal hundreds of dollars. The PS3 will be backward compatable to PS2 and PS as far as I know... I dunno I say why not....

Oh ya... and Gran Tourismo!

·
Registered
683 Posts
Not for $6-$700 and Bluray is not a positive point for me, sony burned lots of bridges with the Root kit crap they pulled, and the DRM on the bluray players is just way too restrictive to me.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yep, I'll be getting one.

I'm a gamer, I thoroughly enjoy my ps2 and like the backwards compatibility it gave me originally, so I'll like the ps3 being backwards compatible to the ps2.

It has twice the theoretical power of an X-box 360. Unfortunately, its on a much more complex processer setup, so developers will have to work much, much harder to make a game, but the games they can make have the potential to blow x-box 360 out of the water. This alone would have the PS3 starting price be around $400 in my personal opinion.

Then you add in the Blue-Ray. Sony owns MGM Pictures, and their library. This means that if you want any movie in this library, you will most likely have to get it as Blue-Ray, or pay a bloody fortune for HD-DVD, and unfortunately they seem to be of equal quality right now. That means, if they are about the same quality, but one is more expensive... well, that decision is made for me. Toshiba actually came to Sony about 6 months back and offered to compromise, pool resources, and make one standardized HD disk, but was told by Sony that the PS3 was almost done and they weren't interested. This makes me think that even Toshiba doesn't think they can win this one. They have a whole lot of other companies behind them (basically everybody but Sony), but I still think Sony's library of movies to offer is really going to tip the game for the average consumer. I hate to see another beta vs. VHS, Zip disks vs. CD-Rs, etc., but it looks like we're in for one, and I'm going to pick one to throw my hat in with.

I loved my PSX, I love my PS2, and I expect to love a PS3. $600, while no where near the same ball park as cheap, is in my opinion doable.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I had a PS1 and many games.
I have a PS2 and many DVD's.
I agree that Blu-Ray seems to be better than HD-DVD but Beta was better than VHS.

Unless they have some butt kicking games [Not just the same old, same old] and I can see that Blu-Ray will be the format for all, I'll wait.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Damn fucking straight I am.

MGS4, FFXIII (V1 + V2), DMC4, Warhawk!, Assassin's Creed, Formula 1 06, Genji 2, Interstellar Marines, Dark Sector, Killzone PS3, Resident Evil 5, Silent Hill 5, Tekken 6, and Ridge Racer 7.

And that's just the beginning.

I paid $300 for an iPod that just does one thing for me: Play music. With the PS3? The possibilities are endless. Literally.

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
I am actually planning on getting 5.

Then selling them on eBay right before Christmas for a 9,453,985% profit.

And maybe keeping one, but then sell just the box and make a cool grand off of it. :cool:
[/b]
Same here. :D

·
Registered
420 Posts
I just got my X-Box, i can buy any game for less than 20bucks, and I only paid $97 dollars for the system. I would love to have the new 360 or PS3 but you know the consol is going to be $400+ and the first wave of games are going to be $75+ for the first year and then steadily drop. so I will sit back and enjoy my original X-Box untill the time comes that it craps out and then I will buy one for 100bucks with 50 games for 10 dollars each. I remeber when a nintendo game was over 50 bucks, countless hours of my life have been devoted to sitting in front of a tv with band-aids on my thumbs trying to smash the right combination of buttons to finsh the level of whatever game I was playing, I must say the games have come along way and are more fun to play, but that whole adult thing really gets in the way of playing video games all day. So to get back to the point, any price that sony decides to realease their PS3 at, it will sell tons of them. If I had the spare money I would do it too, but first I have to pay off this 6.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'll get one but not until the mod chip for it is out though :p

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Yep...I'll get one..................................................

when the Price gets around $200 - $250!! ahahaha...and by that time.......I will be ready for a PS4??.....(or SOMETHING BETTER) :D

Hell....I just wanna play Final Fantasy 7!!....damn......I CANT WAIT!!! :drool:

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I really do not understand why you need a disc that can hold 40GB worth of data... standard DVDs now are 4.7, and most games use up half that or less. Halo and halo 2 were around 3, PGR2 LOADED with music, hours upon hours only came to around 4... Morrowind with tons of junk in it was a measly 800megs...

Yeah so they can put uncompresse video on it maybe... but whats the point of that when you cant tell the difference between that and slighly compressed and much smaller even on hd tvs and projectors...

Most game developers will not have the resources nor the time to fill it... plus if at any time they should find the need to... they can always do dual dvds or dual layer. Metal gear solid comes to mind, though i hated the overly long and boring cutscenes they filled that game with. Also, utilizing a hard drive they can decompress various data onto it and allow to not only load faster, but keep games cheap.

Anyway, i am waiting for the PS3 only because the xbox will drop in price again at that point... but because gran turismo 4 was such a huge dissapointment, the fact that they simply copied countless car chassies onto other cars just to have a shit load of them in the game, and that the greatest racing game came around (Forza Motorsport) came around and returned my faith to good racing games, i think ill stick with the 360. And yes, halo 3 perhaps as well.

And if the PS3 is for blueray only... then there will be MUCH cheaper variants soon to come jus tlike with any other technology.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts