Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 M6 Sport, 9K miles.

I hit some object which was covered by snow on the highway (no idea what it was, totally blended in with white road) and did some serious damage to a plastic cover which covers the passenger side of the car. See attached images.

Any ideas if I can get this covered under warranty? Does anyone know a part number or how to find a replacement even?

Attachments

·
Registered
492 Posts
I don’t have most of the plastics on the underside of my engine any longer. I haven’t look into replacing them because I bet the prices for them are $$$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
Same thing happened to the M6 Touring we have, road debris took out the same panel, part is a reasonable 100ish? Had the dealer replace it so labor......

Edit: Forgot to address the crux of question, no, warranty will NOT cover since it's not a manufacturing defect.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Bummer that happened. I can relate. We got a snowstorm here this week. I would first get a quote from the dealer. If it's cheap enough, pay for it out of pocket. If it's more than your deductible it might be worth making a claim with your insurance. Like others have said, it's not something that works be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like it is maybe part number GHP9563D0C? About $50 online thankfully. I will get a dealer quote to see how much they want to replace it or just to get the part from them, looks like it is just held in with plastic clips so I could probably figure out how to replace it if I wanted.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Same thing happened to the M6 Touring we have, road debris took out the same panel, part is a reasonable 100ish? Had the dealer replace it so labor......

Edit: Forgot to address the crux of question, no, warranty will NOT cover since it's not a manufacturing defect.
Yes, this is not covered by warranty but is covered under your insurance company. Try to check the price of the item against the participation fee for your insurance then choose whichever is lower.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Caution: Filing that as a claim on insurance may cause you to be uprated (that is, pay more when you renew!) Further it's unlikely to cost more than the deductible, which is a double-screw -- you can get uprated even if they don't pay out any money!

I doubt it's expensive enough to claim and I'd change it myself; they're not very hard to get off and on.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Caution: Filing that as a claim on insurance may cause you to be uprated (that is, pay more when you renew!) Further it's unlikely to cost more than the deductible, which is a double-screw -- you can get uprated even if they don't pay out any money!

I doubt it's expensive enough to claim and I'd change it myself; they're not very hard to get off and on.
I didn't​ know your insurance works that way. I already made a claim on my insurance and still, I will have to pay a lower value upon renewal this December.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I wouldn't claim something that minor. Just remove it & replace it yourself.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I didn't​ know your insurance works that way. I already made a claim on my insurance and still, I will have to pay a lower value upon renewal this December.
In the US there is a thing called "CLUE" (it's a database) that catalogs all insurance-related or known losses -- whether paid out (e.g. under deductible limits) or not. While there's no guarantee that an entry in that database will cause you to be uprated it most-certainly can; every insurance company is different in exactly how they "score" risk and underwrite it.

You're entitled to a copy of what's in there -- if you know it's there and that you can obtain a copy of it. Close to 20 years ago an extraordinarily severe thunderstorm at my home of the time did a couple hundred bucks of damage to my roof; a couple of square of shingles had to be replaced. No water intrusion and no structural damage. The insurance company found out about it even though they never paid anything since it was under the deductible and that stuck in CLUE for 7 years...... and likely had an impact on insurance pricing across everything I had covered until it aged off.

BTW your credit score also factors into insurance pricing in the US.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I hit something in the road that did the same thing to my 2014 Sport. It looked like I would have to take off the panel in front of the damaged panel, in addition to the damaged panel, as there was an overlap. Hard to do on a garage floor, even with the car up on ramps.

I measured the damaged area, found a plastic cement mix pan at Lowes for about $5, cut it to size, and installed it with plastic auto clips from Lowes. Worked great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
8 Participants
ford1953jimma
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing