Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I did the wheels on my Soul Red 6 with the black Plasti Dip, It has been 9-10 months since I did it, all through a New York Winter... They still look great I did 4 coats inside and out to get a nice consistent look, it took about 6-7 hours to do but very worth it. Minimal prep work.
I have been thinking about doing the roof, red car with a black roof. Not sure how it will effect the paint.... if I do decide to remove it

FYI I hear that black magic tire shine liquefies plasti dip so I would suggest to stay away from it... unless you are using it to help removal of overspray or something

·
Registered
12 Posts
I did my wheels last year and I liked it but they were impossible to keep clean. I ended up taking it off after I got a few chips in it. If you do it make sure to use a clear coat. I totally should have lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
16,782 Posts
@DisplacedMainah dipped his entire car, and someone recently sideswiped him pretty bad. Big dents, lots of scarping, but the dip held on just fine. Barely any marks on it and it didn't rip or tear anywhere. Held on way better than paint would have.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Yea, the car came out great. The full dip is really nice, ive been hit a TON so i opted to do this over letting my paint take the hits. The most recent slam was REAL bad, but the dip bended and didnt peel. You can fix imperfections in the spraying with some naptha and a preval sprayer.

·
Super Moderator
16,782 Posts
While I wouldn't do this on my own, I can appreciate some excellent work here. Good job sir, I'm impressed with the quality of work for sure.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My wheel plasti dip project: Touring Wheels in Bronze

I am no expert, but in my research I found that conventional clear coat is not a good idea on plasti dip, as it can become brittle and harder to remove. If done correctly and in sufficient quantity, it is very easy to peel off.

They do have "glossifier" products to increase shine; their "metalizer" products add gloss as well as metallic flake. I did my wheels in black base coat and copper metalizer.

A fun and easy project, and easily reversible. The forum on dipyourcar.com is a great resource, as are their numerous videos on youtube.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts