Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, today I officially "joined the club" and picked my new Mazda 6 GT i-4; a lot of excitement and fun so far.

However, I was wondering about some light smell of "plastic burn" when I drove it today in the city here in Toronto. It was not strong, it felt like it came from under the hood. When on the highway, it didn't smell.

I opened the hood, and there was indeed the light smell, but nothing that seemed wrong visually, or in the driving.

My question, before going back to the dealer and sounding stupid:
Is this one of those "new car smell" that will go away? Did anyone encounter similar smell when they bought their Mazda 6?

Thanks for your feedback

·
Registered
89 Posts
well new car smell kinda does smell like scented plastic, though not burning. check your pipes, only thing i can think of is o2 sensor or something of the like is stuck and touching any part of the exhaust.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well new car smell kinda does smell like scented plastic, though not burning. check your pipes, only thing i can think of is o2 sensor or something of the like is stuck and touching any part of the exhaust.
Thanks for the feedback. I will check.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For those interested, here is the formal answer I got from Mazda:

« For the first 1000 kms, there will be a burning smell coming from underneath the hood, but if you find the smell is not wearing off after the first 1000 km, please do bring your vehicle for our service department to check. »

If the issue remains after 1000km, I will post an update, otherwise, it means that everything's fine.

Cheers

·
Registered
53 Posts
if it does happen in the future check the underside of your car i had a friend have a plactic grocery bag get cought under his car and when his exhaust heated it melted and smelled really bad

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did a search and this post sound the most like the smell I am smelling too. My std tranny 4 cyl 2011 has about 40,000 miles. Since new, once in a while, not after any particular type of driving, I will smell a putrid plastic-burning type of smell coming from under the hood when I get out of the car. It just did it the other day. Its only once in a while. Its not very strong but its a nasty smell. My best guess is that an electrical wire or connector is overheated and melting its plastic housing. Or maybe not.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well this is interesting... when we got home from the dealership with my brand new car the 1st thing my wife said stepping out of the car was 'it smells like it's burning'. I could swear their was smoke coming out from under the hood. Opened it up, looked around, didn't find anything, chalked it up to excess grease or something from the manufacture/shipping process. The smoke was like a one-time thing, and the burning smell went away after a couple of drives. I just passed the 1,000 km mark - the car does still 'smell hot' after a drive - but not burning. Do they pack certain parts in grease for the trip across the ocean or something? I believe they used to do that with military vehicles (maybe still do?) but I don't think these new cars come across strapped to an open deck! (do they??)

·
Registered
465 Posts
This is true

For those interested, here is the formal answer I got from Mazda:

« For the first 1000 kms, there will be a burning smell coming from underneath the hood, but if you find the smell is not wearing off after the first 1000 km, please do bring your vehicle for our service department to check. »

If the issue remains after 1000km, I will post an update, otherwise, it means that everything's fine.

Cheers
This is true, bought 2 new Mazda,s both had had this smell for a little while and it went away.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I noticed this while test driving a Mazda 3 - smelled like anti-freeze to me. Then after taking deliver of my 6 which had about 120 Miles, I smelled something similar but not as strong after getting to work for the first time (about a 50 min / mile drive). I've not noticed it since.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts