Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well, that’s dissapointing to hear. Does it ride nicer than the 2016? Maybe corner more directly around mild bends? Mazda just works on softening the suspension with each generation of the 6, and while they do a pretty good job of maintaining a sporty feel you can definitely feel the added body roll when pushing the car harder.

The car does ride nicer..especially over bumps.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am happy with my purchase and recently traded in my 2016 Mazda 6 GT for a 2018 Mazda 6 GT Reserve. So much nicer to drive and the Turbo was worth the trade in.. and everyone has a accord.

If you wouldn’t mind answering ... how did they do with the trade in value on the ‘16?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you wouldn’t mind answering ... how did they do with the trade in value on the ‘16?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was offered $17,000 ( payoff was much less ) for my 2016 Grand Touring without the tech package.. I had about 45,000 miles on the car and traded the car back at the same dealer I originally bough the car from 2 years ago.

·
Registered
168 Posts
In reference to ride quality, I just traded a 2013 Ford Taurus for a 2018 Mazda6 GTR and I actually think the Mazda rides better. Granted I'm comparing it to a 5 year old car with 135k on it, but the Taurus also had new Michelin tires and new shocks and struts when I traded.

The Mazda is obviously more fun to drive since it weighs almost 1000 lbs less than the Taurus, but a shame it barely gets better MPG than the Taurus did with it's 3.5 L V6.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Here's a quote from an article I was reading tonight. Was about cars that were most likely to go 250k miles with just regular maintenance. This comparison was against the Camry...

"Imagine the reliability of a Camry we already mentioned, only in form of a car that will make you grin every time you press the gas pedal. That is a good way to describe the Mazda 6. It’s a luxury sedan that offers formidable performance combined with reliability. That’s something we rarely see these days".

·
Registered
168 Posts
Proof? I bet it's a significant difference if you don't drive the 6 hard.

Upon normal driving I would average about 27 MPG on the highway in my Taurus, with the Mazda I would get about 31 to 32. If I babied the Taurus I could also get 31 MPG, if I babied the Mazda I could squeeze out almost 34. So yea, it's about 10% better fuel economy, but I would think losing 1000 lbs and 2 cylinders the difference would be more drastic.

For comparison, the EPA rating on the Taurus is 29 MPG HWY and the Mazda is 31 MPG HWY ,

Mixed driving I'd get about 23 on the Taurus and 27 in the Mazda.

·
Administrator
8,397 Posts
Going from a 2010 V6 Mazda6 to my 2018 GTR (about a 600-lb difference) , I've found the difference in fuel economy to be little at first, but it's slowly improving over time. I've had to transition my driving style from a naturally aspirated V6 to a Turbo-4, since both engines put out power in vastly different styles, and combined with differently-calibrated transmissions...

After 5100 miles, I can't say I am any slower than with my '10, but I have adjusted to the way the GTR accelerates, and between that, and the fact the engine is more "broken in", my fuel economy has increased about 2-4 MPG per tank compared to when I first bought it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Going from a 2010 V6 Mazda6 to my 2018 GTR (about a 600-lb difference) , I've found the difference in fuel economy to be little at first, but it's slowly improving over time. I've had to transition my driving style from a naturally aspirated V6 to a Turbo-4, since both engines put out power in vastly different styles, and combined with differently-calibrated transmissions...

After 5100 miles, I can't say I am any slower than with my '10, but I have adjusted to the way the GTR accelerates, and between that, and the fact the engine is more "broken in", my fuel economy has increased about 2-4 MPG per tank compared to when I first bought it.

How do you like the OEM Falkens? More than likely I am gonna sell them and either get BF Goodrich Comp 2 A/S or Bridgestone Potenza RE980 A/S.. The winters here in Michigan suck & always go with a diffrent sent. My last car 2016 GT w/o Tech...I immediately sold the OEM Dunlops and bought the BF Goodrich Comp 2 a/s put over 30,000 miles on the tires and still a lot of tread left.

·
Administrator
8,397 Posts
How do you like the OEM Falkens?
For what they are (OEM tires for a mid-size sedan), they're OK. They aren't performance tires by any means, but I don't feel the need to get rid of them and sell them ASAP either.

I'll probably use them through next summer, then upgrade. I have a dedicated set of winter wheels/tires for use in the horrendous CNY winters (and it should be a misdemeanor if you don't have winter tires here, but I digress...), so they'll see little if any snow.

In terms of OEM tires, they're better than the pathetic Michelins that Mazda cursed the first two gens with...

·
Registered
168 Posts
How do you like the OEM Falkens? More than likely I am gonna sell them and either get BF Goodrich Comp 2 A/S or Bridgestone Potenza RE980 A/S.. The winters here in Michigan suck & always go with a diffrent sent. My last car 2016 GT w/o Tech...I immediately sold the OEM Dunlops and bought the BF Goodrich Comp 2 a/s put over 30,000 miles on the tires and still a lot of tread left.
I haven't had any complaints with the oem Falken tires yet other than they seem a bit more prone to hydroplaning than the Michelin tires I had on my previous car.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The last time I compared Accord to Mazda was in 2011, and you can guess what I bought. At that time the Accord felt flimsier. The doors had less heft, the finishes weren't as classy looking. And the Mazda drove better. More spirit and pep. I liked the aggressive styling better. Hondas feel like Toyotas to me - reliable but so common, and kind of boring. The newer Hondas have better styling than in the past, but I really love the styling of the Mazda. I have a 2017, and it feels so luxurious. The seats are plush and inviting, the trim and finishes are attractive and well made. I agree that there is less headroom in the backseat of the Mazda but I put my 5 foot 10 kid back there and he has a couple inches of room above his melon. So it's enough for most people, unless you drive around with a lot of Abraham Lincoln-esque tall friends.

I'd say decide which features you want, drive both cars equipped exactly the way you want them, and go with your gut. And of course your budget. You might have a hard time finding exactly what you want in stock, and that might sway your decision as well. The pickin's were slim when I went shopping and I had to drive 150 miles from home to get the exact car I wanted. But it was worth it.

Please post photos of your new Mazda in December! Also I would recommend that you do all your bargaining with the online sales department. You will get a better price. Let me know if you need any tips on online buying, it's something I am really good at. Good luck!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Any advice at all is much appreciated.. looking at sport mazda in Orlando.. no dealer fee.. guarantee to beat any dealership

·
Registered
9 Posts
Any advice at all is much appreciated.. looking at sport mazda in Orlando.. no dealer fee.. guarantee to beat any dealership
Just purchased a 2018 Touring in Brandon, FL.
Snowflake White Pearl, Auto rear view mirror, and tint. Traded 04 Pilot and got it for 23500.00 out the door.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Great looking car! I can't wait to see one in my driveway soon.. sounds stupid but I've never felt like this about a car before.. feels like cheating on my wife!!

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
About this Discussion
35 Replies
15 Participants
pbalda1
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing