Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the new tires put on last night. Initial impression was that they had great traction while cornering, but will get a chance to really put them to use today. I will write up then what I think about them. Although they're an expensive tire, I have a friend who works for Discount Tire that got me them at a reduced price. One of the biggest reasons for getting them was that I haven't heard of anyone here with them on (the Mazdaspeed6), and figured I might as well take a dive and get them as to see what they were like. At the reduced price, I couldn't say no.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
If your stock tires weren't worn out yet, why did you replace them? The tires you got shouldn't be any better than the Potenza RE050s.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I just got the new tires put on last night. Initial impression was that they had great traction while cornering, but will get a chance to really put them to use today. I will write up then what I think about them. Although they're an expensive tire, I have a friend who works for Discount Tire that got me them at a reduced price. One of the biggest reasons for getting them was that I haven't heard of anyone here with them on (the Mazdaspeed6), and figured I might as well take a dive and get them as to see what they were like. At the reduced price, I couldn't say no.[/b]
A word to the wise-
Let the tires break in for about 5oo miles or so before really charging on them. The tread still probably has residue of mold-release on it that keeps the tire from sticking and tearing while in the molding process. The residue will eventually wear off but in the meantime you won't have as much true grip from the tires. The extra time also helps ensure a long lasting seal with the rim as the tire goes through heating/cooling cycles from driving.
Obviously, you will do want you want, but after shelling out that much money on some new tires, you want to treat them right.
I got this info from Tire Rack's website last week after purchasing new Avon Tech M550's for my Mazda 6S (couldn't afford the Pirellis or 18" rims for that amtter so went with an all-season upgrade with the stock 17" rim.

·
Registered
22 Posts
definately 183 on tirerack and they were on sale for $125 not too long ago

i stand corrected tho since i correct myself. they are the same price as the 050A's on edgeracing[/b]
I got the Pirelli Rossos for my Mazda3 (225/45/17) for the same price that Kumho SPT's would have cost; the shop was out of stock on the Kumho's and just got a huge shipment of Pirelli's, so the guy offered them to me for $88 each balanced and mounted. It was an offer I couldn't refuse. :D

They are definitely louder than the stock Goodyear's, and louder than what I would have expected from the SPT's, but it's not often that you get offered a max performance tire for this price. I've also read that treadwear is horrible on these tires, and that people are lucky to get even 20,000 on them, though this is from the Porsche and VW Toureg and other heavier vehicle owners that the Rosso's come as OEM on.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, I really didn't know that you had to break tires in for 500 miles. I had always heard 100. I guess I'll keep waiting then to break them in.

Continued impressions (through traffic and DD, not pushing the car by any means) were that they gripped well and were somewhat quiet. That being said, what tires don't behave like this at low speeds?

My old tires were bald. Completely bald. And with the flat on one, it made sense to replace them all.

As for prices, I heard they retailed at $201 a pop. Like I said though, I got them for cheaper. Cheap enough that it actually made sense to get them. Personally, I just wasn't fond enough of the stock Potenzas to cash the money for more.

And keep in mind, Pirelli makes two types of PZero Rossos.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Are you talking about the user ranking data? I think the main thing that brings the Rossos down is the horrible treadwear for the price. They are rated nicely in traction and comfort compared to other max performance tires.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
On the tire rack, the Rossos are ranked way below the RE050s, and way below even the Neros.[/b]
If you are talking about the user rankings, those are completely, absolutely, and hilariously worthless. They are like the call-in polls on the talk radio stations where the people who call in are not a representative sample, but are only people with an ax to grind. There are no restrictions on multiple voting -- "stuffing the ballot box" -- in the tire Rack polls, and the 16 year-old who is comparing a tire he is "rating" with the baldies that were on the car when he bought it from his homie gets the same "vote" as the retired F1 driver who has tried all of the world's great tires on the track.

(Tire Rack's own comparison rests under controlled conditions are useful. however.)

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
If you are talking about the user rankings, those are completely, absolutely, and hilariously worthless. They are like the call-in polls on the talk radio stations where the people who call in are not a representative sample, but are only people with an ax to grind. There are no restrictions on multiple voting -- "stuffing the ballot box" -- in the tire Rack polls, and the 16 year-old who is comparing a tire he is "rating" with the baldies that were on the car when he bought it from his homie gets the same "vote" as the retired F1 driver who has tried all of the world's great tires on the track.

(Tire Rack's own comparison rests under controlled conditions are useful. however.)[/b]
At least my comment is based on some evidence. What are your comments based on?

And if you know anything about statistics, with a sample size large enough, it all averages out in the end.

·
Registered
22 Posts
(Tire Rack's own comparison rests under controlled conditions are useful. however.)[/b]
I've actually started to wonder about Tire Rack's comparison tests. Oftentimes, the tires they compare score within a fraction of each other on a 10 point scale, sometimes even closer. Take the tests currently on there for the PZero Rossos; the overall scores for each of the tires in each comparison are within about 0.1 of each other. They never indicate any clear winner, and I doubt that they ever will, since I don't think the manufacturers will allow them to bag on the very tires that they are selling.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.