Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i was just wondering everyones thoughts on this subwoofer. Pioneer premier TS-SW1241D
I have a buddy that can get me them for about $120 per sub for 12 inch ones. he works at my local audio store. you know the good ones. not like BB OR CC. what i was wondering is if you think that these would fit under my seat in my 2005 mazda 6. i have power seats on the driver side and was wondering if they would fit with the spec'd box that they want. its like .8 cu ft or something like that. sq ft maybe? i dont recall. i want to put one under each seat, and just put the amps in the trunk. i know people are going to say that there is a better way to get sound and what not, i know this, but i wanted to do something different.
here is the site, so you guys can help me.

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/Pr...ProductID=16658

thanks for your help. also if this cant be done, then i will be going towards the alpine type x, just get one of these in my trunk, and thats it. but i want to try the Pioneer way first. thanks for the help. i know you all will look at me like im crazy, but its something i wanted to do. i dont like that fact that the trunk distorts the sound. i know with the 5 door it would have been alot easier since there isnt anything that blocked the subs. thanks all.
later

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
what i was wondering is if you think that these would fit under my seat in my 2005 mazda 6. i have power seats on the driver side and was wondering if they would fit with the spec'd box that they want. its like .8 cu ft or something like that. sq ft maybe?
[/b]
i would say not-even-close. okay, so you need a box that will fit a 12" sub that needs a 0.5 - 1 cubic foot enclosure? do the math, the exterior dimenions of the box would not allow for the box to come close to fitting under the seats.

look at the dimensions fo the sub, 12"x3.25", then add the thickness of the enclosure material, let's say for math's sake lets say 1" MDF, your enlosure would have to be at least 5-6" deep and 13-14" square to accomodate the sub and provide some interior room- not accounting for the right size for the desired frequency response. even if you were to have a custom form built from fiberglass using all the little nooks under the seat i cannot see it fitting.

he works at my local audio store. you know the good ones. not like BB OR CC.
[/b]
oh, so he works at the kind of shop that will tell you anything for a sale? not knocking your buddy but you shouldn't even need to be asking about fitting this sub under the seat, your friend should have been able to explain that no sub would fit that space. curse those big boxes for dealing in reality! curse them all!

if you're looking to add a sub that doesn't take up space have a custom form made from fiberglass to fit one of the cut-outs in the trunk. there are several posts from other memebers who have done the same. the only reason to buy from a custom shop like that is to have custom work done. have your buddy price out a fiberglass box for the trunk cut-out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, i can take a shoot down. =) i guess i didnt think that through, i just pictured it in my head i thought it would work. but i guess not. he did tell me that he had a better idea for me, and offered those type x's and a custom made box, but i wanted to see if it can be done, but he said i would have to bring the car in to check. so i think i will look into the type x's, or something similar. he is a good guy not sales man type. he is willing ot help with what i want, but i have to kind of know what i want, and sometimes they default to the expensive stuff you know?
i have looked at the type x's and from the looks of it, i dont think i can fit those in the trunk cut outs. i was hoping to make a box fix all the way the length of the trunk under the bose "sub" area, and not come out any further than that. so i still have some trunk space.
hmm??

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i would definitely take your car into the shop and speak with the installers. sales guys know about selling, but the installers know what works.

you've got a lot of options. i'd recommend exploring several different courses of action before you buy. your options start to decrease once you buy equipment. shop twice & buy once.

stick around for a while. this place has no shortage of opinions. good luck. keep us up to date.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes i do plan to shop around, though i have some ideas, but i will talk to the installers once i get home in like 6 days. the first thing i do. im not really brand loyal. i am willing to try new things, but i dont want to buy brands just for the brands. i want good clean bass, and i really dont want to have it sound shitty, and im willing to spend some decent money on a quality system. (saving money from OIF III) haha
so any ideas are appreciated. i want one good quality 12 inch, without taking all my trunk space but i want to build the box close to spec's so i can get the best out of it. amp suggestions are welcome too. i hope to get this on the way in about a week or so.

thanks for the input mk706

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hello, well i just got an email from my buddy and he wanted me to ask all of you what you all thought of these.
www.earthquakesound.com/SWS04.htm
i see that these are the same. they look the same anyways.
i little more spendy, but i told him this already, but he just wanted regular ppl input on them.

·
Registered
112 Posts
i deal with those subs there crap the pioneers that is a flat sub is ment for small boxs but that dam subs got a huge went on the back and u need space b-hind it so sux for tight spaces if you want a good flat sub try kaption i use them all the time and there great

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
cant u use them as free air sub (infinite baffle?)

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
i deal with those subs there crap the pioneers that is a flat sub is ment for small boxs but that dam subs got a huge went on the back and u need space b-hind it so sux for tight spaces if you want a good flat sub try kaption i use them all the time and there great
[/b]
Can you possibly learn to speak english, or maybe use some punctuation?

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Can you possibly learn to speak english, or maybe use some punctuation?
[/b]
Agreed, I can't even understand what he said...

·
Registered
822 Posts
Why don't u look into Alumapro subs don't need a lot of air space look bad ass with the aluminum cone and great for SQ. You can get them cheap at www.woofersetc.com and don't knock CC there are a lot of great locations with superb installers ( like the one I work at ;) ) but yes there are some shitty ones just had to put my .02 in

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
[/b]
Let me re-phrase for him

I've dealt with those subs, they're crap.

The pioneers that is a flat(?) sub is meant for small boxes, but the damn subs got a huge vent at the back(?), and you need space behind. It's sucks for tight space.

If you want a good "flat"(?) sub, try Kaption, I use them all the time, and they're great...

How's that?? good enough for u??? :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
7 Participants
t_mo_t
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing