Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Mazda 6 2.3i GT, Konig Control 18x8 +40, Nitto Neo Gen 225/40ZR18
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my 6 but the one thing its lacking is Apple car-play, I thought maybe a flip-up-screen stereo would be the best option since the OEM stereo is a single din. A few minutes of research later, I found the Pioneer AVH-3500NEX is the best option, but im not sure it will fit into my head unit as the OEM design is very unique.
Has anyone tried this before? Will it even fit? If it doesn't fit, does anybody have any other suggestions for Car Play in there 6?
carstereos-applecarplayandroidauto-Pioneer-lowres-3733.jpeg

·
Rally Racer
3,367 Posts
If you have a single DIN then it mus be aftermarket. To my understanding all the Mazda 6's came with an integrated head unit.
That thing looks uniquely fragile.
Perhaps a Metra kit and double DIN.
Or even a stock HU with a Bluetooth adapter and use your Apple phone on a nice mount.

Let us know how it works for you if you choose it.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2006 Mazda 6 2.3i GT, Konig Control 18x8 +40, Nitto Neo Gen 225/40ZR18
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So after more digging, I came up with 3 options.

1. Double Din Stereo Conversion
-Buy the Double Din conversion kit for the Interior Facia ($250 for a piece of plastic, are you kidding me???)
-Use my old Sony XAV-AX100 double din touch screen stereo with Car Play that I had in my previous car
-Pros: I already have the stereo that I would use so I don't have to buy a new one
-Cons: That new Facia plate is so expensive! Also not sure about the fitment, but the Facia Plate looks fairly universal so it should be fine.
4969cd75-b115-468a-a735-793b2fa39dff_1.f9e45509eab33b4606be3b396f95fe38.jpeg
IMG_6104.jpeg

2. Single Din with Spacer and Pioneer Flip Up Stereo
-Buy the Double Din conversion kit for the Interior Facia
-Add the spacer that converts it from Double Din to Single Din
-Buy the Pioneer AVH-3500NEX
-Pros: I absolutely LOVE the flip up stereos!
-Cons: New Facia Pate + New Stereo = EXPENSIVE
61RSp63YRaL._AC_SS450_.jpg

3. Single Din Top Console Replacement
-Buy Single Din top console kit
-Buy Pioneer AVH-3500NEX
-Pros: Cheapest option (Replacement Facia is only $35)
-Cons: The combination of the top console single din and the flip up stereo looks kinda strange. Also not sure how compatibility will be with having an aftermarket stereo AND the OEM one in the same car (I might just have to disable the OEM one)
Screen Shot 2021-05-02 at 12.21.37 PM.png
HTB1CKKDx41YBuNjy1zcq6zNcXXaS.jpeg

What do you guys think? I'll update when I come up with a final decision.

·
Registered
2006 Mazdaspeed6
73 Posts
Jump on AliExpress, DH Gate, or even (Amazon has a few) and search “Mazda 6 multimedia” there are a bunch of tablet based options available that will ultimately provide you car play and a host of other options. Not sure what they have as far as line out options for adding an amp/subs if you’re looking to build a big-loud sound system but there are a lot of different options and with a price point that makes them pretty tempting.. just keep in mind shipping will probably take at least a month.

·
Super Moderator
17,887 Posts
Personally, I'd go with the double-din that's integrated if possible.

Totally just my opinions but:
  • Single din "popup" ones have a lot of moving pieces that can break fairly easily (whether by accident or not).
  • They also take longer to startup because you have to wait for them to fold/unfold.
  • They don't look stock or that they belong in any way, but maybe that's what you're going for.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts