Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im about to put a "new" to me motor in my 6, due to failed rear precat....surprise surprise. My car is an MTX, the motor im putting in came from an ATX. I know I need to swap the wiring harness and install a Pilot Bushing in the end of the crank. But I can't find a pilot BUSHING anywhere, I can find pilot BEARINGS galore however. The guy at mazda parts says that is in fact what i need, a BEARING, but from the little information i could find on it, I believe the bushing is what I need. Can anyone please 1, give me some insight to the wich one REALLY need and why, and 2, perhaps give me a part number or somewhere that i CAN purchase a pilot BUSHING from. Any help or advice would be MUCH appreciated.

·
Registered
585 Posts
The "pilot bearing/bushing" in the end of the crankshaft is just an assembly aid used to align the clutch plate when you install the clutch and pressure plate housing. All it does is provide a smaller center hole to place an industry standard "clutch centering/aligning pin" that comes with most new clutches. If you still have your old engine it is fairly easy to extract the old one by packing as much grease as you can into the center hole and then driving a chunk of 5/8 inch diameter oak dowel in like a cork. The hydraulic action well actually force the bushing to pop out. The dowel may actually drive all the way in as the bushing slides out. If it does this, cut the dowel off close to bushing, drill it out, pack more grease in the hole and the pound in another piece of dowel to finish popping the bushing out.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Did you get a CEL prior to engine failure?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Prior, no, after, yes, blinky blink blink. The only thing i noticed before it failed, was a VERY faint ticking coming from the rear head about 3 weeks earlier when i changed the oil, wich did make me uneasy, but I only heard it ticking two different days, it wasn't a consistent everyday ticking, and again, when i say slight i mean slight. And before you guys have the chance to suggest it, i know the difference between the ticking/sewing machine sound of the injectors and an engine tick :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts