Mazda 6 Forums banner

181 - 197 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
damn bro, you got a gauge fetish? :love:
i wouldnt say its rice to have gauges in an unmodified car. are you even aware of how inaccurate factory gauges are. more often than not by time you factory guage shows signs of your car overheating its too late. by time your factory oil pressure switch makes the light come on in the cab for a signifiacant pressure drop, its too late, you dont have to have 0 oil pressure to starve your head of oil.....just less than what is called for. voltmeters are good if you have a system and need to monitor vehicle battery and alternator stability.
so have you heard from greg yet dave? maybe i'll try him today[/b]

Cars are built pretty well from the factory. If the factory gauges or warning lights fail so much, why don't we see thousands of cars w/ blown motors etc etc.

My other car is an bolt-on all motor 350z w/EMS and my factory gauges do a fine job. No need to put gauges since N/A motors are much much stronger than F/I cars.
Regular maintenance should do just fine.

Gauges are for monitoring fully modified cars. Especially when a car is F/I. You MUST monitor many parameters. EGT,Oil Temp/Pressure, A/F ratio etc etc.

If any of those fail on a F/I car, it is catastrophic engine faliure.

But hey, if you think you need gauges on a close-to-stock car, whatever floats your boat.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
There have been several 6's that have overheated before the temperature gauge has moved from the "NORMAL" range, and the oil light comes on when you have 3psi of oil pressure, which by that point, you are fucked already. Plus, the 350Z comes with an oil pressure and volt gauge from the factory that we do not have. So its not exactly fair to compare the 2 vehicles.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
I am very interested will this pillar pod work in the speed6? If so add me.[/b]

It should,but I have not heard anything from Greg Noonan at Glow shift since a couple of weeks ago.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
sorry dave but im going to have to back out[/b]
It's ok,for all purposes I don't think there will be a Group Buy.I can't get a hold of Greg so if anyone wants one just order it thru them @ Glowshift.

·
Registered
393 Posts
At one point there was going to be color options. The web site still only shows black. Anyone see these in a different color? I want grey.

·
Registered
321 Posts
how was the install? was it easy or you really have to push it in there?

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
if you've ever taken your A-pillars off, they come out about an inch - 1.5 inches and then lock. i "believe" that when the airbags deploy, it doesn't blow the pillar right out but rather just out until it locks. the airbag then deploys in more of a downward direction to cover the window area.

however, i can't vouch for this pillar pod working/not coming off and hitting you in the face upon airbag deployment but i would highly doubt that it would impede the airbags from working.

·
Rally Racer
1,979 Posts
GlowShift is currently making these.
Can't speak anything about the airbag. The pillar does pop out and would likely not be an issue with getting hit in the head by the gauges per se but the added mass of the gauges themselves and increased inertia may slow the response time of the pillar trim. This could possibly cause conflict with the bag itself as it deploys down if it gets caught up on a slow moving trim piece.

Attachments

·
Registered
540 Posts
Now that's funny..!

I'm thinking about adding an oil pressure gauge and I don't want to sacrifice my center stash spot.

I don't want to lose mine either. Was looking around not to long ago for steering wheel pods for the 6 and found these.

MAZDA

But at that price, I'll just make my own. One could easily make it with some light fab skills.

·
Rally Racer
1,979 Posts
I don't want to lose mine either. Was looking around not to long ago for steering wheel pods for the 6 and found these.
MAZDA
But at that price, I'll just make my own. One could easily make it with some light fab skills.

Huh, will you look at that. I never knew such a thing even existed.
Thanks @DJ Raydiate

I also noticed the site had a SRS pillar mount and one without.
The gauges are mounted toward the bottom of the SRS one (notably similar to the GlowShift pod cluster.

181 - 197 of 197 Posts