Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Edit:April 2,2008

The pillar pod is in route to me as we as I type.They will be availible in Grey,Tan,and Black.

Here is the interest list
1. djquik1
2. Mazda6smtx
3. xtmesisx
4. WWPearlMS6
5. mtx
6. The Great NY
7. leadbedr
8. rosem32
9. Block8head
10.Big D562
11.Iluv2zmzm
12.Tommyboy44
13. benner410
14. Zoomzoom43
15. 6gt

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
might want to keep in mind, 90% of the 6's now have an airbag located in the pillars. makes for pod location a bit dangerous.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you have the window sticker it would say if you had side curtain airbags.If not there should be an SRS tag somewhere in the area of where the pillar meets the headliner.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just got off the phone with the guy from lotek.He said they will not make a pillar pod for that car for liability reasons.They can not be assured that someone would not put it in a car that has side curtain airbags.I didn't argue with the guy,but he said that he wouldn't make it.I have one other company that i can check with that makes alot of BMW stuff and see if they would take that project on.Actually it's the same manufacturer for the plug-n-play hid lamps.I will keep everyone up to date.I do however need a solid count on who would be in.Looks like 3 right now?please correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
If you have the window sticker it would say if you had side curtain airbags.If not there should be an SRS tag somewhere in the area of where the pillar meets the headliner.[/b]
yeah, and i have the damn airbags... but better to be safer than sorry later! pillar gauges are damn sweet looking though!

I just got off the phone with the guy from lotek.He said they will not make a pillar pod for that car for liability reasons.They can not be assured that someone would not put it in a car that has side curtain airbags.I didn't argue with the guy,but he said that he wouldn't make it.I have one other company that i can check with that makes alot of BMW stuff and see if they would take that project on.Actually it's the same manufacturer for the plug-n-play hid lamps.I will keep everyone up to date.I do however need a solid count on who would be in.Looks like 3 right now?please correct me if I am wrong.[/b]

that's a bummer....

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I just got off the phone with the guy from lotek.He said they will not make a pillar pod for that car for liability reasons.They can not be assured that someone would not put it in a car that has side curtain airbags.I didn't argue with the guy,but he said that he wouldn't make it.I have one other company that i can check with that makes alot of BMW stuff and see if they would take that project on.Actually it's the same manufacturer for the plug-n-play hid lamps.I will keep everyone up to date.I do however need a solid count on who would be in.Looks like 3 right now?please correct me if I am wrong.[/b]
You may not agree with Lotek, but they're doing the right thing.

Thank stupid people who don't follow directions as well as lawyers for that decision. Frankly if it were my company my decision would be the same as I would not want to loose my corporate ass because of a lawsuit.

It would only take one rocket scientist owner of a car with the side curtain air bags deciding to ignore your warnings and install the gauge pod anyway, then get into an accident and have his head bashed in or an eye socket ripped out by a flying gauge as the side curtain airbag deployed to decide that it was your company's fault for making the pod in the first place. He would then proceed to follow the American way of suing you for his stupidity. Your company, if it's a small one, would most likely be bankrupted even if he didn't win the suit just from the legal expenses.

Quick way to know if you have side airbags: Look at your A-pillar trim. At the top of it will be a small square that says "SRS Airbag". There will also be one on the C-pillars.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I didn't agree with him on it,but I fully understand where he is coming from on it.There are alot of stupid people out there that would sue over their own fault and negligence.You would think that Lotek could get around it with a disclaimer on their website or something along those lines.

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
why risk it for selling 5-10 units a year? i didn't check with the situation before getting mine done at carbontrix, and started warning people when i found out about it. i think he's sold 6 sets of pillars in the last year or so, not worth it at all.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I talked to my dealer about putting in a gauge pod on the pillar, and they said the pillar only has the air bag marking on it, there is no airbag behind it. They told me I would be fine if I installed on and that to keep it to a maximum of 2 gauges near the bottom. The airbag comes down from the roof liner and has nothing to do with the pillar. If the Carbontrix one was cheaper I would have bought it a long time ago.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I talked to my dealer about putting in a gauge pod on the pillar, and they said the pillar only has the air bag marking on it, there is no airbag behind it. They told me I would be fine if I installed on and that to keep it to a maximum of 2 gauges near the bottom. The airbag comes down from the roof liner and has nothing to do with the pillar. If the Carbontrix one was cheaper I would have bought it a long time ago.[/b]
Good Grief, he's right. A quick trip thru the shop manual shows no airbag module in the A-pillar. There's one in the C-pillar and one in the side of the front seat(s) but nothing in the A-pillar.

Ya learn something new every day. :drive:

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I had learned this a couple of months ago, I did post up the info but it didn't get anywhere. I really want the pillar pod, but I find the Carbontrix one too expensive. If it was $75 I would have bought it right away.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yep, price is what kept me from buying the Carbontrix piller pod, too. I figure I'd just fiberglass my own when I get some free time.

Have you contacted Autometer ? They make gauge pods for various cars, although usually it's not a whole pillar replacement.

Either way, count me in for a 2 (maybe 3) gauge pod.

-Nik (of the no side airbag group)

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I"m going to see about getting CF replica's made of the Carbontrix ones. If I got the BR lip going, I'm sure I can get this going.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Alright everyone

I've talked to Supershyguy and we are going to construct a 2 gauge pillar pod for the Mazda6, cost should be around $75. Let me know if you are interested we need 10 people to get this going.

1. Mazda6smtx
2. icecreme98

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I"m going to see about getting CF replica's made of the Carbontrix ones. If I got the BR lip going, I'm sure I can get this going.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Alright everyone

I've talked to Supershyguy and we are going to construct a 2 gauge pillar pod for the Mazda6, cost should be around $75. Let me know if you are interested we need 10 people to get this going.

1. Mazda6smtx
2. icecreme98[/b]
is that going to be CF or fiberglass?

1 - 20 of 197 Posts
About this Discussion
196 Replies
44 Participants
DrFeelGood
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing