Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Replying to Topic 'Pictures of the speakers'

Nice!!!

That was the subwoofer for the hatch (on that link); but for Canada, we'll have it in that panel behind the rear seats. With my experience in audio, I can tell you that this sub will play much more bass than that one in the spare tire...

·
Registered
319 Posts

That sub is nothing to write home about from my experience. From that picture, that looks like the EXACT same Bose sub that is in my Acura RSX spare tire. It can give off a small amount of punch, but I wouldn't say it really thumps. Now, I don't know if that is the sub itself, or a head unit that doesn't power it quite optimally.

All in all, the BOSE on my Acura is rather weak. Stock systems in the Honda Prelude, and my Mazda Millenia sound better than that BOSE step-up system. However, the BOSE in Nissans is amazing, as the BOSE in Millenias is very nice too. Edmunds said the Mazda6 stereo is almost perfect, so maybe they just made everything work together a lot better than in my Acura.

All in all, the sub is a nice feature, but definitely NOT serious audio equipment.

·
Registered
158 Posts

I wonder how hard it would be to use that same connector to wire up a real 10" speaker in an enclosure? It would seem that the amp side is already take care of, so I imagine it's doable.

My one gripe with this car is that it appears next to impossible to swap out the head unit for something else.

·
Registered
355 Posts

It can give off a small amount of punch, but I wouldn't say it really thumps.[/b]
I don't think it has a necessary amount of "space" around it and way to create the "echo" for a real THUMB, since it is under the boot making the sound waves into cars structure. Usually the subwoofers are put in a boot (taking a whole lot of space there!) the sound coming straight to your backbones. And sometimes they are made so powerfull (check ALI G THE MOVIE, if you can, to know what I am talking about ;) ) that the car jumps around, car being a secondary thing...

As long as the subwoofer can add the bass feel it would be good enough for a car. You indicated that there is a punch and that should be good enough... If you are looking for those "POWER BASS" systems, you are forgetting the overall acoustic sounds, all you can hear are the bass. Even if the bass sounds GREAT, remember there is lots more in the music than just that. :)

·
Registered
319 Posts

Oh, I definitely know there is more than bass to music. In fact, I much prefer a system with a really crisp all around sound than one that simply "hits" on the bass.

The Bose sub is nice in my Acura, but I have a few friends who have a much more balanced system, with a 10" sub in the trunk box that, while not bone jarring, do produce what I consider a perfect amount of bass to complement the music. I would say that my Acura BOSE doesn't even really do that.

However, hatchback speaker positioning and acoustics I think are quite a bit harder to get to sound as good as a sedan or coupe with trunk.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Originally posted by mpulse1

I wonder how hard it would be to use that same connector to wire up a real 10" speaker in an enclosure?  It would seem that the amp side is already take care of, so I imagine it's doable.[/b]
It is interesting. Hopefully, by the time the signal gets to the sub, it is already crossed over and amplified. Can anyone verify this? If so, the sub can be swapped right out. If not, even better - but higher $$ for an amp. But if you were going to do that, you might as well just rip the whole system apart anyways.

Can anyone specify how many / what wires are in that connector?

·
Registered
355 Posts

However, hatchback speaker positioning and acoustics I think are quite a bit harder to get to sound as good as a sedan or coupe with trunk.[/b]
One thing that I am also worried about, that the hatch doesn't produce the same level... But I have heard that it does have potential... I will wait and see - soon enough.

And to Applejax: It would be interesting indeed. All these special wirings and stuff would be cool to know what's done and whats not... And what were the experiences in the end. :)

·
Registered
62 Posts

All I have to say is I'm a big fan of practicality. Right now, I'm stuck with a box in the back of my 2000 Tiburon, and it's no fun. Sure, sounds great, but looking at this new BOSE system they have in the Mazda6 just gets me excited! :D

It is known that BOSE makes good speakers, so I imagine this systems sounds good. If you want the "big thump", all you need to do is drop a box with 2 12 inch subs and hook up an amp. You can then just disconect the "tire mounted sub" thingy.

Just my opinion. I'm going ahead with the BOSE system and I hope I am satisfied when I get it!!!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

does someone has a sedan with the Bose package and could take a picture of the sub (the speaker, not the box like the hatchback)

·
Registered
8 Posts

Here are the pics of the bose sub sedan version...

It doesn't really take up too much space and looks alot better than the hatchback version.

·
Registered
62 Posts

Cool pic! Well I've made up my mind. I'm definitely going with the sedan. I once had an "open air" woofer in a trunk and let me tell you, it sounded great! For those of you wondering, the trunk acts "as a box" and provides your base. I am positive that the BOSE woofer was specially created to act as "open air". Great concept and it leaves you with a trunk!!! :D

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

The trunk only acts as an adequate box if it becomes totally sealed when closed. While I highly doubt this, the sub is almost surely an infintie baffle (designed to work in very, very large enclosures - or no enclosure at all)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts