Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those not reading my other postings, this is a liquid to air IC that will directly replace the factory TMIC and has a heat exchanger that goes behind the front grill to cool off the coolant (water and water wetter in AZ). We're using a Ford factory pump for easy replacement on the road for the coolant. This allows for no additional pressure drop from the factory TMIC while giving much lower intake temps than factory. We have not started testing yet (we're going to drag race the car with and w/o the factory IC vs the new IC for comparison) and there's no price yet but a ball park figure of $1500 complete is close.
The delay has been in procuring the right parts and then having them polished for a great look. There is one picture of the new IC installed previous to being polished. Also you will have to remove the duct work from the bottom of the hood which is shown in one picture. The underside looks much cleaner now and the factory heat pad goes across, you can't even tell when you see it (I know I didn't).

Please do not ask LA vs AA IC questions, there is TONS of good information out there both pro and con for either IC available all over the web.

I am not the shop, www.metalmanfab.com is (Only view with IE).
I am the customer and have paid to have this prototype made for everyone else who wants a CLEAN alternative.
All that being said, here is the first few pics. More will be taken during the install process this weekend.

·
Registered
214 Posts
sweet, congratulations.. cna't wait to hear about ur drag times... have u put a lot of miles on it yet? just curious to get some initial daily driving impressions besides the track as well

·
Registered
744 Posts
looks good man. Quick question. those in a colder climate. ie north east. Can they run this system? will the water freeze and expand when the car is off? Can u us liquid which is not water so it doesnt freeze? 1700 is steep!! but it looks great and i bet will put down great numbers.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
looks good man. Quick question. those in a colder climate. ie north east. Can they run this system? will the water freeze and expand when the car is off? Can u us liquid which is not water so it doesnt freeze? 1700 is steep!! but it looks great and i bet will put down great numbers.
[/b]
Yes, it's like a radiator (it is a radiator), use whatever coolant is required for your climate.

What kind of difference are you hoping to get temperature wise? I'd be interested to see intake temp comparisons between stock and this (highway, stop go traffic, drag with 20-45 min between runs, etc.) Looking good otherwise!
[/b]
Yes, dyno's will be done with all parameters monitored comparing this IC with factory IC.
Mike

·
Registered
795 Posts
looks nice , i like it , let me know the difference

·
Registered
168 Posts
You might want to look into the AutoEXE TMIC for improved cooling, if you want to improve on your current setup. Looks very nice!

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
looks very nice and clean. you're gonna get some good gains with that. the hood ducting should help with engine bay heat as well. congrats and good job.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Renesis_8 Posted Today, 10:56 PM
You might want to look into the AutoEXE TMIC for improved cooling, if you want to improve on your current setup. Looks very nice![/b]
His water/air intercooler is way better than the autoexe. It's probably alot less also. Autoexe will probably be close to 1500 if not more.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Def looks good! I cant wait to see some numbers on the dyno. If possible, can you also get the Intake temps. Im curious to see how effective this will be.

·
Registered
475 Posts
i like that hand fabbed hand welded style, straight race style!

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
With some ice in the tank it will actually run lower than ambient temperatures... making it VERY quick at a drag strip... very nice :)

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Yes, it's like a radiator (it is a radiator), use whatever coolant is required for your climate.
Yes, dyno's will be done with all parameters monitored comparing this IC with factory IC.
Mike
[/b]
Be sure to check pressure drop, oem vs new. dwyer makes a nice 100" wc diff pressure guage.

May want to make front exchanger 2-pass, as you need a long flow path when delta T's are low. Just need 1 divided end tank.

Would also be nice to have a manual fan override switch to keep ambient air flowing through front rad, in traffic.

Nice work.

·
Registered
33 Posts
look out for heat soak. I'm not trying to be a dick but that is the draw back about water to air ic's. They are great for drag racing where you have short bursts and can ice them down in between runs or boats where you have a constant supply of fresh water but they actually cool less than air to air once heated up.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
look out for heat soak. I'm not trying to be a dick but that is the draw back about water to air ic's. they actually cool less than air to air once heated up.
[/b]
false.

Water has a higher thermal conductivity than air – it can move heat faster than air can. Water also has a higher specific heat capacity. It can absorb more heat before it starts to feel hot.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
look out for heat soak. I'm not trying to be a dick but that is the draw back about water to air ic's. They are great for drag racing where you have short bursts and can ice them down in between runs or boats where you have a constant supply of fresh water but they actually cool less than air to air once heated up.
[/b]
Heat soak effects will be minimal if pump and fans are on when car is in hot traffic, and some insulation or heat shield is added to intercooler ... esp lower side. No, not as good as fmic in cooling, but clean easy install has value to some.

1 - 20 of 195 Posts