Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay everyone, sorry this took so long. I've been crazy busy at work but here is my handy work with the AEM CAI and the HKS SQV installed and all cleaned up! I hope you like ;)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
Very nice!!!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Okay everyone, sorry this took so long. I've been crazy busy at work but here is my handy work with the AEM CAI and the HKS SQV installed and all cleaned up! I hope you like ;)
[/b]
Where did you buy it?

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Only problem stretch is that there is no reason it should... I mean the CP-E unit doesn't and even though there is far more R&D involved in the CP-e unit (i.e. ABS brakes, heat shield)... they are both pipes with filters... nothing ECU related at all...

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Who wants to take bets on when the first CEL will occur?
[/b]
Well I had said in another thread that I've put about 1,000 miles on the new CAI and about 4,000 on the BOV and I just hooked it into the computer at my dealership and there are no codes. It's worked perfectly. :yesnod:

Where did you buy it?
[/b]
I got mine at Summit Racing. I used to live in Akron/Canton, OH so I'm familiar with the place and used to go to their store a lot. It was only $241.00 http://www.summitracing.com is the website if you wanna see.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Only problem stretch is that there is no reason it should... I mean the CP-E unit doesn't and even though there is far more R&D involved in the CP-e unit (i.e. ABS brakes, heat shield)... they are both pipes with filters... nothing ECU related at all...
[/b]
The MAF sensor is after a curve in the pipe, thus air is going to be moving faster on side of the pipe than the other. That's enough to really screw things up right there, which is why the stock airbox has a velocity stack immediately after a big panel filter to really smooth out airflow. I'd bet the MAF mounting depth and pipe diameter have changed too. All these things require tuning to correct, though it's possible through engineering and sheer luck that the variances could be reduced to within reasonable tolerances. That doesn't mean the tuning isn't off; it's just off by a small enough amount not to throw a CEL. Historically, AEM has always thrown a CEL on their Mazda6 intakes for the above reasons. I would bet this one will eventually do the same.

There are MANY things on a simple "pipe and filter" that can screw up the sensor. It is very ECU related.

By the way- the Subaru STI I just bought came with an AEM intake. It threw a CEL, and it was caused by the intake. The MAF was after a bend in the intake pipe. My wife has told me insanity can be diagnosed when a person tries the same thing over and over, expecting different results. Does AEM expect their designs to suddenly work?

Thanks for taking pictures though, Matt, at least it does look nice. Hopefully a tuning solution will be availabe soon.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
from what ive heard in these forums, the CP-E cai has a neck where the MAF is attached. that was designed to mechanically eliminate any possible CEL problems.

if there is r&d involved, then there really should be any flow or CEL problems. now if you decide to grab a pipe from home depot, then expect problems. r&d would consist of using CAD to design the pipe, then throwing it into a fluid dynamics problem to give you the pressures and velocities and everything else you need. if those results are within the tolerances of the MAF sensor, then you're golden.

a lot of you refer to the 6s and 6i AEM's giving CELs. the intake system for the ms6 is different. the stock intake was not designed with a flapper or gradual intake system. the MAF sensor on those cars set their tolerances to reflect the changes of air flow, so if you change it to a constant rush of air a la CAI, then you get a CEL. the ms6 doesnt use that technology, so theoretically, it shouldnt behave the same as a 6s or 6i.

·
Registered
998 Posts
a lot of you refer to the 6s and 6i AEM's giving CELs. the intake system for the ms6 is different. the stock intake was not designed with a flapper or gradual intake system. the MAF sensor on those cars set their tolerances to reflect the changes of air flow, so if you change it to a constant rush of air a la CAI, then you get a CEL. the ms6 doesnt use that technology, so theoretically, it shouldnt behave the same as a 6s or 6i.
[/b]
Unfortunately you can argue this until you're blue in the face, however most 6 owners (not speed6 owners) will say these cars are the exact same and what worked or didn't work for the 6i/s will work or not work for the speed6. These types also seem to hang from the CP-E Nut Sack tree.

Pics look good :)

Jason

The MAF sensor is after a curve in the pipe, thus air is going to be moving faster on side of the pipe than the other.
[/b]
Please take a look at the photos. The MAF sensor is not directly after a curve. It's actually a good foot away from the curve.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Unfortunately you can argue this until you're blue in the face, however most 6 owners (not speed6 owners) will say these cars are the exact same and what worked or didn't work for the 6i/s will work or not work for the speed6. These types also seem to hang from the CP-E Nut Sack tree.
Pics look good :)

Jason
Please take a look at the photos. The MAF sensor is not directly after a curve. It's actually a good foot away from the curve.
[/b]
Thanks! :)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Looks Good.. How is the HKS holding? STill feel STrong without a dip in power on acceleration?
Also, I believe you will not get a CEL from the Intake either. It will have to be something like a backfire due to richness. ;)
I have not pulled a CEL on my Street Concepts SRI either. And have a couple k's on it.
Keep up the info and good work. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks Good.. How is the HKS holding? STill feel STrong without a dip in power on acceleration?
Also, I believe you will not get a CEL from the Intake either. It will have to be something like a backfire due to richness. ;)
I have not pulled a CEL on my Street Concepts SRI either. And have a couple k's on it.
Keep up the info and good work. :thumbup:
[/b]
Thanks! The HKS is doing great. The sound is excellent as well!

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
[/b]
Do you realize that intake charges can move around 200 feet per second? I don't think the six inches of preceeding straight pipe is going to do much. The AEM intake I have for the STI is pretty similar, though the curve is much more shallow. As I said, even it requires tuning or it throws a code, and historically Mazda ECU's are far more particular about sensors being off. I'm sure yours will throw a code some day. It takes two sequential codes to cause a MIL, and I believe three clean drive cycles to remove one. Depending on your luck, you may go a long time without ever having the CEL illuminate.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Do you realize that intake charges can move around 200 feet per second? I don't think the six inches of preceeding straight pipe is going to do much. The AEM intake I have for the STI is pretty similar, though the curve is much more shallow. As I said, even it requires tuning or it throws a code, and historically Mazda ECU's are far more particular about sensors being off. I'm sure yours will throw a code some day. It takes two sequential codes to cause a MIL, and I believe three clean drive cycles to remove one. Depending on your luck, you may go a long time without ever having the CEL illuminate.
[/b]
What are you trying to get at? Where's the location of the CP-E maf sensor? It appears to be bottom or back/mounted much closer to the bend then the AEM unit. Now why exactly is the CP-E unit better if the bend is the problem?

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
What are you trying to get at? Where's the location of the CP-E maf sensor? It appears to be bottom or back/mounted much closer to the bend then the AEM unit. Now why exactly is the CP-E unit better if the bend is the problem?
[/b]
No MAF after a bend.

The real magic can't be seen in this picture, though. The place where the MAF mounts looks like it took quite a bit of work, but the result is that the CP-E intake keeps the fuel trims spot-on perfect. IIRC, it took almost a week of continuous trial-and-error beyond just the normal pipe development to acheive this.

There's another thread comparing the CPE and AEM intakes with more information.

·
Registered
998 Posts
It looks to me the maf is placed on the back/underside about 1.5" to the drivers side of the 'CE' in Performance. If that is the case, it would be closer to the bend then the AEM. Please point out where the maf is.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
It looks to me the maf is placed on the back/underside about 1.5" to the drivers side of the 'CE' in Performance. If that is the case, it would be closer to the bend then the AEM. Please point out where the maf is.
[/b]

The MAF is not visible in that pic. It actually sits about even with the bottom of the headlight right above where the intake passes into the fenderwell.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
12 Participants
jsehlms
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing