Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i just picked up an 06 M6i and i know 19's are a bit overkill for it but man looking at some of these pics how can i say no right?

Ok heres the question...For any of you people that live any where near the north east you are surely firmiliar with the concept of "SNOW"......So I'm rather unsure about putting the drop to my car wheither its an inch or two or whatever but i know that putting nice rims on like this, it kinda helps add to the look pretty nicely....BUt durring winter time i plan on taking these beautiful rims off and throwing on probably the stock rims that i will keep and well for the first 3-4 years i'll keep the stock tires that came with the car bute ventually put on a set of winter tires as I live right outside of Syracuse NY, and we get whats called "Lake Effect" from lake ontario and so when it snows, we get a foot or more a nite as say the south might get an inch or two....damn Snow belt i live in, but needless to say i'm trying to weigh out getting what size rims and say i do get 19"s like 19" Motegi FF7 Gloss Black with Polished Lip or Tenzo R GT5's 19x8.5...Two sets that I noticed in your 19" exclusive only club there ;P and I dont think I would be able to drop my car correct due to the fact that if I'm putting snow tires or the stock tires back on there for a quarter of the year....

So what do you guys think? This feedback is going to greatly affect the decision i make as to what size wheel i get and if i do decide to drop the car at all, Thanks!

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
my car is on eibachs and i live in toronto, we get tons of snow so i put 16" steelies with snow tires.

works great :)

i'd reccomend scrapping the OEM tires and going with some proper snow tires

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool but what size rims do you have durring the rest of the year?

i wouldnt mind putting nice snow tires on there but these tires are brand new so i dont really want to waste them if i dont have to, the tred should be good for a few years so i might as well beat them in, litterally only have about 1500 miles on the car total...Oh btw is it bad t hat i put that 1500 miles on the car in 2 weeks? man it hurts driving 45 minutes each way to work and back....

i guess i'm just concerned about putting say a 19" wheel on my car or even an 18" wheel and then dropping it and then not having the stock 16's fit anymore....if they will fit then i dont really care

·
Registered
947 Posts
I live in Northern VT and I plan to use my stock tire/steelies for one winter then replace the tires w/ something decent for next yr.

See my sig for my summer wheel/tires...

As for drop, if it's mild (RB or MS) you can easily run stock steelies/tires and drop... I am getting the MS springs soon myself...

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,543 Posts
Welcome Chase from a fellow Syracusan! :)

Personally, I don't think 19" wheels are a smart idea with the condition of the roads in this area. I had a friend of mine that bought 19" rims for his Prelude, only to bend two of them on a nasty pothole within a week. I know it also depends on the tires, but I think you'd be safer with 18" wheels.

What wheel/tire combo are you running now? If you have the 17" wheels, do not, and I repeat, DO NOT use the OEM Michelins as snow tires. They may be labeled "all-season", but in Syracuse, they're terrible, no traction at all. I purchased a set of 16" steelies with Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2 snow tires (205/60-16), and they've worked well. No problems with traction in slush or deep snow, and unlike other snow tires, they're H-speed rated, so they perform well in dry conditions as well. I've ran them for two winters (over 12K miles total), and they still look brand-new, with virtually no treadwear. I keep the stock 17" wheels with the OEM tires for the rest of the year, but I'm planning to ditch the Michelins next spring.

As far as lowering, you should be fine, but keep an eye on snow getting packed into your wheelwells. I haven't lowered my 6 because I travel on dirt and gravel roads for my job, and ground clearance is my friend in my case.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey man thanks for the advice, yeah you gotta know that each winter around here tears up the roads with new potholes and whatever because of all the plows.... so i'll stick to 18's for this, not sure what type of exterior changes i want to do besides that yet but over time i plan on adding here and there, the wheels and tires will be bought next spring for sure....i'll proly keep the stock tires for now and ditch them next winter for some winter tires

where abouts in cuse are you from? I live in liverpool

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,543 Posts
[/b]
North of Great Northern Mall, just over the bridge in Oswego county. I grew up in Liverpool and my folks still reside there.

I drive to East Syr for my job, so Route 481 is only too familiar to me, as well as how bad it gets in lake-effect snow...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol no kiddin, i grew up in phoenix, which is like right where your talkin about, i lived on route 57 right down in the middle of phoenix...lol not too far away huh, who knows i may have probably seen your car sometime driving by...

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,543 Posts
...who knows i may have probably seen your car sometime driving by...
[/b]
Probably in the fast lane doing WAY OVER the limit! :) My lead foot's gotten pretty bad lately, I really do need to watch it.

They're a couple other members from the Syracuse area, a lot better than the one that was here originally when I signed on (me).

Tell me more about the ride... Hatch? Sedan? What color? Did you get it from Burdick?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
its your basic 6i sedan - black 5speedmtx - got it from drivers village, they cut me a pretty good deal...i owed 11,500 on my maxima and it was only workth 6,000 and they wrote it off and gave me this for 19 brand new so i made out pretty well!

its nice thou, i love driving this thing soo much more than the max!

I need to get the windows tinted, where around here would be a good place to go? any good deals and good dealers for that in the area your aware of besides installations which is highly over priced!!??

gonna do some minor mods to its exterior, mainly the wheels, maybe a drop and sway bars. this is the 6i so its proly not the sportiest one that i could get but pretty much what i could afford...

and a few minor mods to the engine, CAI, airbox mod, and not sure from there, duno about a turbo or new magnaflow exhaust but this will all come in time. if i have the $$

basically i love the new car and want to add my own touch to it and make it last a while and have fun with it so we'll see where it goes...i gotta get a digi and put some pics up here soon!

·
Registered
152 Posts
[/b]

Welcome and good luck with the new ride! I'm currently located in Baldwinsville and I commute to E.syr on 481 and sometimes 690 to work. I have seen the Ghost a few times on 481. One time in particular...he flew by me ;) . I was stuck in the right lane. 481 at rush hour is fun cause it's always bumper to bumper in the left lane! haha. :drive:

Again..welcome. I have a Blazing Copper 6s...and I'm always around the Great Northern mall area...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice, I like that color of your car, its nice!

Lookin at your windshield it seems dark, is that just from the sun or is there somethign on that too? and what level is your tint? I need to get that done in the next few weeks! I;ll keep an eye out for ya :)

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,543 Posts
His windows are tinted, and he's got a nice ride (well, from what I could see of it from my mirrors!) :nana:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Nice, I like that color of your car, its nice!

Lookin at your windshield it seems dark, is that just from the sun or is there somethign on that too? and what level is your tint? I need to get that done in the next few weeks! I;ll keep an eye out for ya :)
[/b]

Black is always a good color too....will look really sweet with the tint. I'm guessing my tint is about 20%. I bought the car with the tint used from Fuccillo up in Adams. The windshield just has the visor strip. Some guy from Pheonix traded it in for a brand new silverado. I think they only had the 6 for a few days before I bought it. I found it on autotrader.

Long story short...love the car. I've had it since December of 2005. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts