Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As of this writing I have a few posts but still a newby here. I've had the car whole 8 days and have to say its great driving car, it looks good and has tad more power than my 95 Camry V6 with its 1MZ-FE engine and 4spd auto (190hp/193tq {1993 technology}). Even with 255,000 miles she pulls Hard and strong with no issues! I hope the 6 can rival that and not break the bank!

I have a pretty good background in Yoder inter workers so I'm chime in on common things that transfer over. What I lack at this time is the full FSM to dig into the 6 and how it works.

Here are some things I need done. I'll likely update this thread as things come to mind.

To Do List:
- Roll fenders }see below // DONE
- Add USB port to Bose head unit. It has an iPod unit with steering wheel control now. How can I get it to ingest memory stick and/or flash the head unit to play MP3's???
- De-badge rear of vehicle (this will leave holes where the "M" is yes, but the V6 emblem and M6 are just glue??? Please advise.
- Factory Service Manual (FSM) // Almost DONE, I have some nibbles to glance though
- Windows tinted
- Vinyl the nose to reduce rock chips?? not sure
- brakes, is there an option to install bigger rotors up front? I mean it stops OK but those are wimpy for car size. Likely Ford's Fault on that. . . lol
- replace purge valve; PN: L3P9-18-740B VALVE, SOLE <> DONE! All quiet inside now! // UNDONE - NOISE IS BACK less than 6000 miles later! ):

Maintenance:
* Likely needs plugs, air filter
* Compression test
* OBDII Scan so I have a baseline. . . Note AutoTap 3.0 / 3.1 software doesn't like talking to the M6
* Clean engine bay (DONE) Soap, water, rag, & Hose. . . All is well so far
* Replace tranny fluid / flush // DONE 2012-12-27
* Replace power steering fluid // DONE 2012-12-27
* Flush brake fluid
* fix/clean up the leaks at the heater core and battery area where the Anti-Freeze has seeped a little // DONE 2012-10-27
* Remove swirl marks and wax it (must before winter)
* Polish head light covers - getting a slight haze to them

As of 2012-09-09 that's what comes to mind. . .

[copy paste from tire wheel section]
Car Year/Model: 06 Mazda6 GS HB V6 6psd
Wheel: Motegi MR116
Offset: 18 X 8 +45 Offset
Weight: unknown
Tires/Brand/Model: Federal Steel 595, 225/40/ZR18 88W
Suspension: Stock, 74,000 miles
Fenders Rolled: Not yet :/
Rubbing: Yes, in the rear when loaded and/or cornering

·
Registered
2017.5 Touring Plus - Moonroof, Bose & Nav Package and Premium Package Black Mica Paint, Black Letrr
117 Posts
Nice Lookin Ride.
Welcome to the Group.
Always like the Lapis Blue.

Reactions: Final Impact

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can someone chime in: do the 08's have MP3 disc ability from the Bose head unit? Is it just the AMP and speakers are Bose or is the HD Bose too??

Mine has ipod cable which has steering wheel control of ipod and a 1/8" jack but the jack is DOA as best I can tell. So is there a way make an 06 play Mp3 disc's and/or read a USB Mp3 memory stick? I'm fine if i never insert another round thing again!

Oddities about this car:
The temp gauge says its up to temp 4 min after starting it.
The AC is on way to often. Does Defrost mean I want AC every time?

** BIG ONE ** Throttle LAG! Is it just this one or do all Mazda TBW (Throttle By Wire) exhibit lag??? Nissan and Chev and maybe even small Fords (focus) don't seem to do this. It's at least 1/2 sec. . . Thoughts?

·
100% CANUCK
7,600 Posts
Your HU will play MP3 discs only if it has the MP3 logo in the top left corner of the HU.

Look into xcarlink, auxmod, sylfex for ipod/mp3 integration. The RPM store has integration options as well as ebay.

Personally, i wired up an 1/8" jack to my headunit. Made it come out beside the 12v plug in the console between the front seats. For that option (about $5 cost) just search how to 3.5mm in search box.

Are you pressing the media/sat radio buttons to try access your exsisting integration cable?

My temp gauge also rises quite quickly. Faster than any other vehicle I have owned. No complaints from me. Warm air quicker on cold mornings & during winter months.

I dont notice throttle lag really. It may be present & I just got used to it or never realized it. But Im sure if I had a 1/2 second throttle lag I wouldve noticed. You may have a ground issue. Id change the spark plugs if they have never been done.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your HU will play MP3 discs only if it has the MP3 logo in the top left corner of the HU.

Look into xcarlink, auxmod, sylfex for ipod/mp3 integration. The RPM store has integration options as well as ebay.

Personally, i wired up an 1/8" jack to my headunit. Made it come out beside the 12v plug in the console between the front seats. For that option (about $5 cost) just search how to 3.5mm in search box.

Are you pressing the media/sat radio buttons to try access your exsisting integration cable?

My temp gauge also rises quite quickly. Faster than any other vehicle I have owned. No complaints from me. Warm air quicker on cold mornings & during winter months.

I dont notice throttle lag really. It may be present & I just got used to it or never realized it. But Im sure if I had a 1/2 second throttle lag I wouldve noticed. You may have a ground issue. Id change the spark plugs if they have never been done.
Negative on the logo/option. . . Hint I despise iTunes and will avoid it like the plague so I'll opt for the memory stick. . .
Media does zip (need to read up on that), its iPod is in as the Sat, but also comes up if you cycle through the modes.

Can the head units be swapped between years? Stock seems to reduce break in damage so I'm good with that if its functional. But If I can hack MP3 option in some how - do tell more! Thanks for the names! And as of this writing I just haven't dug into why it has the 3.5 jack but doesn't work. Fine by be as it looses quality in analog form. . .

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First Fuelly:
340 miles and light came on, 16 gallons to fill.

340mil/16gal = 21.25mpg and I was nice to her during the dating period! :D
I bet this is gonna hurt when i romp on it! What's funny is its predecessor gets 21 when i flog it!

OK - back to the ToDo List. . .

Mr S, it does seem that from day one it is changing and becoming less of an issue the lag thing. Not that this changes it but I had that thumper valve replaced and the cabin noise is gone now. Can't see that doing anything to the lag factor tho. It will get another bottle of Techron soon tho.

PN: L3P9-18-740B VALVE, SOLE = $96.75 Aka - Purge Valve

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
For the Bose system, the speakers and amp under the passenger seat are made by Bose, the head unit is made by Panasonic and puts out a flat 2v signal to the Bose amp were the signal is processed. So if you want to do aftermarket audio, it's relatively easy to keep the stock hu and run aftermarket amps and you could throw a dsp in between for tuning.

The xcarlink has a USB unit for people who want to use that. It's simple plug n play behind the stock hu then route the wire wherever you want it and enjoy.

The lag/reduction of lag is probably because the battery was disconnected and the car is learning how you drive now though I notice some slight lag in my car, it's not as much as when you first reset the ecu and it has to relearn.

Reactions: Final Impact

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
For the Bose system, the speakers and amp under the passenger seat are made by Bose, the head unit is made by Panasonic and puts out a flat 2v signal to the Bose amp were the signal is processed. So if you want to do aftermarket audio, it's relatively easy to keep the stock hu and run aftermarket amps and you could throw a dsp in between for tuning.

The xcarlink has a USB unit for people who want to use that. It's simple plug n play behind the stock hu then route the wire wherever you want it and enjoy.

The lag/reduction of lag is probably because the battery was disconnected and the car is learning how you drive now though I notice some slight lag in my car, it's not as much as when you first reset the ecu and it has to relearn.
I have ZERO idea what it has now. As stated it does connect, charge and control the ipod and it would be nice to keep that and ADD the USB support.

Although AutoTap OBDII data didn't allow in depth monitoring of the ECM, I did extract that the last DTC/ECM reset was roughly 260 miles before I bought. It is sporting a new battery FWIW.

Thanks Guys for your input; I like options!

EDIT: I know what I meant to ask; does it really take 500 miles for the ECM to relearn?? On the MAZDAWG's behalf, it spent 60 days at the stealership which were likely; start, move it, off. Start, move it, off, test drive. Start move it off. So it might be be hosed up in its learning curve. I have however put 375 miles on it since 2012-09-01.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

The lag is all but gone. Although it is a little hesitant after take off just before the 1 - 2 shift at light throttle.

I found the links to pull the head unit so i maybe inspecting what it has now. IMO the white noise from this system is painful. Not sure if a low pass filter would would block the bass to doors or maybe the speakers simply need replaced? It plays loud but offers no richness or fullness to sound good. For the Bose name, it is a let down but I'll have to deal with it for a while I suspect.

FWIW: This being a US car the Bose Amp is under the drivers seat on the left side.

Roughly 300 miles since the purge valve was installed and the noise is gone.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
The lag is all but gone. Although it is a little hesitant after take off just before the 1 - 2 shift at light throttle.

I found the links to pull the head unit so i maybe inspecting what it has now. IMO the white noise from this system is painful. Not sure if a low pass filter would would block the bass to doors or maybe the speakers simply need replaced? It plays loud but offers no richness or fullness to sound good. For the Bose name, it is a let down but I'll have to deal with it for a while I suspect.

FWIW: This being a US car the Bose Amp is under the drivers seat on the left side.

Roughly 300 miles since the purge valve was installed and the noise is gone.
Yea you must have something going on with your system because I think my Bose sounds pretty damn good for factory. I read an old thread about adding a small preamp to the sub, allowing overall bass to be turned down and boosting the output from the sub.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
- Sigh - adding to the TODO list are the heater hoses and those atop the Trans are all seeping. Apparently the stock spring clamps don't apply enough pressure on the hose.

Such simple things you'd think they would have weeded out in the early years!

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
- Sigh - adding to the TODO list are the heater hoses and those atop the Trans are all seeping. Apparently the stock spring clamps don't apply enough pressure on the hose.

Such simple things you'd think they would have weeded out in the early years!
Two weeks, roughly 700 miles and now a clank in the front suspension when unloaded quickly like when dropping into a dip. It's pretty sharp and pretty loud. Inspection is required today!

Also; anyone ever have their tires make sticking sound on every rotation? Picture this; lets say 1/2 the front tire rolled through wet Tar and 1/2 was dry. It makes sound like peeling tape from a wall. All of this can only be heard at low speeds window down. What's funny is it all but diminished until I was on a gravel road and now it back. FWIW: i don't fly over things, I avoid hole and rough terrain. All of this is from the Left front. wtf???

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Smoke. . .

I see nothing binding, nothing hit, nothing amiss. No loose bolts, displaced rubbers at any of the varying locations.

If I had to describe it better; pretend you left the coil over mount studs under the hood loose (nuts loose) and yanked down quickly on the coil over, it move on the studs until the nuts topped out. Also making a horrid sound as the treads chafed the mount holes. Its a sound like that. And now as quickly as it came it seems to be gone. Errrr...... Anyone have the 06 sway bar end links puke at 74000 miles? They are silent over normal dips and variances in the road. Not sure what to go after. I put a 6 foot bar under the tire while it was jacked and could not simulate the noise. Of course the way it was jacked the S/B was fully loaded with the lefty hanging in the air. My vote is on the bearing or a link. But 74,000 and its trashed???

·
100% CANUCK
7,600 Posts
Ya if there is a clunking noise you for sure have something worn out. Your mileage is just about the same as mine. Im at 122,XXX kms which is roughly 70-75 k miles. I didnt like the condition of a couple of my bushings up front or my shot strut bearings. Eveything is going to be brand new come spring for me so im not worried.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts