Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just go my photo blocker on my plates and took a few snap shots with and without flash to see if it would work and IT DOES! For anybody who has been caught in a red light or photo speed trap, BUY THIS STUFF! the $20.00 will be well worth it after you get the 340.00 ticket sent to your house! I got this after my friend who I sold my old car to ran a red before he changed the registration to his name, and I got the ticket. The cost of the ticlet scared me into trying this stuff, and it seems to work! I took it into photoshop to see if I could filter the shots and see the tag numbers but it was just all white!
with photoblocker (no flash/flash)

W/O photoblocker (with flash)\

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Yeah it only works if the camera flashes a burst of light on to it, Most red light camera's don't do that.

You cold also save $20 and not run a red light like a normal person.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah it only works if the camera flashes a burst of light on to it, Most red light camera's don't do that.

You cold also save $20 and not run a red light like a normal person.
[/b]
all the ones around here do!
(um ever do things on accident!? and as I stated above (if you read the post) I got this after a FRIEND ran a light in my old car before he re-registered it under his name) If it makes you feel better I am a "normal person" and have NEVER been ticketed for such a thing. This is just a procaution not an invitation. so you can save your unwarranted commets for others...

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
They're actually illegal in many states. Here in Colorado, you are not allowed to cover your plate with anything that impedes its visibility in any way. Might want to check the Oregon laws. The problem is that the cover also makes youre plate look like that to the nice police officer behind you in his squad car with the headlights on your plate. That's how the get ya.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They're actually illegal in many states. Here in Colorado, you are not allowed to cover your plate with anything that impedes its visibility in any way. Might want to check the Oregon laws. The problem is that the cover also makes youre plate look like that to the nice police officer behind you in his squad car with the headlights on your plate. That's how the get ya.
[/b]
hmmm food for thought, Im going to check it out with a friends car behind me tonight! as far as I know the spray on is in a different class than the "covers" and are in that gray area right now. I do know that the plastic covers, tinted or not are illegal for both front and back here in Oregon, but the sprays have not been classified as of yet. Anybody feel free to correct me if im wrong.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Yeah, they covered that base here. You can't spray it on here, either. What's interesting out here--and I may do this--is that you CAN cover it as long as it doesn't obstruct visibility. So the Laser Shields are good to go. They reduce the range of laser (when aimed at the plate) as much as 50% sometimes, giving time to react, but don't make the plate harder to see.

I'm also searching for some cheap radar absorbing paint, and a functional passive radar jammer. Maybe a stealth fighter will crash nearby....

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, so I pulled my buddies jeep behind my 6 turned on both highs and lows, :unsure: and the plate looked 100% normal. :blink: No extra glare at all. It was at about a 15ft range. Ill try it on the road driving next time and see if anybody can notice. :yesnod:
on a side note, when I put the clear plastic shield that I had originaly back on, you could still read the numbers when the flash went off, but when the shield was removed the tag was completely whited out!

·
Registered
304 Posts
haha i had a photoblocker thread on here a while back, we got into some ethical and legal debates there. i have photoblocker on my rear plate, but after a frontal collision i think my front plates are pretty much naked again, but crumbled up, managed to salvage it by hammering it "flat". i think photoblocker doesnt work in daylight, when the cams dont use flash...but who knows.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haha i had a photoblocker thread on here a while back, we got into some ethical and legal debates there. i have photoblocker on my rear plate, but after a frontal collision i think my front plates are pretty much naked again, but crumbled up, managed to salvage it by hammering it "flat". i think photoblocker doesnt work in daylight, when the cams dont use flash...but who knows.
[/b]
you should swap them front to back, here they only take the shot of your front! glad to hear of an advocate!

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
OK, so I pulled my buddies jeep behind my 6 turned on both highs and lows, :unsure: and the plate looked 100% normal. :blink: No extra glare at all. It was at about a 15ft range. Ill try it on the road driving next time and see if anybody can notice. :yesnod:
on a side note, when I put the clear plastic shield that I had originaly back on, you could still read the numbers when the flash went off, but when the shield was removed the tag was completely whited out!
[/b]
I alwayus thaught the clear plastic plates people put over the license plate wasn't to block the numbers from photo's but more to prevent the lazer from refelcting back and giving a reading of how fast you are going. Since most cops aim at the plate.

That could just be one of those "myths" too, I don't know

·
Registered
313 Posts
I alwayus thaught the clear plastic plates people put over the license plate wasn't to block the numbers from photo's but more to prevent the lazer from refelcting back and giving a reading of how fast you are going. Since most cops aim at the plate.

[/b]

i just dont like rock chips. lol.
but i got busted for rounded/curved smoked plates front and back so now its just a flat clear cover on front.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

[/b]
Some are just plain clear covers to protect the plate, and there are some "laser sheilds" that do disperse the laser's beam returning to the gun in order to cut the range down (I hear up to half the distance). Cops aim/lock-on to the most reflective part of the car which is the front plate or headlights. I feel that the added reflectivity of the spray might work against me on the freeway, but I dont speed (too much) without a "rabbit", or few other cars around so I wont get picked out. (speeding is baaaad, mmmm-kay?)

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
THere are both, photo-blockers and laser shields. There's also a paint-on fluid called Laser Veil, which is supposed to reduce the effectiveness of lasers by as much as 50% on the headlights.

They may have changed the photoblockers, PDX, to make them more legal. They don't do too much phototicketing here in CO, so I don't worry about it much.

·
Registered
304 Posts
If photoblocker was illegal, they wouldn't be able to sell it, just like clear sidemarkers now, just like metal knuckles cant be shipped to CA or NY.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
all questions answered here. www.radarbusters.com i use this site for all my anti radar / laser / photo needs.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
[/b]
I thought all th cams used flash as to illuminate the driver inside who is shaded otherwise buy the roof or tinted windows. All the ones around here flash in the day as well as at night...

·
Registered
382 Posts
*** BE WARNED*** this will not ALWAYS work during the day... my family has tested this first hand, when driving through DC and they ran (just barely) a red light... so just dont think this stuff will save you 100 percent of the time!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts