1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
84 Posts
Philips Vision Plus or Osram SilverStar?
Philips:

http://www.lighting.philips.com/in_en/cons...ing&lang=en
Osram:

http://www.osram.com/products/automotive/u...silverstar.html
No money for HID upgrade, so which one would you choose?
[/b]
There was a thread earlier on the OSRAM Silverstars..... follow the link
http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=61917

In a nutshell the OSRAMs are repackaged as the Sylvania Xtravision in the US. Not to be confused with the 'superwhite' Sylvania Silverstar. Depending on the weekly promotion at the local autoparts store, you can score a good deal ($20/pr) to a great deal ($15/pr) and get instant consumer gratification!

I've only had experience with the OSRAMs, they are not as 'yellow' as a typical halogen and 'seem' to put a little more light on the road. Longevity is a sticky point, I'm going on 1.5+ yrs; BUT this is definitely a case of YMMV.

My understanding is that the Philips are a very similar style bulb, if not the same. I suspect results will be equally good. Note that both bulb styles (OSRAM Silverstar & Philips VisionPlus) rate pretty well in the UK auto mag tests.

In any event...read what you can, form an opinion, and make your purchase. If you don't mind, update this thread after you've made your decision.

HTH/Good hunting.... and don't forget to check your headlight aim.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
i have philips on my car. Its is not at all hinted blue whcih i kinda wanted, but is pure white and better than any silverstar i had on my old car. Philips are way better than silver star! go with philips you wont be mad. If you want more of an HID look though, find something that is hinted with some blue cause its not blue at all. Only pure white.

ill get pics up tonight possibly.

·
Registered
84 Posts
i have philips on my car. Its is not at all hinted blue whcih i kinda wanted, but is pure white and better than any silverstar i had on my old car. Philips are way better than silver star! go with philips you wont be mad. If you want more of an HID look though, find something that is hinted with some blue cause its not blue at all. Only pure white.

ill get pics up tonight possibly.
[/b]
This isn't meant to pick on anyone, as it's more of an on topic rant...

Everyone seems to have a similar take on the Silverstars, basically some variation of 'they suck' or 'they don't last long'. Whether or not they suck is that person's opinion and they are entirely entitled to it. However, a distinction needs to be made on which ones 'suck'; is it the OSRAMs or the Sylvanias?

Aren't they the same you ask? Except for the name, OSRAM and Sylvania Silverstars are NOT identical models.

-OSRAM Silverstars are the CLEAR +50% variety and noted with "SVS" after the model number (i.e. H1= 64150 SVS).

-Sylvania Silverstars are the HID-look blue bulb variety and noted with "ST" after the model number (i.e. H1= 64150 ST).

What you'll see on the shelves in the local auto parts store is the Sylvania Silverstar. The OSRAM variety were not as easy to procure before, as it required going through mail order (not any more, as they're packaged as Xtravision in NA).

Seriously, look at the bulb markings and see for yourself.

In a nutshell, if someone says "Silverstars suck harder than a baby and a bottle!!!" ... they need to be asked "Which ones, the CLEAR or HID-look?" END rant....

Going back to what Mikey brought up...

If you want clear style... OSRAM Silverstar or Philips VisionPlus will serve the purpose

If you want HID-look... check out the Philips CrystalVision, PIAA, Sylvania Silverstar, etc etc etc

·
Registered
641 Posts
I have Osram Silverstars in my highs and I moved the OE highs (Philips +30s) to the lows after experimenting with the Osrams in the low position. Not much difference really, but the Osrams seemed more noticeable with the high beam reflectors. Sylvania XtraVision H1s are really Osram Silverstars. AutoZone has 'em.

I think I need to go HID retro in the future.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts