Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried searching to no avail so thought I would ask - has anyone successfully transferred an Audi/VW PhatBox to their 6? If so, how much effort was involved - just a reset and reflash or more? I really like the unit and have been using it about a year in my W8 and would like to take to my next car which should be a MS6(assuming I can get one of those good deals I see in the pricing threads). Thanks

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i'd imagine all you would need is the new wiring harness for the M6.

the PN inputs to the mazda stereo through a 16-pin connector that recieves data & audio. i'm sure it's different than the audi/vw connector.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
you will need to confirm with PN that the model you have is compatible with the 2006. several other devices had compatibility issues, like the AudioLink. in that case, a firmware upgrade was able to resolve the issue.

·
Registered
59 Posts
What's involved with a firmware upgrade?? I assume that this is a dealer specific process. Any details would be appreciated.

you will need to confirm with PN that the model you have is compatible with the 2006. several other devices had compatibility issues, like the AudioLink. in that case, a firmware upgrade was able to resolve the issue.
[/b]

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
What's involved with a firmware upgrade?? I assume that this is a dealer specific process. Any details would be appreciated.
[/b]
you'd need to contact the manufacturer on that. in the case of the audiolink, the guy i bought it from swapped it out, but he did have the capacity to upload the new firmware. i'd think that if your PN already connects to the computer, it would be easy to upload firmware, if available.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On the firmware front - I do recall that there is a "hardware wizard" thing for PN that I had to setup for VW when first installing. Loaded the right stuff on the DMS cartridge and then took a few minutes to boot up the PB the first time. Like suggested I guess I'll have to confirm with PN that my specific PB is compatible with MS6 and then re-run the hardware setup if so - unless somebody else can chime in that they've already done it successfully.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On the firmware front - I do recall that there is a "hardware wizard" thing for PN that I had to setup for VW when first installing. Loaded the right stuff on the DMS cartridge and then took a few minutes to boot up the PB the first time. Like suggested I guess I'll have to confirm with PN that my specific PB is compatible with MS6 and then re-run the hardware setup if so - unless somebody else can chime in that they've already done it successfully.
[/b]
Here's the response I got back from PN when I asked them:

"Thank you for using the PhatNoise Car Audio System! Unfortunately, the
VW and Audi Edition PhatBoxes may only be transferred to other
compatible VW and Audi vehicles. You need to purchase a Mazda Edition
PhatBox directly from a Mazda dealership for your vehicle. Please let us
know if we may answer any other questions you have."

Not what I was hoping for or expecting so I kept searching and turned up this thread on a 3 forum
http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?PHPS...p;topic=41891.0

which basically describes the process of updating the firmware, links to the firmware files, etc - lots of reading required to find what you need but seems like it's all there. Based on this I'm going to order the kit for a 6 and try it.

Incidentally - I may consider the 3 cable which only goes to the glovebox. I already removed the huge (useless) aluminum frame for my VW install. It's pretty small without it and works fine. I'll have to test fit and then make a final decision...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts