Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember Babyblue got one, but I dont remember seeing a review.
I thought there were a few with it here.
Anyone want to do a review?
How long have you had it? Any problems?

Im getting a clutch/flywheel next week and was going to get the phantom grip since ill have everything out anyway.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Damn I seem to remember that a few folks had them installed. But haven't heard any thing in awhile. I do think Xshellshock and Djquik1 have them. Pm Baby Blue though. He was just online a minute ago. He might still be around.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I do have one, and I love it. I've had it on for a few thousand miles now and I have absolutely no complaints about it. I haven't driven it too hard lately since I need stickier tires and I need to fix my front sway, but when I have gotten on it, it works incredibly well. Launches are incredibly smooth, it has eliminated torque steer, and I love the way I can accelerate earlier through corners, especially noticeable to me in rain.

Its definitely a set up you should put in there if you have the extra cash and are already doing the work. You'll need it if you're looking to put down some decent power. I had mine installed when I had warranty work done on my 3rd gear, and so it only cost me 180 to install. I say go for it, you definitely won't look back.

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
i have it on my turbo FE3. it works, but is kinda sketchy at times. it does its job, but if i had to do it again, id go quaif all the way. my roommate just got one in his turbo 2nd gen probe FS. and its just amazing. but he has alot more to spend then i. hence i went the cheap route.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys.

im not really going for all out speed. but if a turbo or supercharger ever get done i figure this wouldnt hurt.

and im getting the lightened flywheel / clutch so might as well.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
i have it on my turbo FE3. it works, but is kinda sketchy at times. it does its job, but if i had to do it again, id go quaif all the way. my roommate just got one in his turbo 2nd gen probe FS. and its just amazing. but he has alot more to spend then i. hence i went the cheap route.[/b]
only problem is quaif isn't currently producing a LSD for us. There was some talk about getting them to produce one, but I haven't noticed any lately.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Donny (FalconTx) of therpmstore has one as well... maybe hit him up for a review.

http://www.autotech.com/quaife/index2.htm does list a mazda6 v6 as one of their applications....

But it says to call so I don't know what's up with that.[/b]
Yeah, I inquired about 2 years ago and they said they might develop it... So far nothing so don't hold your breath for it.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
I have 10k for miles on mine and love it.I have driven the car hard thru some turns and it does the job.I have to agree that it did get rid of the torque steer.If they had a Quaife availible,I would have gone that route,but I got a deal on mine thru grdrail82 and haven't looked back since.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Maybe I'll get this when I get my lightweight flywheel and stage 3 clutch, so I can get it installed when everything's opened up. It's less than $400, so it's not a big deal.[/b]
and its definitely worth it.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Would the phantom grip work for the 6i or is it just V6? I'm wanting to buy an LSD but I can't find anything for my 6i.[/b]
According to Phantom Grip's site, it's a 6s application only.

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
Donny thought it might actually work for the 6i as well, but never got anyone to confirm it. this would be for someone already looking to upgrade the clutch and/or fly so the test fit would be an extra 30min of labor or so. if it doesn't work, then you can always sell it to a 6s doing the same thing.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Donny thought it might actually work for the 6i as well, but never got anyone to confirm it. this would be for someone already looking to upgrade the clutch and/or fly so the test fit would be an extra 30min of labor or so. if it doesn't work, then you can always sell it to a 6s doing the same thing.[/b]
I would guess they would use the same differential, or at least a similar one. Anyone have part numbers for them?

I also don't see it as too difficult for phantom grip to design a new one for the 6i, they would just need some specs would be my guess.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
If that is all their is...

I wish I had the specs... I could probably get my budy to make me one. Hell he could start making one and selling it here LOL...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
12 Participants
xshellshock
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing