Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Replying to Topic 'petrol used'

In North America, the I4 or even the V6 uses normal petrol if you look in the specs. For the other coutries, I have no idea...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Hi,
I'm in Australia
the spec said the fuel used is 95 octane unleaded

·
Registered
163 Posts

Originally posted by shoomer

Hi,
I'm in Australia
the spec said the fuel used is 95 octane unleaded[/b]
Same here in singapore.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Not too many cars are designed to take advantage of premium. Actually, let me rephrase that - many cars on the market will not benefit from premium, only some will. Try it if you'd like, it won't hurt anything. Then try regular. Try the premium again. If you don't feel or hear a difference, save yourself the $$ and stick with regular!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

is it something to do with the compression ratio of the engine?
here in australia is 10.6:1 and most of the cars I see with compression higher than 10 require unleaded petrol with 95 octane or higher. can anyone tell me is it a must to use premium petrol for any engine with higher compression ratio?

·
Registered
53 Posts

Mazda 6's in The Netherlands run only on 95 Octane as well as Singapore and Australia.

I guess all the Mazda 6's run on 95 octane. Simply because they have to comply with the latest European and American fume emition levels as well as some other aspects I guess.

Panther

·
Registered
510 Posts

Hi,

As Panther said, you must use 95 Octane Petrol In Australia, Asia & Europe ...

I believe in America they can use 91 Octane, but their engines are slightly different Tune.

I asked my Dealer about using 91 octane & he said it can cause the Engine to "Ping" & eventually cause damage, So please only use 95 Octane !!!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

See, I've heard different. I've heard that using a lower gas may cause your engine to knock and ride harsher, but won't damage anything. I've switched grades in the past to none the worse...

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

That knocking you hear are the valves...and in a SVT car, Valves are cruicial for the car's operation. The knocking increases wear and you will in the end have to have them retuned...

Never use lower octanes than specified. Higher will do, but usually to no avail. My 6 runs perfectly good on the 95 oct recommended.

·
Registered
231 Posts

To confuse the issue my dealer in Wagga Wagga Australia said that the car runs fine on regular 91 octane and that they fill the cars on the lot up with it. I told him I'd have to see him fill the $45000 yellow one up with it to believe it. He seemed quite confident in the fact and said that with the car purchase a sheet would be added to the warranty, from Mazda Australia, to state that you could use regular in it. I got quite a different tune when I emailed Mazda Australia, but that might have been a standard response since they didn't answer either of my yes/no questions properly

I've done alot of research into this and can find no clear answer.

I'm gonna ask him for a copy of the before mentioned documentation and I'll let people know.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

On my Miata, Mazda recomends US 91 octane (Premium) for best performance. But you can use a lower octane. The ECU will pick up the knock from the Knock Sensor and back off on the timing advance untill there is little to no knock. Car doesn't knock but performance suffers.

Bumping up the timing by modifying the Crank angle sensor is a standard performance mod on the Miata. Will be looking into this for my 6.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Replying to Topic 'p

My understanding is that the North American Mazda6 is rated for standard, Regular 87 Octane fuel.

I'm certainly not the ultimate expert, but Consumer Reports notes in their "Car Care Myths",

"Myth: If regular-grade fuel is good, premium must be better.

Reality: Most vehicles are designed to run just fine on regular-grade (87 octane) fuel. A higher octane number doesn't mean that your vehicle will perform better. It simply means that it's more resistant to engine knocking or pinging. Use the octane grade that's recommended in your vehicle's owner's manual. Filling up with a higher grade is usually a waste of money."

I'm inclined to agree with what they say: If the manufacturer says regular fuel is fine, I'd stick with it and save money! Unless you're noting major predetonation problems, you might as well stick with 87.

Also, point of information: My understanding is that, indeed, higher Octane fuel doesn't necessarily mean better performing fuel; as in, it doesn't contain more energy than regular. Octane, from my understanding, is simply an agent that actually *lessens* fuel's explosive characteristics. Part of the problem with engine knocking and pinging is the fuel igniting before the spark plug goes off (compression ignition rather than spark ignition). Higher Octane fuel simply allows the engine to use higher compression ratios (because the Octane suppresses compression caused pre-ignition); thus increasing power per stroke. Higher compression means you squeeze in more air and fuel, so, with Premium petrol, the ignition stroke yields more power than regular fuel would safely allow.

Anyway, I digress! I was glad to see that the Mazda 6i engine is okay with regular fuel. Premium, when you add it up, is *a lot* more expensive than regular, and I'd much rather put the money saved on regular towards other car improvements!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Let's keep in mind that the US uses the (R+M)/2 method to calculate octane, where most of the world uses RON only. US 91 Octane is actually 98 RON. Regular 87 Octane is 95 RON.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Oh Shit! you ruin it. 87 is 95 ron !

dont want to ruin my car engine and pay more later to fix or even not able to fix it by putting in lower octance fuel.

better be safe than sorry!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts